pixeltracker

All My Children's Jacob Young Makes Broadway Debut as Lumiere in Beauty and the Beast May 9- Page 2

All My Children's Jacob Young Makes Broadway Debut as Lumiere in Beauty and the Beast May 9

dancinfan
#25re: All My Children's Jacob Young Makes Broadway Debut as Lumiere in Beauty
Posted: 3/17/06 at 10:29am

No, Peter Flynn won't be returning after Young's summer stint. It'll probably be someone new, but fairly young to fit with whatever new Cogsworth they get.

Vespertine1228 Profile Photo
Vespertine1228
#26re: All My Children's Jacob Young Makes Broadway Debut as Lumiere in Beauty
Posted: 3/17/06 at 10:29am

I don't think the public has any preconceived stereotype of how old a talking candle is supposed to be, so I don't see how the age thing applies. It's just that the character was always been played by someone 10-15 years older. This is just like that thread a while back about whether Effie had to be a bigger woman. Just because it's always been that way doesn't mean it needs to be.

That said, I actually have a vote of confidence in this casting. It's true, supporting roles like this are less often stunt-casted, but perhaps that means it's the best role for him. Lord knows Lumiere is one of my favorite characters, even though he's not as integral to the plot.

dancinfan
#27re: All My Children's Jacob Young Makes Broadway Debut as Lumiere in Beauty
Posted: 3/17/06 at 10:32am

I think the age thing only comes into play when you have an older Beast, like Steve Blanchard. After all, Lumiere, Cogsworth, and Potts are supposed to be parental or at least avuncular to the Beast.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#28re: All My Children's Jacob Young Makes Broadway Debut as Lumiere in Beauty
Posted: 3/17/06 at 10:33am

Huh?

I guess it doesn't matter what age a candlestick is, but... wow.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

sybil7
#29re: All My Children's Jacob Young Makes Broadway Debut as Lumiere in Beauty
Posted: 3/17/06 at 10:34am

ok everythingtaboo - I haven't really paid that much attention to JR lately (Tad is more my speed/age! LOL) - so, perhaps he would have been ok as Tarzan - - I'll have to check out the teeth next time I watch AMC! I do think I'd like to see how he does comedy for a change. (or will he do the 'angry young - candlestick!)

Over_the_Moon
#30re: All My Children's Jacob Young Makes Broadway Debut as Lumiere in Beauty
Posted: 3/17/06 at 10:36am

I'm not that familiar with All My Children, but I do have his CD, and even though his voice isn't anything astounding, I do enjoy it quite a bit.

I wish him the best.

"what have we learned? Don't smoke... don't do drugs and don't sing 'Defying Gravity'." -CATSNYRevival

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#31re: All My Children's Jacob Young Makes Broadway Debut as Lumiere in Beauty
Posted: 3/17/06 at 10:37am

"The angry young candlestick..."

LOL! Love it. And with new teeth, no less!

Starring in...

"Rebel Without a Match"

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

#32re: All My Children's Jacob Young Makes Broadway Debut as Lumiere in Beauty
Posted: 3/17/06 at 10:52am

I don't think the age of the character as a candlestick matters, but I do think the story tries to convey something of the character BEFORE he turned into a candlestick (remember, there's a spell on these characters). Lumiere was a worldly, sophisticated butler or head-of-the-household to a prince (the Beast) before the spell was cast. I haven't seen this actor perform. From his photo, he sure doesn't seem the type for this role. We'll find out soon enough.

sybil7
#33re: All My Children's Jacob Young Makes Broadway Debut as Lumiere in Beauty
Posted: 3/17/06 at 10:56am

"..starring in 'Rebel without a Match'"! LOL - oh my we are throwing the one-liners today - aren't we! You just trumped my 'angry young candlestick'! love it!

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#34re: All My Children's Jacob Young Makes Broadway Debut as Lumiere in Beauty
Posted: 3/17/06 at 11:10am

Cogsworth is more of the stuff sophisticate. Lumiere is the one who tries to f*ck anything that moves.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

misto625 Profile Photo
misto625
#35re: All My Children's Jacob Young Makes Broadway Debut as Lumiere in Beauty
Posted: 3/17/06 at 11:31am

Lumiere still had a prominent position in the pre-enchanted castle, along with Cogsworth, and yes is definitely a trusted advisor of the Beast. An approximate idea of the character's age is given in Be Our Guest: "Ten years we've been rusting," meaning that Lumiere was probably in Mr. Young's age bracket BEFORE the spell began, and the characters are still aging. I just think he will look out of place among the castle denizens (and I am not asking Disney to recast the rest of the show with soap opera stars). I might not mind a younger Lumiere if he had proven theatrical experience, but I just cannot be in favor of this casting.

WholeLottaShakin- I imagine Christopher DeAngelis will play Lumiere on Wednesday matinees.

Dean: Can I tell you something? Lorraine: That depends on what it is. Dean: I think you're really really pretty. Lorraine: (after a pause) Ok, you can tell me that.

