pixeltracker

Just discovered "Jane Eyre the musical"

Just discovered "Jane Eyre the musical"

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#0Just discovered "Jane Eyre the musical"
Posted: 4/7/06 at 5:27pm

I'm sure there's threads gallore about this, but a friend just gave me the CD to listen to, and I have to tell you, I really love the score - it sounds very beautiful. I don't really know anything about this other than it had to compete against the juggernaut The Producers.

Does anyone know why it didn't fare better on Broadway, whether there's any regional productions of this, is there any way of getting the Canadian cast recording and does anyone know of any websites about this show?

Jim

EganFan2
#1re: Just discovered 'Jane Eyre the musical'
Posted: 4/7/06 at 5:30pm

I heard it was because it was a pop opera show based on a classic novel, which wasn't "en vogue" at the time it was on Broadway. *shrugs* I don't know if that is the official reason.
Doesn't seem a BAD show to me.

Marla Schaffel has a beautiful voice in the part, though. I listen to the CD all the time. Interesting fact: Alanis Morisette spent some of her own money to keep it open a little longer.

EganFan2
#2re: Just discovered 'Jane Eyre the musical'
Posted: 4/7/06 at 5:32pm

Yeah, it is kinda like that. There is even a secret in Rochester's house...LOL.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#3re: Just discovered 'Jane Eyre the musical'
Posted: 4/7/06 at 5:49pm

The reviews were pretty mixed, I remember most mentioned that there wasn't a single stand-out song in the show, and the whole thing was bland.
I really liked it when I saw it, I was very touched by the performances and music.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#4re: Just discovered 'Jane Eyre the musical'
Posted: 4/7/06 at 6:05pm

Gorgeous, isn't it?

I saw Jane Eyre in previews and just loved it. Sadly, I knew even at that time that it didn't have a prayer. Similar to what EganFan mentioned, it came along just at the beginning of the current trend of wacky, in-your-face musical comedy (such as The Full Monty and The Producers). While I completely dismiss the comparisons, Jane Eyre is much more in the tradition of Les Mis -- the big, romantic pop-opera's of the 80's and 90's.

As far as no stand-out song? I'm not sure which show they saw. Most of the score is stand-outs for me. I find one of the most luch, romantic, and poetic scores ever written.

iflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
#5re: Just discovered 'Jane Eyre the musical'
Posted: 4/7/06 at 7:10pm

I really liked Jane Eyre, too. Some say the score is bland, but I loved it. The set was dark and brooding, and the entire show had a lot of 'atmosphere'. The first time I saw it, I knew it wouldn't have mass appeal, but I think it occupied a valid niche. It also had "followers", who, if I remeber correctly, were dubbed Eyreheads.

As far as a standout song, I'd have to go with "Sweet Liberty". It's a wonderful paean of early feminist sentiment.

Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#6re: Just discovered 'Jane Eyre the musical'
Posted: 4/7/06 at 7:14pm

Well, given recent events, don't you think Jane is a bit old for Mr. Barbour?

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#7re: Just discovered 'Jane Eyre the musical'
Posted: 4/7/06 at 8:24pm

Yeah, way too old, but there also was Adele...

Ok, I'm being horrible :P

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#8re: Just discovered 'Jane Eyre the musical'
Posted: 4/7/06 at 8:33pm

That was the bizarre thing. I heard the music for the first time yesterday. I read through the booklet and all, and then a couple of hours later I picked up the NY Post to see the article about Barbour...

Is the CD a highlights of the whole score? I really love the music.

Jim

#9re: Just discovered 'Jane Eyre the musical'
Posted: 4/7/06 at 8:53pm

Jane Eyre was very much of the gothic pop opera genre (a la Phantom, Les Mis, Woman In White, The Secret Garden, and to a lesser extent, Jekyll and Hyde) which I absolutely adore, but tends to be looked down upon by critics. The CD is almost the entire score - it cuts some incidentals and reprises, though which ones exactly I can't remember. I definitely agree that the score has a lushness to it. It definitely has a certain "sweep" that favors continuing the story over buttoning for applause. I think on Broadway the first real applause break was after Sweet Liberty.

And to top it off, Marla Schaffel is all kinds of amazing, and needs to do more.

