pixeltracker

OMG Les Miz Will Return to Broadway- Page 6

OMG Les Miz Will Return to Broadway

RentBoy86
#125re: OMG Les Miz Will Return to Broadway
Posted: 2/17/06 at 3:32am

Wow, i'm sorta surprised. Who celebrates a 21 year anniversary? I mean, who makes a big deal out of it. It woulda made more sense for them to wait a couple years and celebrate 25 years. Is this going to be a reaccuring thing? Every 3 years it will reopen and win some Tonys - ha. I dunno, I wish I could see it though. The Broadhurst seems such a weird space for it to me, I guess they're trying not to be selfish.

BSoBW3 Profile Photo
BSoBW3
#126re: OMG Les Miz Will Return to Broadway
Posted: 2/17/06 at 3:33am

It is NOT celebrating the 21st Ann.

It is to celebrate Les Mis officially becoming the longest running musical ever!

The smallest stream is a valent river. It will drown me if it can.

RentBoy86
#127re: OMG Les Miz Will Return to Broadway
Posted: 2/17/06 at 3:52am

Huh? Isn't Phantom?

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#128re: OMG Les Miz Will Return to Broadway
Posted: 2/17/06 at 4:43am

That's what I was going to say.

The only way Les Miz will surpass it is if Phantom closes and the "revival" extends. HAH! As IF!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

ThunderCat8
#129re: OMG Les Miz Will Return to Broadway
Posted: 2/17/06 at 5:30am

Wow, great news! Les Mis is one of my favourite musicals of all time. The funny thing is, I will also be 21 on October 9th. Les Mis opened when I was born! Magical :)

John Owen Jones is the best Valjean I have ever seen. Michael Ball is too vibratoey for the part.
Phillip Quast as Javert.
Lea Salonga as Eponine.

The rest I don't care about. I can't wait for the 21st anniversary show in London. Though I hope it's not at Hyde Park...it ALWAYS rains on my birthday in the UK, so that would be really horrid!!

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#130re: OMG Les Miz Will Return to Broadway
Posted: 2/17/06 at 5:42am

Lea Salonga as Eponine.

She'll probably be a little busy with the baby.

Besides, there are plenty of other Eponines who should be given the chance.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

kec Profile Photo
kec
#131re: OMG Les Miz Will Return to Broadway
Posted: 2/17/06 at 6:12am

From the article -- this explains why it's the longest running musical ever:

"LES MISÉRABLES is the third longest-running show in Broadway history and will, on October 9, pass the 21 year old record of Cats in London to become the longest-running musical ever on the West End or Broadway with 8,372 performances; a run nearly three years longer than Broadway’s record-holder The Phantom of the Opera, all three shows having been produced by Cameron Mackintosh. LES MISÉRABLES has been seen by over 53 million people in 38 countries and 21 languages since its first London performance in October 1985. The original Broadway production opened on March 12, 1987, at the Broadway Theatre, winning seven Tony Awards that season, including Best Musical. The show went on to play a total of 6,680 performances."

It's based on years, not number of performances.

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#132re: OMG Les Miz Will Return to Broadway
Posted: 2/17/06 at 6:49am

Well that, to say the least, is sketchy. Much like the real reason this hateful revival is happening in the first place.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

Feathah Profile Photo
Feathah
#133re: OMG Les Miz Will Return to Broadway
Posted: 2/17/06 at 7:01am

Well, the Fantasticks have got that beat!

I don't think the revival is "hateful." Ego-maniacal maybe?

I still don't care! I can't wait to see it again!

"The theater is my life. I live it. I breathe it. I fondle it till it falls asleep." Jack (Will And Grace) http://feathah.blogspot.com

jasobres
#134re: OMG Les Miz Will Return to Broadway
Posted: 2/17/06 at 7:21am

Once again, I think I'm gonna faint.

"Ev'ry-buddy wants ta get into de act!" - Jimmy Durante "Breathe from your hoo-hoo." -Kristin Chenoweth

Sant
#135re: OMG Les Miz Will Return to Broadway
Posted: 2/17/06 at 7:59am

What I would like to know is how is LES MIS's run nearly 3 years longer than THE PHANTOM's?

LES MIS opened in London in 1985 and on Broadway 1987.
TPOTO opened in London in 1986 and on Broadway 1988.

Both are still running in London, only TPOTO is still on B'way.

So how did they come up with that 3 years?

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#136re: OMG Les Miz Will Return to Broadway
Posted: 2/17/06 at 8:10am

Phantom celebrated 18 years on Broadway, whilst Les Mis is celebrating 21 years of the production (since the London opening in 1985)

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#137re: OMG Les Miz Will Return to Broadway
Posted: 2/17/06 at 8:12am

hence why it's just so damned sketchy

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

Sant
#138re: OMG Les Miz Will Return to Broadway
Posted: 2/17/06 at 8:49am

"Phantom celebrated 18 years on Broadway, whilst Les Mis is celebrating 21 years of the production (since the London opening in 1985)"

Right... now there's a logic...

Nothatsmrt Profile Photo
Nothatsmrt
#139re: OMG Les Miz Will Return to Broadway
Posted: 2/17/06 at 8:55am

"Playbill.com learned that marquee-value names are being explored for the Broadway run, although no casting has been announced."

