pixeltracker

Best Cirque du Soliel Show?- Page 3

Best Cirque du Soliel Show?

Josh Freilich
#50re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 2/18/06 at 5:04pm

B to the izzump

"How could she just suddenly, completely disappear into thin water?" - The Little Mermaid

jakebloke Profile Photo
jakebloke
#51re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 2/18/06 at 6:44pm

I just returned from Orlando 30 minutes ago. I was their for a business convention. And I despise the place, but went to see La Nouba and loved it. It was great.

"O" is still the best though. It's truely one of the most beautiful things I've seen on stage.

Kimmygonbefamous Profile Photo
Kimmygonbefamous
#52re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 2/18/06 at 7:05pm

I've heard alot of the recordings, and seen Dralion, Varekai, and Alegria on TV. Of the music I've heard, Dralion and Alegria are my favorites.

"You can only become truly accomplished at something you love. Don't make money your goal. Instead, pursue the things you love doing, and do them so well that people can't take their eyes off you." - Maya Angelou

Fantabulous428 Profile Photo
Fantabulous428
#53re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 2/18/06 at 7:07pm

I saw a show in Vegas probably 7 years ago - I don't even know which one it was.

I recognize the addiction to being alive.
Updated On: 2/18/06 at 07:07 PM

hak Profile Photo
hak
#54re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 2/18/06 at 7:45pm

i've seen:

DRALION
VAREKAI
QUIDAM
CORTEO
"O"
MYSTERE
KA
and ZUMANITY:the other side of cirque du soleil

i think Cirque is a great combination of theatre and circus!! how someone could find it boring is beyond me

my fav is ZUMANITY, which is NOT a typical Cirque show, which neither KA nor "O" are either, simply for the fact that they are resident [vegas] shows that can not travel under the blue and yellow tent. of the touring shows i liked VAREKAI best.

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#55re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 2/18/06 at 8:45pm

jimwnyc,

You are very misled on the Matthew Cusick case. He was fired because he would be performing in an act with high risk of injury and witheld the fact that he was HIV+ from his employers and tried to play his firing off as a discrimination suit. If, god forbid, he had fallen and was injured (not trying to be overly graphic) there ran a high risk. Cirque's larger beef was with him witholding his status with a disease that is spreadable through certain forms of contact.

I'm a HUGE CdS fan, my first obsession before Broadway. I've seen every travelling show as they've come through the NYC area:

Cirque du Soleil shows I have seen and when:
1. Saltimbanco - New York – Spring 1993
2. Alegria – New York – Spring 1995
3. Quidam – New York – Spring 1998
4. Dralion – Jersey City, NJ – Spring 2001
5. Varekai – New York – Summer 2003
6. Alegria – New York – 23May04
7. Alegria – Philadelphia – 17Jul04
8. Corteo - Montreal - 23Apr05
9. Varekai – E. Rutherford, NJ - 12Jul05
10. Varekai – E. Rutherdord, NJ – 27Jul05 (2nd Act Only)
11. Varekai – E. Rutherford, NJ – 28Jul05
12. Varekai – Hartford, CT – 31Sep05

I would say my favorite show is Alegria, and Corteo was another favorite for me. I love them all for different reasons. I've unfortunately never had the chance to see a Resident show (O, Zumanity, Mystere, La Nouba).

M&M, they are in creation and near premier of a show based on the Beatles' music which is under the working titles The Boys and HELP! It will feature canned (non-live) music of the Beatles and from what I gathered from reading the casting section, will center around "4 boys who will become the fab 4."

About Corteo:

I saw this show when it premiered in Montreal last April. It was so amazing and completely endearing. The difference between this and other Cirque shows is it is quite human and the characters on stage are meant to interact with the audience. The imagery is all very accessible, not outlandish or surreal like that of Quidam. I would suggest any theater fan to see this and any Cirque show, but this being especially theatrical. If anyone had the chance to see Cirque Eloize: Rain at the New Victory Theater this past July, it is by the same director, Daniele Finzi Pasca, who is just wonderful.

The only set back is the prices for tickets are so high in NYC! NJ was semi-expensive, but seeing Varekai in Hartford and Alegria in Philly were a fraction of the price. Quidam is by far the most acclaimed and most surrealistic epitome of Cirque and will be in Philly this summer. I would suggest for everyone to take a day trip down to see it, for I'm not sure if NYC is on it's plan as of now.

For great information and insider facts you won't get on the official site, check out:

www.cirquetribune.com - The Cirque Tribune

and for tour dates/cities

www.cirquedusoleil.com - Cirque du Soleil official Site

I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America. [turns and winks directly into the camera] - Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) on 30 Rock

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#56re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 2/19/06 at 4:51am

And muscle23ftl you could not be MORE wrong about Cirque

Yes, CdS is in theory circus, but by nature circus is centered around animals and cheesey spectacle alone. Cirque is a unique blend of theater, dance, song, acrobatics, and amazing costumes and it really shows your ignorance to call it boring, especially calling yourself a fan of the theater, you should be open to all mediums of theater, and I think this is certainly considered to be one of them.

I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America. [turns and winks directly into the camera] - Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) on 30 Rock

Hank
#57re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 2/19/06 at 6:02am

Alegria!
It was the first Cirque du Soliel show I have seen and still my favorite.
All of their productions are fun to watch, but what sets Alegria apart is the music. I love it, love it, love it too.
And I loved the girl with the hoops too!

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#58re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 2/22/06 at 8:33pm

The original Alegria "Singer in White" Francesca Gagnon is absolutely FABULOUS. Not only is her voice haunting and enchanting on the CD, but her solo CDs are not to be missed!