Marguerite Chauvelin
#10re: Just discovered 'Jane Eyre the musical'
Posted: 4/7/06 at 9:02pm

Awww come on! Pervert or not, he has some gorgeous vocals in Jane Eyre.

If Percy Blakeney were in Les Mis....

Percy: Sink me! If it isn't Javvurt!
Javert: Zsah-vair, it's pronounced Zsah-vair.
Pecry: But it's spelled J-A-V-E-R-T Javvurt.
Javert: Repeat after me Zsah...Zsah....
Percy: Oh! Zsa-Zsa! Like the Gabor sister! Well I personally have always prefered Eva.
Javert: (Looks for gun)

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#11re: Just discovered 'Jane Eyre the musical'
Posted: 4/7/06 at 9:28pm

Well, I can speak knowledgeably about this one.
It started as a through-sung musical, VERY much in the mold of Les Miz. The composer/writer, Paul Gordon, got the premise in front of director JOhn Caird, who offered to come on board and also began to write the book and co-write the lyrics.
From that point, the show became more of a book musical, although several of the songs were retained from that original premise.
I believe its first production was at Music Theatre of Wichita (our Helen in La Jolla was from that production). It then had a Toronto staging and there is an out of print cast album from that (featuring a gorgeous song for Helen that was eventually cut, although I seem to recall it being used as underscoring).
It then went to La Jolla Playhouse and then, eventually, to Broadway.
Marla has, as far as I know, always played Jane (little bit of info: Jayne Patterson, the Jane understudy in La Jolla and on Broadway, is currently the standby/understudy for both women in Jacques Brel). Originally, Anthony Crivello was Rochester (being a show on a budget, I ended up wearing one of his vests from the Toronto version in La Jolla) and James Barbour took over in La Jolla and on Broadway.
I thought it was a good, if not unbelievably great, show. And, frankly (this might be a tidge of bitterness), I thought the La Jolla version was better than what went on Broadway. There is such a thing as too much tinkering.

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#12re: Just discovered 'Jane Eyre the musical'
Posted: 4/7/06 at 9:28pm

Oh, and I'd just like to point out that the La Jolla version of Jane Eyre had PLENTY of young girls for Mr. Barbour and I can tell you with my own eyes I don't think the man was up to anything. But you all can speculate all you want.

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#13re: Just discovered 'Jane Eyre the musical'
Posted: 4/7/06 at 9:35pm

I love this type of musical though, with the dark brooding period ets and costumes. That's one of the reasons that I like Lestat because it reminds me of this sort of big lush romatic musical (despite the faults).

andyf
#14re: Just discovered 'Jane Eyre the musical'
Posted: 7/9/06 at 10:49pm

Did anybody else just catch Ms. Marla Schaffel on Law and Order: Criminal Intent?

I wasn't really paying attention, but then I turned around and was delighted to find Jane Eyre playing the bad guy's wife! The episode was called "Vacancy" in case anyone is interested in searching for a repeat airing (it's only a matter of time).

PS - Jayne Patterson in Jacques Brel? Yum. Anyone know if she's scheduled to go on?

Andrew, tonight isn't about you! It isn't even about me!!! - [FD]

ActingAndy
#15re: Just discovered 'Jane Eyre the musical'
Posted: 7/10/06 at 12:37am

my sister's high school did Jane Eyre almost 4 years back.. it was amazing! The score is wonderful! I think that a revival of the show during the right time on Broadway would be a bigger success when its not up against The Producers. The show is great! If anyone lives in St. Louis and has the chance to check out Nerinx Hall High School's fall musicals they are tremendous. They will be doing Thoroughly Modern Millie in November. Music Theatre International specifically asked them to do it.

RentBoy86
#16re: Just discovered 'Jane Eyre the musical'
Posted: 7/10/06 at 12:58am

It really is a great show. I'm not familiar with the book or the story, but I love listening to the very lush score. It's nice to have something big and full when you're use to listening to Hairspray and Producers.

You can go to www.theatre-musicals.com and I think they have a synopsis and more info on the show as well as many others.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#17re: Just discovered 'Jane Eyre the musical'
Posted: 7/10/06 at 1:58am

I was at the opening night in Toronto (December 1996 - it had the misfortune top premiere the same week as RAGTIME) and the show landed with a thud!