Despite my intense love for this show, I'd like to echo Dollypop's sentiments and say that this sentence struck immediate fear in my heart. Should be interesting. Can't wait to see the discussions here once the cast is announced.

Kitzarina Profile Photo
Kitzarina
#140re: OMG Les Miz Will Return to Broadway
Posted: 2/17/06 at 9:30am

4 words: Anthony Warlow as Enjolras. re: OMG Les Miz Will Return to Broadway

"You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" --Family Guy

"Shut up! It's been 29 years!!!" --the incomparable Patti LuPone in her MUCH DESERVED Tony acceptance speech for Gypsy.

Kitzy's Avatar du Jour: Kitzy as Little Red Ridinghood in her college's production of "Into the Woods"

JoizeyActor Profile Photo
JoizeyActor
#141re: OMG Les Miz Will Return to Broadway
Posted: 2/17/06 at 9:45am

This makes me so angry. Why do we need Les Mis to come back to Broadway? I, personally, am sick of Les Mis. I've seen it on Broadway and now every high school and community theatre in America is doing it. I've seen it about 10 times now and each time it was EXACTLY the same. Same exact costumes (if I see another Eponine in that damn coat I'll die), same set, same mannerisms of the cast.

I guess that's one of the reasons I'm not a huge fan of Les Mis - - it's always the same no matter what. It's like they say in Making It On Broadway, everyone just becomes carbon copies of the originals with no artistic freedom. That's what I feel like I'm watching when I see Les Mis: a carbon copy. Nothing exciting or new.

But that's just me. Why not give the theatre to a new show? Maybe that new show will end up being hugely successful and outrun Les Mis.

But I suppose it is a limited engagement, so it won't be around forever...unless is extends...which is always possible.

Sorry for the rant, but the news just pissed me off and I had to get it off my chest.

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#142re: OMG Les Miz Will Return to Broadway
Posted: 2/17/06 at 10:55am

How are some of you so confused by the math? This is celebrating the fact that the London production will become the longest-running show in West End history in October. It's run is three years longer than Phantom's *current* Broadway record, and just one performance longer than Cats' West End record. If the London production of Les Miz opened in 1985 and the New York production of Phantom opened in 1988, that's a three year difference. But because weekly performances are sort of set in schedule (8 per week), number of years and number of performances are essentially the same thing.
Updated On: 2/17/06 at 10:55 AM

BSoBW3 Profile Photo
BSoBW3
#143re: OMG Les Miz Will Return to Broadway
Posted: 2/17/06 at 10:58am

Perhaps they are looking at 1985 for Les Mis and the 1988 for PHANTOM. Or did POTO go on a three year hiatus anytime?

Or they are counting from the time Les Mis premiered at the Palais.

Anyway...

The smallest stream is a valent river. It will drown me if it can.
Updated On: 2/17/06 at 10:58 AM

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#144re: OMG Les Miz Will Return to Broadway
Posted: 2/17/06 at 11:22am

All they are saying is that Les Miz will break the Cats record in London. Then they are comparing that record with Broadway's record, currently held by Phantom, which would need three more years of performances to become the longest-running show in the world. And in celebration of Les Miz breaking the overall record, they are bringing the show back to New York for a limited run.

LariTheLoud Profile Photo
LariTheLoud
#145re: OMG Les Miz Will Return to Broadway
Posted: 2/17/06 at 11:22am

I have to admit I'm damn excited about this. I'm definitely there in December or January. Hooray winter break...!

"Oh, good. After all, I can rub my stomach and pat my head at the same time, and I can do it with my eyes closed while whistling 'The Entertainer.' That's rhythm for you." ~ Snaps, proving that White Boys CAN have rhythm

Sant
#146re: OMG Les Miz Will Return to Broadway
Posted: 2/17/06 at 11:26am

OURTIME: Maybe some of us are just finding it totally ridiculous and completely pointless to compare LES MIS's run in *LONDON* to TPOTO's run on *BROADWAY*.

True, both are record breaking runs (both taking over from CATS) but not in the same city and to me that does make a difference.

Why not compare LES MIS's record breaking run in London with TPOTO's run in LONDON? Of course, because the figure wouldn't be as flattering and as much of market value as it is now with this totally stupid comparison.

Anyway, LES MIS back on Broadway... *YAWN*.

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#147re: OMG Les Miz Will Return to Broadway
Posted: 2/17/06 at 11:33am

I'm not saying it's a good idea to bring it back, just clarifying what he's saying. I'm sure Mackintosh will be making a similar statement after he closes Les Miz and Phantom breaks its London record, but for now he's just comparing the longest-running show in each place. Is it disingenuous? Sure. But it's technically accurate.

MissMonika Profile Photo
MissMonika
#148re: OMG Les Miz Will Return to Broadway
Posted: 2/17/06 at 11:35am

I'm so excited for this! I've never seen Les Mis on stage and I've always wanted to. I love the OBCR and I also have the Dream Concert. Yea, it would be hard for Lea Salonga to be Eponine since she is pregnant. Despite all the negativity over it coming back, I don't care, I'm super excited!

Yes, I'm pinay. And I'm proud of it!

flossie2
#149re: OMG Les Miz Will Return to Broadway
Posted: 2/17/06 at 11:46am

I hated this show. I see no reason for it to return so soon.