pixeltracker

WIW on B'way to have similar fate?

WIW on B'way to have similar fate?

broadwaybound882
#0WIW on B'way to have similar fate?
Posted: 1/21/06 at 2:54pm

For those who don't know, WIW is closing in London. There are plans for a UK nat'l tour while the show is "reconcieved." Anyone think that WIW on B'way will suffer a similar fate soon?

colleen_lee
#1re: WIW on B'way to have similar fate?
Posted: 1/21/06 at 2:56pm

Yes. I am positive it will.

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#2re: WIW on B'way to have similar fate?
Posted: 1/21/06 at 2:56pm

If Freiedman was in it, it had a good chance until Tony time. Now, all bets are off

Poster Emeritus

Donnie Darko
#3re: WIW on B'way to have similar fate?
Posted: 1/21/06 at 3:02pm

I don't know. A lot of people might go to see Judy Kuhn in her Broadway return. She hasn't been on the Broadway stage for almost 15 years (Thank GOD!)

WIW sucks!! Friedman is great in it, but not even she can save the shoddy material.

Musical-Forums.net!! Come on over!!!

FoscasBohemianDream
#4re: WIW on B'way to have similar fate?
Posted: 1/21/06 at 4:56pm

I expect the attendance to improve for a couple of weeks as Judy Kuhn steps into the role of Marian. Then it will probably decline again. The show might stay alive till Tony times, and perhaps halfway through the next season, but I doubt it will run long enough to recoup its investment. Woman In White is probably going to be the next Sunset Boulevard minus the Patti LuPone drama, and minus the brilliant Wilder story. The bottom line is the show manages to take all the suspense and excitement from one of the greatest mystery novels. There are a couple of good songs here and there, and Maria Friedman and to an extent Michael Ball somehow make this a slightly appealing musical, but Lloyd Webber needs to stop trying to write the next Phantom and understand audiences have changed.

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#5re: WIW on B'way to have similar fate?
Posted: 1/21/06 at 5:01pm

I stopped by the box office last sunday and they said that it was selling at a steady rate. All the $25 tickets were sold out and they only had a few $75 tickets left. I don't think it'll close before the Tonys.

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#6re: WIW on B'way to have similar fate?
Posted: 1/21/06 at 5:21pm

I don't think it will close before the Tonys, but this show doesn't have they staying power of some others. It's a very insignificant piece of theatre.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

sharon1
#7re: WIW on B'way to have similar fate?
Posted: 1/21/06 at 5:41pm

I love this show. And the fans of Ms. Kuhn will go and see her in it. The show will last at least until Tony time because of the chat about "possible" nominations for Ms. Friedman and Mr. Ball. It may be different "theatre" and not to everyone's liking but I do not think it is "insignificant". Esp. with the performances of the two leads and a stellar ensemble. And whether you agree with the sets or not they are innovative. Just my opinion too.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#8re: WIW on B'way to have similar fate?
Posted: 1/21/06 at 5:44pm

I think it might.

Please fill me in on something: Is Maria Friedman leaving? That's just the idea I got from this thread.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

wickedfreak Profile Photo
wickedfreak
#9re: WIW on B'way to have similar fate?
Posted: 1/21/06 at 5:50pm

Sharon1, I AGREE COMPLEATLY!!!!!! Thanks you for likeing this show! Also, everyone needs to get over the whole movie screen set thing. I know change is hard but get used to it!!

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#10re: WIW on B'way to have similar fate?
Posted: 1/21/06 at 5:54pm

I don't dislike the show and I don't think it's bad. I also don't hate Andrew Lloyd Webber. I just don't think that this show has much going for it, besides, perhaps, the performers.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

ALWrules Profile Photo
ALWrules
#11re: WIW on B'way to have similar fate?
Posted: 1/21/06 at 5:54pm

IT probably will, if not go faster, considering that ALW shows ususally do better in England than in the US

Keep your morals, I don't have time. Keep your lovers, I'm changing mine! -The Likes of Us

Piazzaslight Profile Photo
Piazzaslight
#12re: WIW on B'way to have similar fate?
Posted: 1/21/06 at 5:55pm

I highly doubt it will close before the TONY'S.

I am another lover of this show (Heck, I even put up the love thread for the show!) It's never going to have the success of PHANTOM, there we all agree, but it probably won't be a major flop. It's been doing better a little bit each week, and people at my school have heard good things about it, with my love for the show supporting those opinons. It's advance was small for a Lloyd Webber show, but it's increasing little by very little. So wih good word of mouth and decent enough advertising, the showcould do pretty good on Broadway.

Dancingthrulife: We don't know if Maria is leaving the show. She has been dealing with health issues ever since previews ( Stage 1 Breast Cancer, if you're keeping score) and now she's leaving for six weeks as she undergoes something else with Judy Kuhn filling in for her. Let's hope she doesn't leave so soon. And I'm hoping for a tony for the show, and if not, at least for Maria.

And I totally agree, Sharon1.

MARGARET: "Clara, stop that. That's illegal." - The Light in the Piazza

"I'm not in Bambi and I'm not blonde!" - Idina Menzel
Updated On: 1/21/06 at 05:55 PM

wickedfreak Profile Photo
wickedfreak
#13re: WIW on B'way to have similar fate?
Posted: 1/21/06 at 6:00pm

I am thread jacking!

