News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Little Women on Broadway

astonishing1985 Profile Photo
astonishing1985
#0Little Women on Broadway
Posted: 4/4/06 at 6:58pm

Why didn't it go on longer? Why was the attendance bad?
I mean you've got Sutton Foster and Maureen McGovern and not to mention all the other great people in the musical.
Just a thought...

Hartt School class of 2010 ;-)

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#1re: Little Women on Broadway
Posted: 4/4/06 at 7:01pm

Well, those two names alone couldn't keep a musical running too long, if that's what you mean.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

astonishing1985
#2re: Little Women on Broadway
Posted: 4/4/06 at 7:07pm

No, that's not all I meant. It's a good musical, just wondering why it didn't run longer

xM3L24x Profile Photo
xM3L24x
#3re: Little Women on Broadway
Posted: 4/4/06 at 7:07pm

I thought it was boring. Talented cast, but I lost interest.

#4re: Little Women on Broadway
Posted: 4/4/06 at 7:08pm

I was told that the director makes them to the same thing( as in movment,angle of the hand, tilt of the head, every night giving the actors no where to grow. This too was one of my fav shows and it went no where. Can not wait to see Sutton in Drowsey.

MargoChanning
#5re: Little Women on Broadway
Posted: 4/4/06 at 7:10pm

I found it to be a mediocre adaptation of the novel with a bland book and score and ultimately rather boring to sit through.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#6re: Little Women on Broadway
Posted: 4/4/06 at 7:12pm

As much as I adore Little Women (the story) it is not for everyone. Many find the story itself to be bland and boring etc.

That said I felt much of the casting and the music was gorgeous, but there were flow problems, and it wasn't the best adaptation of the book that I have seen.

astonishing1985
#7re: Little Women on Broadway
Posted: 4/4/06 at 7:19pm

Thanks for the answers. I've always loved the story and I love the music, the songs are gorgeous and the singing is beautiful. I never got the chance to see it on Broadway as it closed so suddenly.

michelle4
#8re: Little Women on Broadway
Posted: 4/4/06 at 7:25pm

It was just a really poor adaptation of the novel.

#1Elphie Profile Photo
#1Elphie
#9re: Little Women on Broadway
Posted: 4/4/06 at 7:29pm

I love the novel, but the show was the worst Broadway show I've ever seen. The book was awful, the music was stale...it was just a mess in my opinion. I had high expectations for it and I was disappointed.

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#10re: Little Women on Broadway
Posted: 4/4/06 at 7:32pm

I find it baffling when people use words like "boring" and "forgettable" to describe this show's score. I think it is generally wonderful and has a few real gems in it. Some say it's "forgettable"...I had its melodies lingering with me until the recording was released. I am so grateful that it received a recording, despite the (IMO) pre-mature closing.

Just my 2 cents.

RentBoy86
#11re: Little Women on Broadway
Posted: 4/4/06 at 7:32pm

I haven't seen the show yet. I'm seeing it here in a few weeks, but it seems like the production needed "something." I dunno what it is, but it just needed something.

astonishing1985
#12re: Little Women on Broadway
Posted: 4/10/06 at 7:09pm

Why is it doing so well on tour then?

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#13re: Little Women on Broadway
Posted: 4/10/06 at 7:13pm

The show does have an intimate small town feel. Maybe it works better in the central US than in NYC, although it is mainly playing in big cities on the tour.

I love the score to this show. Most of the score anyway.

Joshua488
#14re: Little Women on Broadway
Posted: 4/10/06 at 7:21pm

The Spirit of Broadway Theater in Connecticut is presenting the musical Little Women, written by Sean Hartley, Kim Oler and Alison Hubbard. This is the version that was supposed to be on Broadway until the producers cut them from the project.

I'm hoping it will be better than the one that actually played at the Virginia Theatre.
The Spirit of Broadway Theater - Norwich, CT

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#15re: Little Women on Broadway
Posted: 4/10/06 at 7:38pm

Poor advertising.

The commercials and posters read " A great show for mothers and daughters of all ages! "

Most people that see shows are not mothers and daughters, but husband and wife, families, dating couples, friends and such.

They killed there male audience before it ever arrived.

On the contrary, I neglected the ads and went to the show and absolutely LOVED it. No show should ever be labeled as for women or for men.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

cate_w
#16re: Little Women on Broadway
Posted: 4/10/06 at 7:48pm

I absolutely loved Little Women and was crushed when it closed. At all the performances I was at, the audience seemed to love it. I think the downfall was in the advertising. Saying that it was a great show for mothers and daughters essentially takes away half the population that might see it-- I had male friends who loved the book, but refused to see the musical because of its perception as a girls show. (I know that the title semingly does that, but not quite as blatantly.)
The book had some problems early in previews, but I thought that right before they closed, everything had really come together. In my opinion, the music and the cast were perfect!

Sleeper2 Profile Photo
Sleeper2
#17re: Little Women on Broadway
Posted: 4/11/06 at 2:00pm

I liked it. (If you thought this was the worst thing you've ever seen consider yourself lucky -- or young.)

The reason it closed was that the advertising was dreadful and uncreative. The producers made a decision they would not pump a lot of money into marketing the show, and ended up having to close it. Poor business decision.

Standing_O
#18re: Little Women on Broadway
Posted: 4/11/06 at 2:15pm

*sigh* I still get made fun of for loving this show.

Hank
#19re: Little Women on Broadway
Posted: 4/11/06 at 4:06pm

I agree, that "mother-daughter" ad was a turn off, and I probably would not have seen it were it not for Sutton Foster who I adored so much in Millie, but I enjoyed the show a lot more than I thought I would.
Sad to say though, at the weeknight performance I saw, the house was less than half full, in fact, probably the most empty I have ever seen.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#20re: Little Women on Broadway
Posted: 4/11/06 at 4:38pm

all shows have their flaws, but LITTLE WOMEN had very few in my opinion... the songs are gorgeous and the sets, for the tour nonetheless, are gigantic and stunningly beautiful. I didn't really find it boring at all and can't imagine why the score is described by some as being bland. it's easily one of my favorite musicals from the past few seasons.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#21re: Little Women on Broadway
Posted: 4/11/06 at 4:41pm

I'm either going to go to Philadelphia to see this, or wait until it plays at the Kennedy Center in DC in June.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Videos