pixeltracker

Best Cirque du Soliel Show?- Page 4

Best Cirque du Soliel Show?

BrianWilsonFan
#75re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 6/5/06 at 9:36am

I saw La Nouba in Florida with my family. I was happy to see the show once but wouldn't go again. My family however absolutely loved it, so it just goes to show there's no accounting for taste.

George Martin is working on the Cirque du Soliel/Love as we write with input from Paul McCartney. I know for sure Hey Jude is on there...

Updated On: 6/5/06 at 09:36 AM

bwayboi4life42 Profile Photo
bwayboi4life42
#76re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 6/5/06 at 11:32am

It's so hard to choose a favorite out of their shows. Out of the ones I've seen, here is my order...

1. Alegria
2. Dralion
3. Varekai
4. La Nouba
5. Saltimbanco

When Delirium came to Houston, I couldn't see it as I was in a show, but everyone I talked to said it was horrible.

Edit: But then again, they weren't big Cirque fans, so I don't know.

"I believe that art does not exist only to entertain, but also to challenge one to think, to provoke, even to disturb, to engage in a constant search for the truth." - Barbra Streisand
Updated On: 6/5/06 at 11:32 AM

tgrabon Profile Photo
tgrabon
#77re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 6/5/06 at 1:36pm

KA at MGM in Vegas is my favorite Cirque du Soleil show because it tells a strong, clear story and the special effects are huge. Dralion is my favorite touring Cirque show.

timmmmmmmmmy

aihyde007 Profile Photo
aihyde007
#78re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 6/5/06 at 3:32pm

Of the ones I've seen, I rank them as follows:

Varekai
Quidam
Alegria
Corteo

The acts and the music from Varekai are the best! Some of my fav songs are:

El Pendulo
Vocea
Rain One
Kero Hiyero

I love the music from Quidam, the young girl's voice is amazing.

I saw Alegria 11 years ago. The music is ok but the characters scared the crap out of me.

Saw Corteo last month. There was only one act I was impressed with. The music wasn't anything great. I got cheap discounted tix so I wasn't that upset but I wouldn't pay to see it again and if I had a chance to do it over, I would probably skip it.

I also like the music from La Nouba and Drallion!

hak Profile Photo
hak
#79re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 6/5/06 at 9:48pm

again i say.....

ZUMANITY:another side of Cirque Du Soleil

Chrysanthemum62001
#80re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 6/5/06 at 10:34pm

I've seen Varakai and La Nouba. Both were fantastic. I'm gonna try to see Corteo before it leaves New York.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#81re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 6/5/06 at 10:54pm

I will be seeing Corteo tomorrow night for my second time (the first @ the premier weekend in Montreal, so it should be interesting to see the changes).

The new show is "LOVE" opening @ the Mirage. It's in previews now. The press release was a couple of weeks ago. You can watch some of the footage here, it looks pretty amazing although I was originally apprehensive. I'll post a Corteo review tomorrow :)

LOVE Press Release - (http://www.prnewswire.com/mnr/kirvindoak/24405/)

I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America. [turns and winks directly into the camera] - Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) on 30 Rock
Updated On: 6/5/06 at 10:54 PM

TicketMediaGuy
#82re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 6/6/06 at 11:27am

I've seen every production of Cirque Du Soleil since they first made their United Stated debut during the 1984 Olympic Arts Festival in Los Angeles. I suppose I grew out of them now.
I've stopped going to see their shows after Varekai. That's when I suddenly realized that all their shows are pretty much the same now - The same old circus acts dressed up in a different way. You gotta have a gimmick, I guess...

Out of all the shows I've seen (including the resident shows in Vegas and Orlando as well as their two movie productions) I'd have to say that IMHO the best Cirque show was the first one brought to the United States in 1984. At that time it had no title. It was just called "Cirque Du Soleil". When they returned to the US with the same show a year later they named it with the French equivlalent to "The Magic Continues/Returns".

Okay, so WHY do I love that show so much? Maybe it was because it was my first Cirque experience, but I think it's mainly because with such a small budget they were able to do really amazing, creative and professional things. That first Cirque show was BIG, yet intimate, and you connected with each performance.

It was also the first time that something like this was ever done on such a large scale before and that was exciting to all in the audience. The audience was in awe of everything being done and everything they saw which made a definate energy that was cast between the audience and the performers. That brings up another point. The performers weren't perfect. At one of the shows I saw the slack rope walker had fallen, and the audience was applauding her while she climbed back onto the rope - that was the first time I'd seen such encouragement in a theatrical setting.

Even though the story was thin, you understood the story and went with these "tourists" on their journey without any hesitations. And at the end of the show you didn't want it to end - It was as if we were dreaming, and the dream had evaporated into a cloud.

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#83re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 6/16/06 at 8:21pm

After much drama and ticket switching, I finally saw Corteo again last night

It was my second time seeing the show, the first being in Montreal for the premier, and first for my parents and brother. For a show I had already seen, I was completely and utterly blow away. The show has evolved so beautifully and the new musical additions to the show are breath-taking.

For those accostumed to the other more pantomime-based shows by CdS, Corteo is completely different. The characters are in humanistic costumes and are very accessible. They also talk in French, English, Italian, Spanish, and Russian. The emotions do not get lost in translation for each character knows what is going on, as well as the audience.

A brief synopsis of the plot is the show takes place in and around the funeral of Mauro (and Italian/English speaking clown). The clowns in the show are not Ringling Brothers scary, they are completely lovable. The show is much more theatrical due to director Daniele Finzi Pasca (Cirque Eloize: Rain). Pasca is a fan of dialogue and comedy, having had been a clown in his liftime, as well as having all characters on the stage singing. Although the shows theme can be seen as morbid, the clown is throughout the show as an almost journey throughout his "ascension." He re-meets many characters of his life until finally ascending. There are amazing acrobatics as well as acting, singing, and costumes that will amaze anyone with a theatrical flare/interest.