Whn do the noms fro the tonys come out?

Piazzaslight Profile Photo
Piazzaslight
#14re: WIW on B'way to have similar fate?
Posted: 1/21/06 at 6:02pm

wickedfreak: They usually come out in Mid May.

May 16th, to be exact.

Now thank me and end the threadjack! re: WIW on B'way to have similar fate?

MARGARET: "Clara, stop that. That's illegal." - The Light in the Piazza

"I'm not in Bambi and I'm not blonde!" - Idina Menzel
Updated On: 1/21/06 at 06:02 PM

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#15re: WIW on B'way to have similar fate?
Posted: 1/21/06 at 6:06pm

Piazzaslight: Thanks. I knew about the cancer, but I thought you all meant she was leaving permanently.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#16re: WIW on B'way to have similar fate?
Posted: 1/21/06 at 7:10pm

1 - From what they've said publicly - Friedman will be out until the end of March and then is planning on returning. Hopefully that will be the case

2 - I don't think WIW will be the next Phantom, but it's not going to be "In My Life" either. I personally love it, and will go see Kuhn and Friedman again.

People should hope that it makes it's money back to encourage ALW to continue to produce things in NY. Otherwise, get ready for "The Bangles" jukebox musical next fall.

Jim

jem2 Profile Photo
jem2
#17re: WIW on B'way to have similar fate?
Posted: 1/21/06 at 8:02pm

Well, add me to the WIW lover's list. re: WIW on B'way to have similar fate?

Saw the show this past Tuesday and then bought tickets to see it again on Thursday.

Great cast, I got to see everyone...Maria Friedman and Michael Ball were both present as were all the cast. I feel lucky to have caught Michael Ball on his first night back. He really "brought it" and his vocalization was superb as was his portrayal. Maria Friedman is a powerhouse of a performer and her "All For Laura" had me in major goosebumps.

I didn't dislike the projections (but nor was I loving them), but they do bring this story along much better than if they would have to change scenery in a conventional way. Actually, I didn't pay that much attention to the backgrounds anyway, I was enrapt by the characters too much. I can't imagine what a pain it was for the actors to work along in synch with some of these projections.

I do agree that the first act is perhaps a bit "slow" but it is interesting to watch along as the story and action picks up speed.

While not a really memorable score for me I find a few key songs are embedded in my head and I find myself humming and singing them here and there the last few days. "Evermore Without You" is rather haunting particularly while "I Believe My Heart" is a sweet anthem of love and is rather simple and catchy.

Would I see it again? Yes, I'd love to. re: WIW on B'way to have similar fate?

bwayondabrain
#18re: WIW on B'way to have similar fate?
Posted: 1/21/06 at 8:07pm

for me, im not really sure, i think it will last till about mid-summer or so.
the music is not that great in my opinion but i love maria!

all the best for this show...

musicalfan
#19re: WIW on B'way to have similar fate?
Posted: 1/21/06 at 8:47pm

I hope it'll make it until I can see it! Maybe I'm just an ALW freak but I love the music and have listened to it over and over. I want it to do well because I personally love this pseudo-opera style of musical and don't want it to die out. Just trying to figure out when I can make it to NYC...guess I'd better go by June if I want to be sure to see it.

broadwaybound882
#20re: WIW on B'way to have similar fate?
Posted: 1/21/06 at 9:15pm

Hi. Yes, i like the show. Howevever, what I was meaning is, seeing how, they are going to revamp WIW in London, do you think if THAT works out, will they do the revamping here also. Sorry for the confusion. me, personally, I think that the show will make TONY time just because of all the ALW fans out there (myself included)

nomdeplume
#21re: WIW on B'way to have similar fate?
Posted: 1/21/06 at 9:45pm

If they are going to tweak the show before they tour it in the U.K., I hope they will introduce the Baron and Count in the first ten minutes of the show and give a hint that the two are up to some infamy to up the stakes from the start...

Michael Ball deserves a Tony nom for his performance in this.

I want to see it again with Judy Kuhn. She has one heck of a voice...

jem2 Profile Photo
jem2
#22re: WIW on B'way to have similar fate?
Posted: 1/21/06 at 11:31pm

that's a good idea there, nomdeplume. It would give the first act a bit of a jump start...it does start out a bit slowly. Once it gains momentum it's fine.

Also agree with you about Michael Ball, whose performance is very Tony worthy...

jo
#23re: WIW on B'way to have similar fate?
Posted: 1/22/06 at 12:21am

If only people would give it a chance!

Based on what posters ( here and on ATC) who have seen the show say, most ended up liking the show with or without some reservations. The cast gets almost universal praise and people are somewhat divided about the musical score and the projections. But many agree that it should be seen.

I won't be able to see it again until TONY time - I hope the show would have a more solid audience base by then...and beyond.

Jo

ALWrules Profile Photo
ALWrules
#24re: WIW on B'way to have similar fate?
Posted: 1/22/06 at 1:01am

What date is it closing? And what's your source?

Keep your morals, I don't have time. Keep your lovers, I'm changing mine! -The Likes of Us

Videos