Broadway's Tragedies

BlueAmerica07
#0Broadway's Tragedies
Posted: 2/9/06 at 12:26pm

Hey everyone! I was wondering what you would consider some of Broadway's greatest and most recent tragedies would be. Being a musical person, myself the only one I can really think of is Rent possibly (pathetic I know Broadway's Tragedies ) Any help is greatly appreciated!

mozer27
#1re: Broadway's Tragedies
Posted: 2/9/06 at 12:29pm

Tracy Miller leaving hairspray that was a tragedy

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#2re: Broadway's Tragedies
Posted: 2/9/06 at 12:36pm

ASU closing was a tragedy.

BlueAmerica07
#3re: Broadway's Tragedies
Posted: 2/9/06 at 12:38pm

lol no no I mean shows that are tragedies, not tragedies in broadway

peach
#4re: Broadway's Tragedies
Posted: 2/9/06 at 12:40pm

Les Miz

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#5re: Broadway's Tragedies
Posted: 2/9/06 at 1:06pm

Parade

"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." --Harold Hill from The Music Man

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#6re: Broadway's Tragedies
Posted: 2/9/06 at 1:07pm

I guess Ragtime could also be considered tragic

"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." --Harold Hill from The Music Man

Fosse76
#7re: Broadway's Tragedies
Posted: 2/9/06 at 1:08pm

"ASU closing was a tragedy."

ASU being produced was the real tragedy.

ashers2u Profile Photo
ashers2u
#8re: Broadway's Tragedies
Posted: 2/9/06 at 1:10pm

i cannot for the life of me figure out what ASU is...i know its probably so obvious

I was lost 'til I heard the drums, then I found my way

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#9re: Broadway's Tragedies
Posted: 2/9/06 at 1:10pm

I always sort of thought "tragedy" inferred a tragic ending - I can't really think of many musicals that fit that bill - except for things like MARIE CHRISTINE and WEST SIDE STORY which are based on earlier tragedies of classical literature.

I wouldn't consider RAGTIME or LES MIZ to be tragedies because both end with main characters redeamed.

Hal Prince saw SWEENEY TODD as a tragedy - Sweeney being a victim of British society and class, though I'm not completely sure Sondheim would agree with that interpretation.

Ironically, Terry Hands who directed the legendary flop CARRIE said he saw the musical as a greek tragedy.

Updated On: 2/9/06 at 01:10 PM

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#10re: Broadway's Tragedies
Posted: 2/9/06 at 1:15pm

In my post I meant that Ragtime had tragic elements in it, not necessarily the components of Classic Greek Tragedies (classic tragic Hero, tragic flaw, reversal, downfall, etc), but several sympathetic characters are killed.

Updated On: 2/9/06 at 01:15 PM

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#11re: Broadway's Tragedies
Posted: 2/9/06 at 1:16pm

It could be argued that Molina in Kiss of the Spiderwoman is a tragic hero in the classic sense.

CJR
#12re: Broadway's Tragedies
Posted: 2/9/06 at 1:18pm

Bounce was rather tragic

"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#13re: Broadway's Tragedies
Posted: 2/9/06 at 1:26pm

In My Life

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#14re: Broadway's Tragedies
Posted: 2/9/06 at 1:28pm

Titanic

Magdalene Profile Photo
Magdalene
#15re: Broadway's Tragedies
Posted: 2/9/06 at 1:30pm

What about Miss Saigon? (It's been a while since I've seen it, so my memory is a bit spotty)

"NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"

BroadwayChica Profile Photo
BroadwayChica
#16re: Broadway's Tragedies
Posted: 2/9/06 at 1:49pm

What is ASU? eta: nevermind, it's "Al Shook Up" doi! :p

I'd say Miss Saigon definitely has tragic elements, though I don't think it falls into the greek definition for "tragedy".

Updated On: 2/9/06 at 01:49 PM

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#17re: Broadway's Tragedies
Posted: 2/9/06 at 2:32pm

Absolutely,
Kiss of the Spiderwoman!

ashley0139
#18re: Broadway's Tragedies
Posted: 2/9/06 at 2:36pm

ASU is All Shook Up.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

BroadwayChica Profile Photo
BroadwayChica
#19re: Broadway's Tragedies
Posted: 2/9/06 at 2:37pm

Ashley, I swear I edited my message before I read your reply. lol But thanks for the response to my dumb question!

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#20re: Broadway's Tragedies
Posted: 2/9/06 at 3:22pm

Well, Aida has tragic elements to it, as does Jekyll & Hyde.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

sweeedboy
#21re: Broadway's Tragedies
Posted: 2/9/06 at 3:30pm

Not yet a broadway production, but Sweden's Kristina Fran Duvemala is an incredible tragedy. Brilliant work!

Gothampc
#22re: Broadway's Tragedies
Posted: 2/9/06 at 3:31pm

"Ironically, Terry Hands who directed the legendary flop CARRIE said he saw the musical as a greek tragedy."

Too bad he didn't communicate that to Debbie Allen.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

BSoBW3 Profile Photo
BSoBW3
#23re: Broadway's Tragedies
Posted: 2/9/06 at 3:34pm

MARIE CHRISTINE.

Gotham - it's also a shame that when the Americans said they wanted "GREASE" they British heard "GREECE."

The smallest stream is a valent river. It will drown me if it can.

Creative Lunatic
#24re: Broadway's Tragedies
Posted: 2/9/06 at 4:28pm

Edward Albee's "The Goat"