woman in white-- a book?

dramaqueen2 Profile Photo
dramaqueen2
#0woman in white-- a book?
Posted: 4/7/06 at 11:40am

does anyone know if the show "the woman in white" was a book? because my english teacher just said we were to read it, and i know it had been a show (though short-lived) on broadway, and i wa sjust curious as to if that was it's origin. i've never seen it so, if anyone knows, please repost!!
thanks!!

hear my song; it was made for the time when you don't know where to go, listen to the song that i sing, you'll be fine..

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#1re: woman in white-- a book?
Posted: 4/7/06 at 11:42am

yes it was and still is a book

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel
Updated On: 4/7/06 at 11:42 AM

dramaqueen2 Profile Photo
dramaqueen2
#2re: woman in white-- a book?
Posted: 4/7/06 at 11:43am

is it worth the read? because i know the show didn't last long..
any opnions?

hear my song; it was made for the time when you don't know where to go, listen to the song that i sing, you'll be fine..

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#3re: woman in white-- a book?
Posted: 4/7/06 at 11:44am

Google, dramaqueen2. Dramaqueen2, Google.

The answer is, yes...it's a novel written by Wilkie Collins.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

NYLG Profile Photo
NYLG
#4re: woman in white-- a book?
Posted: 4/7/06 at 11:46am

If your english teacher said you HAD to read it...then yes, it's worth the read.

If you'd have been there...If you'd have seen it...I betcha you would have done the same! - CHICAGO

Adelais Profile Photo
Adelais
#5re: woman in white-- a book?
Posted: 4/7/06 at 12:00pm

Well, I'm not a huge fan of Wilkie Collins, but if you have to read it then I don't imagine you'll suffer too horribly.

I am confused by feminisim, because if you disapprove of men so much why wash off the make-up, crop the hair and slap on the boiler suit in order to resemble the rotters?

mortgageguy79 Profile Photo
mortgageguy79
#6re: woman in white-- a book?
Posted: 4/7/06 at 12:04pm

It's a pretty good book, and yes, my English teacher made me read it! HA!

Back in the day I did a production called "Egad! The Woman in White" it's a very popular high school play that turns the book into this rediculous melodrama!

Jack: For your information, most people who meet me do not know that I am gay. Will: Jack, blind and deaf people know you're gay. Dead people know you're gay. Jack: Grace, when you first met me, did you know I was gay? Grace: My dog knew.

EganFan2
#7re: woman in white-- a book?
Posted: 4/7/06 at 1:07pm

The book isn't that hard to read. And it's *gasp* good!

bare_nakedlady Profile Photo
bare_nakedlady
#8re: woman in white-- a book?
Posted: 4/7/06 at 10:23pm

You should read it nonetheless. Its a great book and although I love the musical, don't think that knowing it is going to help when its time to answer questions about the book. They are different in MANY ways.

"It's like children's theatre for 40-year old gay people!" - XANADU THE MUSICAL

#1Elphie Profile Photo
#1Elphie
#9re: woman in white-- a book?
Posted: 4/7/06 at 10:26pm

I love the novel; I couldn't put it down. I read it before the show was created and, although I love the show, I prefer the novel. It's a great read and I highly recommend it. Like bare_nakedlady pointed out, it's pretty different from the show. It's much more complex.

kec Profile Photo
kec
#10re: woman in white-- a book?
Posted: 4/9/06 at 2:59pm

Although I had heard of Wilkie Collins, I hadn't heard of his novel until I saw the musical in London for the first time. I went out the next day and bought the book. It is indeed an excellent book. As has been said,there are many parts where the play differs from the book (the secret for one), and there are a couple of slow parts, but on the whole I found it hard to put down.

Glad to hear that an English teacher somewhere is making this classic piece of literature part of the lesson plan.

bwaybabe85 Profile Photo
bwaybabe85
#11re: woman in white-- a book?
Posted: 4/9/06 at 6:39pm

It's one of my favorite books. Definitely worth the read.

sharon1
#12re: woman in white-- a book?
Posted: 4/9/06 at 7:51pm

Verrrrrrrry good read. Well worth the time

Piazzaslight Profile Photo
Piazzaslight
#13re: woman in white-- a book?
Posted: 4/9/06 at 10:36pm

Loved the book. I thought it was better than the musical, beause it had somw more information about characters and their motivations. Although the secret in the play is much more worth finding out than in the book. No metter what, this book is an excellent, intricate and sadly overshadowed book. By all means, read it.

MARGARET: "Clara, stop that. That's illegal." - The Light in the Piazza

"I'm not in Bambi and I'm not blonde!" - Idina Menzel

Videos