The original Alegria "Singer in Black (harmonies)" Isabelle Corradi returned to the show and rotated with Ève Montpetit, whom in an interesting factoid both performed in the Montréal/Ottawa cast of Les Misérables (1991). What's important about this cast is it was the first cast to be able to perform the show fully in French AND English!

If anyone saw Dralion, the original Oceane character, Sheetal Gandhi, left the show to be in the Broadway production of Bombay Dreams.

TheaterAddict7652
#59re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 2/22/06 at 8:40pm

I've only seen Varekai, but it was one of the best things I've ever seen. This includes plays, musicals, concerts and dance performences.

There's a lot I am not certain of...

today4u:proofpositiv
#60re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 2/22/06 at 8:42pm

The only one I saw was Corteo last summer, and it was pretty cool. Defineately worth checking out.

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#61re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 2/22/06 at 8:47pm

I'll be going to Corteo in NYC this Spring

I'm hoping to bring some friends, I love exposing people to Cirque. I hope it's as endearing as it was at premier.

flaemmchen Profile Photo
flaemmchen
#62re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 2/23/06 at 12:40am

I've never actually seen a Cirque show live, but my mother and I are obsessed and own every C.D. except for Ka, and have seen all the DVDs. My favorite is O; it has such an eclectic mix of sounds, from middle eastern to the ethereal tinkly sound of water, and the vocals are amazing, nevermind the fact that it's all done underwater! I'll never forget seeing the Bateau act performed on Dateline or 20/20, one of those.
After O...Varekai, Quidam, and Alegria.

"Peace! The charm's wound up." --Macbeth
Updated On: 2/23/06 at 12:40 AM

Mia2
#63re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 2/27/06 at 6:27pm

From what I've seen live, I really love
Corteo - Very whimsical. Smaller than most other cirque. It feels cozy, and a lot of the props were very creatively incorporated. For example, girls doing acrobats on giant chandeliars, and people doing acrobats on trampolines disguise as beds.

Mystere (tribal feel, very festive and colorful, nice costumes, and the acts are great too.) I've seen it 4 times.

Ka (It feels more like a very good play than a normal Cirque show. The most extravagant Cirque set. The acrobats weren't as great as others, but I thought it was very artistic and there were a lot of clever ideas.

Varekai is also gorgeous. The acts were creative and it has a very nice feel overall.

Quidam was the first show I saw, I also really loved it because it felt like a dream ^^.

Allegria - My parents saw Allegria live, but I saw it on DVD. The music and the costumes were gorgeous. I really wish I can see it live.

And the ones that I didn't like much was:
Dralion - The live show wasn't too good because they kept using this little chinese girl on almost every act. She messed up a lot of times probably because she was tired... the poor girl. The set, color, and costumes were beautiful though. I just thought the show had the potential to be much better.

Zumanity was the worst show that I've ever seen. I think there was 1 acrobats and the rest wasn't interesting. They had a lot of slapstick sex jokes like guys running around in Dildos and a dragqueen host.. It was very different, but I didn't like it and neither did my boyfriend.

but if Corteo is going to be in your area, you should definitely go check it out =].

Bdwy24
#64re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 2/27/06 at 6:55pm

All I have to say is DELERIUM!!!!!!!!! It's the newest show. CHECK IT OUT!! I think this would be by far the best out of all of them. It focuses more on the dance/music. It's great and just my two cents.

Renthead#1 Profile Photo
Renthead#1
#65re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 6/4/06 at 11:39pm

I love Alegria and La Noube. I like La Nouba more though.

Go ask Alice When she's ten feet tall

neddyfrank2
#66re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 6/4/06 at 11:47pm

I am very excited for The Beatles one.

senortenor Profile Photo
senortenor
#67re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 6/4/06 at 11:56pm

The only show I have seen live is O, and my friend and I were absolutely glued to our seats. We snagged VIP seats last minute by waiting in the rush line, so to speak, and I remember we were kinda biting our nails wondering if we should spend approx. $130 per ticket to see a show we knew nothing about. It was worth that and more. One of the most amazing things I have ever seen. The performers in Cirque du Soleil work so physically hard. I don't know how they do that again and again day after day, show after show.

ComaBaby01 Profile Photo
ComaBaby01
#68re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 6/5/06 at 12:04am

Has anyone seen Delirium yet...? I hear its absolutely amazing.

"Love all; Trust a few; Do wrong to none." --William Shakespeare

Lavieboheme3090 Profile Photo
Lavieboheme3090
#69re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 6/5/06 at 12:09am

I saw DELERIUM when it came to Little Rock. All I have to say is 60 foot volcano dress.

RentBoy86
#70re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 6/5/06 at 12:58am

I really want to see their new one. I was reading in Entertainment Weekly about it. It uses the songs of the Beatles. I bet it's pretty good. Anyone know the name?

orchajaws Profile Photo
orchajaws
#71re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 6/5/06 at 1:22am

The name of the Beatles/Cirque show at the Mirage in Las Vegas is "LOVE."

smiles Profile Photo
smiles
#72re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 6/5/06 at 7:36am

I've seen Corteillo and Drallion. I would say Drallion was a better show but maybe that was because I saw Corteillo while they were still working on it....they still had some things to fix up.

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#73re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 6/5/06 at 8:17am

I have seen both O and MYSTERE live and in person and vidoes of a couple of the others and I like O the best of those I've seen.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

Thesbijean
#74re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 6/5/06 at 8:36am

"O" without a doubt...