"Hairspray" film cast

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#0"Hairspray" film cast
Posted: 1/29/06 at 12:25am

I had just read (I'll find the source again and post it) the roles that were already cast in the film. Travolta, as we all knew, Crystal, Meryl Streep as Velma, Queen Latifah as Motormouth Maybelle and they are still looking for the others, I believe there is an open call in Canada. Still seems no Tracey, Penny, Seaweed or Lil Inez - I think they cast Link but I don't recall who. I'll check it again and post the link (no pun intended, LOL!)

"It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS, but no one should die of ignorance." - Elizabeth Taylor

Swiftynifty15
#1re: 'Hairspray' film cast
Posted: 1/29/06 at 12:39am

So it is official?

DramaDork925
#2re: 'Hairspray' film cast
Posted: 1/29/06 at 12:42am

There are open calls in NY, Atlanta and Chicago

Am I cut out to spend my time this way?

Fosse76
#3re: 'Hairspray' film cast
Posted: 1/29/06 at 12:53am

As far as I know, NO ONE has been officially cast.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#4re: 'Hairspray' film cast
Posted: 1/29/06 at 1:03am

Is Penny included in the open auditions?

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#5re: 'Hairspray' film cast
Posted: 1/29/06 at 1:09am

I cannot seem to find the article I had read just now, But Penny was still being cast it said. I found this other bit here - however, the one I am still looking for sure sounded definative. You can check this one out and I'll keep looking for the other.
http://www.hollywood.com/movies/fulldetail/id/3464464

"It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS, but no one should die of ignorance." - Elizabeth Taylor

DramaDork925
#6re: 'Hairspray' film cast
Posted: 1/29/06 at 1:09am

No, just Tracy, Little Inez and Seaweed.

Am I cut out to spend my time this way?

respeck Profile Photo
respeck
#7re: 'Hairspray' film cast
Posted: 1/29/06 at 1:14am

Meryl Streep? You have to be kidding.

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#8re: 'Hairspray' film cast
Posted: 1/29/06 at 1:31am

I had the same initial reaction but it could be worse, Glenn Close you know?

NYC4Life Profile Photo
NYC4Life
#9re: 'Hairspray' film cast
Posted: 1/29/06 at 1:40am

Meryl Streep is a great singer and actress. Whats the problem?

respeck Profile Photo
respeck
#10re: 'Hairspray' film cast
Posted: 1/29/06 at 1:52am

It just seems unlike her to take that role. Don't get me wrong she can do anything, but it seemed an odd choice for a cream of the crop actress to take a role originated by Debbie Harry.
Updated On: 1/29/06 at 01:52 AM

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#11re: 'Hairspray' film cast
Posted: 1/29/06 at 2:21am

Hopefully they are looking for a Link that's from Toronto where they are filming.... re: 'Hairspray' film cast

Akiva

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#12re: 'Hairspray' film cast
Posted: 1/29/06 at 4:56am

Regarding Meryl, I simply didn't think she would desire that role - like perhaps a tad too small for her? I dunno, Just struck me awkward. She can sing! (And Act, maybe dance too - wouldn't doubt it!)

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#13re: 'Hairspray' film cast
Posted: 1/29/06 at 5:41am

OK jimmirae, look for the other article you're referring to. The link you posted here lists Harvey Fierstein AND John Travolta (huh?), Marissa Jaret Winokur is listed also. Post a reliable source then we can speak further.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 1/29/06 at 05:41 AM

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#14re: 'Hairspray' film cast
Posted: 1/29/06 at 10:51am

The only substantial names are the ones listed by Variety in the beginning, which are John Travolta (Edna,) Billy Crystal (Wlibur,) and Queen Latifah (Motormouth Maybelle.) These same three names came up again with the announcement of the casting call, but even so, they still aren't confirmed.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 1/29/06 at 10:51 AM

Ruprecht2
#15re: 'Hairspray' film cast
Posted: 1/29/06 at 12:11pm

I DO NOT LIKE HOW JOHN TRAVOLTA IS BEING EDNA! UGH! IT DOESN'T WORK IN MY OPINION! HE'S NOT... EDNA! IT SHOULD BE HARVEY!! AHHHHHH I DONT' LIKE IT! RAHHHHH!!!!!

Playbill9117 Profile Photo
Playbill9117
#16re: 'Hairspray' film cast
Posted: 1/29/06 at 12:31pm

Calm Down, Charlie Brown.
Travolta (although not my favorite choice) is a very versatile and talented actor. Besides, he did play Barbara Sriesand on SNL once! It probably won't be all bad. We can't do anything about it anyway.

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#17re: 'Hairspray' film cast
Posted: 1/29/06 at 12:35pm

Meryl Streep is actually a pretty inspired choice for Velma. She's really displayed a great comic sensibility of late (more than making up for Death Becomes Her). I think she'd be fantastic.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

way_to_spend_the_day Profile Photo
way_to_spend_the_day
#18re: 'Hairspray' film cast
Posted: 1/29/06 at 12:35pm

If you've got Queen Latifah and Billy Crystal, you DO NOT need John Travolta because you already have the star quality! Harvey won a tony for the role and has done movies and would be so great in this movie. John Travolta's last movie didn't even do that well, did it? Is anyone else having trouble picturing Billy and John together during Timeless to Me? It just seems so akward. John seems like such a weird choice. He can play corney or something, but please not Edna!!!

***It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves. -- William Shakespeare***

greenegirl87
#19re: 'Hairspray' film cast
Posted: 1/29/06 at 12:38pm

"Besides, he did play Barbara Sriesand on SNL once! "

I can't tell you how much I laughed when I read that! Obviously, if he can do Streisand he's going to be a fabulous Edna.

On a more serious note, I am kind of excited about Travolta, as interesting as some of the parts he plays are, I think he is very talented and will be excited to see him do some of the things he did in his "younger" days again.

"But now the air is filled with confusion. We replace care with illusion."

bwayondabrain
#20re: 'Hairspray' film cast
Posted: 1/29/06 at 12:40pm

so, that article IS official?
pretty cool!
but why are marissa and harvey still listed. are they having cameos?

Playbill9117 Profile Photo
Playbill9117
#21re: 'Hairspray' film cast
Posted: 1/29/06 at 12:41pm

You all seem to forget that even if the film's producers felt a need to even consider our opinions, Harvey will be in Vegas doing Hairspray for the next three months. Sorry folks, his dance card is full.

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#22re: 'Hairspray' film cast
Posted: 1/29/06 at 12:42pm

John Travolta's last movie didn't even do that well, did it?

He hasn't really had a well received movie in almost six years now. Be Cool wasn't a disaster but it wasn't a runaway success either.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

ShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
#23re: 'Hairspray' film cast
Posted: 1/29/06 at 12:50pm

Regardless of how successful his movies have been...people know and love him and are going to want to see him...especially in this.

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#24re: 'Hairspray' film cast
Posted: 1/29/06 at 2:12pm

I'll tell you what -- if Harvey Fierstein was cast I most likely wouldn't bother going to the movie. I don't understand the appeal of a man who simply CANNOT sing in musicals. Yes, he can write. Yes, he can be funny. No amount of argument is going to convince me that he can sing - or that his "unique" voice works in character. That's absurd. Not that American Idol is the height of singing quality, but can you IMAGINE what the judges would have said if he walked into the room and auditioned???

Travolta can sing. We know that. Travolta can dance. We know that. Travolta is a NAME which is going to be needed for that role, regardless of who else is in the movie. I think this is great casting.

Definitely beats Depp as Sweeney Todd (I still hope I was dreaming that one).

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

Videos