I would urge anyone with the funds and the time to see this show, especially fans of Cirque's other shows. It is unlike anything else you've ever seen.

I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America. [turns and winks directly into the camera] - Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) on 30 Rock

BrianWilsonFan
#84re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 6/16/06 at 8:40pm

June 16, 2006 -- Las Vegas Journal Review

McCartney feels love of cast, crew

To Sir, with love.

Sir Paul McCartney received a royal welcome at The Mirage on Thursday from the cast and crew after his first viewing of "Love," the new Cirque du Soleil show featuring the music of The Beatles.

Sixty cast members and more than 120 technicians serenaded the music icon with a chorus of "Happy Birthday." McCartney, who turns 64 on Sunday, flew in shortly before the show.

As he exited the show, admirers shouted "thank you Paul" amid applause.

He was to leave Las Vegas late Thursday en route to London, where he planned to celebrate his birthday with family, a Cirque source said.

Thursday was the 50th anniversary of the first meeting of McCartney and John Lennon. McCartney, then 13, and Lennon, 15, met at a church dinner, where Lennon's rock group, The Quarrymen, were performing.

jeremykushnier1fan Profile Photo
jeremykushnier1fan
#85re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 6/16/06 at 8:47pm

Corteo - anyone hear about a soundtrack/recording for this show?

One Song Glory
#86re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 6/16/06 at 8:57pm

I really love La Nouba. I've seen it a couple times and I always enjoy watching it.

I'm not a gay stereotype. I'm a coincidence.

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#87re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 6/16/06 at 9:10pm

The soundtrack is currently in production for Corteo

We have some fears that it may be an "inspired by" album much like the sountracks of Zumanity and Varekai, but from what we know a full chorus has been used to record quite accurate versions of the choral parts in the show.

The DVD is available and for the most accurate representation of the show's music, I would just rip the audio from that. The aerial straps act on the DVD has changed now to a duo and has a new (AMAZING) song, there is a new Pas des Deux added with new music, and I'm pretty sure the Trapeze "Paradise" song has changed from DVD to what I saw last night.

broadway guy
#88re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 6/14/12 at 6:02pm

This thread is really old but cirque du soleil is still alive and going strong so I though I would comment on what i think is the best cirque du soleil show.

I think its impossible to say what is THE BEST cirque du soleil show cause that is based on opinion.But technically speaking I believe that "Ka" in las vegas is the most lavish and extravagent show cirque has ever had. The rotating stage is breath taking.

My personal favorite is Mystere.It was also my First cirque show I ever saw. I have also seen la nouba and while its not my favorite i do love it. It's a very cute show and great for disney.

"O" is a great show also. In my book its probally the 2nd most impressive cirque show out there.

I auditioned for cirque as a power tumbler and made it though the rigorous audition and am in the pool of athletes they pick for shows :)

Idiot Profile Photo
Idiot
#89re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 6/14/12 at 6:07pm

Quidam, hands down. Followed by Mystere.

hermajesty Profile Photo
hermajesty
#90re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 6/14/12 at 6:17pm

I saw my first Cirque Du Soliel show many years ago at the Albert hall, London; it's so long ago I can't remember but I will never forget the talent ever. What a magnificent show it was

All problems are man made and so, can be man solved.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#91re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 6/14/12 at 6:27pm

I've only seen five or so over the past 15 years, but my fave out of the more traditional Cirque style shows Franco Dragone did before he defected to do Reve for another group in Las Vegas and concerts for Celine, is probably Alegria, which sorta is the quintessential Cirque show for me. Too bad their attempt at somehow turning it into a narrative feature film was such an embarassing, puzzling mess.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#92re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 6/14/12 at 6:33pm

Since my last post I actually saw KA in Vegas. As usual, the story is muddled but it is visually stunning. I also saw ZARKANA last summer. Can't believe they are bringing it back. Recycled acts. Very nice to look at but when the sand art person, in my opinion, is the highlight of the evening....

Just give the world Love.

Scottsacto Profile Photo
Scottsacto
#93re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 6/14/12 at 6:42pm

My Favorite Cirque shows would have top be "O" at the Bellagio in Vegas and "The Beatles-Love" at the Mirage. I am sorry, but I found "Zumanity" to ne the tamest and most watered down "Erotic" show ever.

Updated On: 6/14/12 at 06:42 PM

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#94re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 6/14/12 at 6:59pm

My friend saw the new tent show in Canada and said he really enjoyed it.

Just give the world Love.

luvcaroline Profile Photo
luvcaroline
#95re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 6/14/12 at 7:00pm

I've only seen the Vegas Cirques and this is how I would rate them:
1. Love
2. Ka
3. Mystere
4. 0 (We had previously seen Le Reve at Wynn and thought that it was better)
5. Zumanity

broadway guy
#96re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 6/14/12 at 7:04pm

"Since my last post I actually saw KA in Vegas. As usual, the story is muddled but it is visually stunning"

that's surprising to me cause i have always felt that Ka has the MOST storyline out of all the cirque shows.

henryt
#97re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 6/14/12 at 10:30pm

Uncageg, would that be the Diane Paulus show?

Updated On: 6/14/12 at 10:30 PM

kipster
#98re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 6/14/12 at 10:34pm

For sure Quidam, followed by Alegria. I too miss the old Dragone days...

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#99re: Best Cirque du Soliel Show?
Posted: 6/14/12 at 10:37pm

I think they lost some of their identity when Dragone stopped staging the shows. That said, I guess it could be argued that they needed fresh blood, and I'd like to see some of the newer productions, Ka especially.