WholeLottaShakin Profile Photo
WholeLottaShakin
#36re: All My Children's Jacob Young Makes Broadway Debut as Lumiere in Beauty
Posted: 3/17/06 at 12:17pm

Thanks for the replies. I'm distressed that Peter Flynn will be out. I saw the show multiple times for Mark Price and truly enjoyed his and Peter's performances every single time. If I decide to see the show again later, I have no doubt Jacob will be... interesting.

sybil7
#37re: All My Children's Jacob Young Makes Broadway Debut as Lumiere in Beauty
Posted: 3/17/06 at 12:50pm

yes from Gary Beech to Jacob Young - very interesting

ThePinballWizard Profile Photo
ThePinballWizard
#38re: All My Children's Jacob Young Makes Broadway Debut as Lumiere in Beauty
Posted: 3/17/06 at 12:55pm

This makes me laugh for some hysterical reason. I mean he's practically a zygote, let alone rusting ten something years in that wretched castle. They will probably reconstruct the costume to consist of one giant candle head, two candle hands and a speedo. That'll give the Beast a run for his money....

"Isn't it strange that we spend most of our time learning to do what they put people in asylums for." - Jane Fonda on Acting

Michelleruth2 Profile Photo
Michelleruth2
#39re: All My Children's Jacob Young Makes Broadway Debut as Lumiere in Beauty
Posted: 3/21/06 at 10:22am

How can you tell how young/old the Lumiere is in that costume? The only part you can see is his face, and that has lots of makeup.
I don't think it matters if this new guy is young, as long as he is talented and can pull it off.
By the way, I think David De Vries did a fantastic job when he was Lumiere!

Sandy in Sable Profile Photo
Sandy in Sable
#40re: All My Children's Jacob Young Makes Broadway Debut as Lumiere in Beauty
Posted: 3/21/06 at 11:17am

Not that he has the stamina at this point, but wouldn't James Mitchell have been so much better?
And 30 years ago, David Canary would have been a great Gaston.

boxers7 Profile Photo
boxers7
#41re: All My Children's Jacob Young Makes Broadway Debut as Lumiere in Beauty
Posted: 3/21/06 at 2:58pm

You people are out of your mind! How can you say someone will be better until the actor actually GOES ON in the role. Someone with stage experience? How do you think people get experience? By performing! After his opening night say all you want about him. But MONTHS before he's schedueled to start? Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

"I don't wanna see that!" -Aunt Sassy (as played by Valerie Cherish) on Room & Bored

eatlasagna
#42re: All My Children's Jacob Young Makes Broadway Debut as Lumiere in Beauty
Posted: 3/21/06 at 3:38pm

i dont' mind... but like some have said... i just want a younger beast... because when i saw steve blanchard last summer the guy looked old.. as well as i didn't care for his singing... or rather talk/singing

dancinfan
#43re: All My Children's Jacob Young Makes Broadway Debut as Lumiere in Beauty
Posted: 5/11/06 at 9:10pm

Has anyone seen Jacob Young in the show yet? And can anyone tell us who the new Cogsworth is?

BWayFanatic Profile Photo
BWayFanatic
#44re: All My Children's Jacob Young Makes Broadway Debut as Lumiere in Beauty
Posted: 5/11/06 at 10:20pm

Broadway.com has photos as Young in the role, and I know I shouldn;t jump to the conclusion, but he looks just very awkward in the part. Aside from the age thing, he doesn;t look right in the costumes, it just doesn't LOOK like it is a good fit.

Maybe, I'll be wrong and he'll give a great performance, ANYONE SEEN HIM YET?

dancinfan
#45re: All My Children's Jacob Young Makes Broadway Debut as Lumiere in Beauty
Posted: 5/11/06 at 11:14pm

His "human" (Finale) wig isn't white. I have always questioned the practice of changing original designs because of star casting. Does anyone here remember how all of the Belle clothes changed when Toni Braxton was playing the role? Oi.
Updated On: 5/11/06 at 11:14 PM

jimnysf
#46re: All My Children's Jacob Young Makes Broadway Debut as Lumiere in Beauty
Posted: 5/12/06 at 1:11am

Why don't people wait until they have actually seen him in the show before they start to comment? Give the man a chance. He is a good actor, probably way too good for this show.

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

misto625 Profile Photo
misto625
#47re: All My Children's Jacob Young Makes Broadway Debut as Lumiere in Beauty
Posted: 5/15/06 at 1:01pm

Well I saw him last week in the role and he definitely stunk as much as I thought he would. The role just doesn't fit him.

Dean: Can I tell you something? Lorraine: That depends on what it is. Dean: I think you're really really pretty. Lorraine: (after a pause) Ok, you can tell me that.

jimnysf
#48re: All My Children's Jacob Young Makes Broadway Debut as Lumiere in Beauty
Posted: 5/15/06 at 2:13pm

"Well I saw him last week in the role and he definitely stunk as much as I thought he would.".

Did you go in with an open mind?

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

soapguy17 Profile Photo
soapguy17
#49re: All My Children's Jacob Young Makes Broadway Debut as Lumiere in Beauty
Posted: 5/20/06 at 10:49pm

Misto, I haven't seen him in the role YET, but if you go in thinking someone it going to be terrible there's a good chance you won't leave totally impressed.

On another note. How was Braxton in the role? She was quite not-so-good as Aida I hope she was okay as Belle.

I have NEVER met Cheyenne Jackson. I have never hung out with him in his dressing room, he did not tweet me, he never bought me a beverage, and he mostly certainly didn't tickle me. . .that is all.

Videos