It seemed to everyone that John Caird was trying to copy the LES MIZ formula and with JANE EYRE it just didn't work. Not helping matters was the fact the the music was not as good and I don't think the story was as good.

Instead of heading right to Broadway they took it off for some re-writing and few more regional stagings, but comparing the Toronto cast CD with the Broadway cast Cd it appears the show became weaker instead of stronger. Not that it was a complete disaster. Far from it. But it is one of those shows that stubbornly refuses to come together into a satisfying whole.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

MaronaDavies
#18re: Just discovered 'Jane Eyre the musical'
Posted: 7/10/06 at 2:18am

Speaking of the cast recording...does anyone know why Lisa Musser (Young Jane) didn't get to sing on the CD? I thought she was great in the show, and was surprised when she wasn't on the CD.

I liked JE. It had its flaws but I enjoyed it.

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#19re: Just discovered 'Jane Eyre the musical'
Posted: 7/10/06 at 7:28am

It's funny this thread is on here because I just listend to the OBC last week for my first time. I could only wonder, "Now, why didn't this do better on B-way?"

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#20re: Just discovered 'Jane Eyre the musical'
Posted: 7/10/06 at 12:07pm

I loved the Broadway production, which featured the most effective and original use of lighting and projections I've ever seen. The show received mixed reviews, many of the critics finding it somewhat clinical and cold in its approach (though I disagree), but I believe it was lack of marketing and the overwhelming success of The Producers that brought down Jane Eyre. It just couldn't compete.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

parker russel
#21re: Just discovered 'Jane Eyre the musical'
Posted: 7/10/06 at 12:58pm

Jane Eyre is one of my all time favorites. To answer some of the questions asked. The Broadway recording is only highlights. Also Many of the tracks have different lyrics then what ended up on Broadway. The Toronto CD is very hard to find it is out of print however it is amazing with a couple of great Marla moments that were cut. Lisa Musser is not on the recording because she was a replacement for the original Young jane who got to old to play the role.

Also Marla was the first and only lady to play Jane Eyre in a major production. She was the very first girl to audition for the first workshop and stayed with it until it closed. Another side note she only missed two and a half performances during the broadway run.

I very much agree Marla should be getting more work however this year alone she starred as Eliza in the tour of My Fair Lady and appeared Off-Broadway in A Broadway Diva Christmas and Fanny Hill.

Also lets not forget that Marla Schaffel was so robbed of the Tony in 2001...that could have helped the show and her a lot.

Buddy Kiss Profile Photo
Buddy Kiss
#22re: Just discovered 'Jane Eyre the musical'
Posted: 7/10/06 at 1:12pm

This show was probably my biggest obession a few years back. The lyrics are sometimes a bit shaky but I will always be very fond of this show.

Its basically the reason I survived high school. lol

"Wickedness is a term invented by society to account for the curious attractivness of others." -Oscar Wilde

#23re: Just discovered 'Jane Eyre the musical'
Posted: 7/10/06 at 1:16pm

The musical version of Jane Eyre is far too much like dozens of pop operas, produced and unproduced. Knowing the story from the novel and the early film version, I was totally bored when I saw this show in NYC. They didn't manage to keep the show interesting for those legions of people who already knew the story. As far as I'm concerned this type of show is better appreciated by listening to the CD. Interestingly enough, in addition to the commercially released Canadian version, I have live tapes of a very early performance of the show in Toronto. It's quite different. Individual songs are difficult to identify as it seems be nearly all sung libretto.

umgeoboy Profile Photo
umgeoboy
#24re: Just discovered 'Jane Eyre the musical'
Posted: 7/10/06 at 1:20pm

I thoroughly enjoy the score to this show, but I found the show itself a tad boring. There was way too much exposition in the first act which really did not need to be there. We get it she was shunned and treated horribly as a girl, get on to the real aspects of the story.

The show just kinda plodded along and did not build moment for most of the show.

"Judy Garland, Jimmy Dean, You tragedy Queen" ~ Taboo

"Watching a frat boy realize just what he put his d!ck in...ex's getting std's...schadenfruede" ~ Ave Q

"when dangers near, exploit their fear" ~ Reefer Madness the Musical

Videos