News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Sutton or Lea?

artist_in_waiting
#0Sutton or Lea?
Posted: 4/16/06 at 12:51pm

Since these two are quite similar in ways more than one, both having played Eponine, possessing strikingly similar voices, and are both fantastic thespians in their own rights, it's time we have a consensus. Who cuts it for you? And why?

Sutton and Lea fans, war is upon you.

Updated On: 4/16/06 at 12:51 PM

incupsofcoffee
#1re: Sutton or Lea?
Posted: 4/16/06 at 12:56pm

I definitely say Lea because she actually BECOMES the character...also, I think her voice is much more electrifying...Sutton is quite talented though.

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#2re: Sutton or Lea?
Posted: 4/16/06 at 12:57pm

Personally, based solely on the concert, I do not like Lea's Eponine. I found her to be too harsh and have way too many rough edges. She over pronounced her words and she came off as a cold character.

I didn't see Sutton, I just wanted to give my opinion on Lea.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

Luckydave14
#3re: Sutton or Lea?
Posted: 4/16/06 at 1:08pm

There was a thread on this not too long ago.

Luckydave14
#4re: Sutton or Lea?
Posted: 4/16/06 at 1:10pm

Found the other thread, and the same person started that one.

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?boardname=bway&thread=882169#1763279

artist_in_waiting
#5re: Sutton or Lea?
Posted: 4/16/06 at 1:11pm

"There was a thread on this not too long ago."

Is that so? Well i'm sorry for the redundancy. Guess it's a popular subject then. It's fun so what the hell. :)

The first one was about BEING EPONINE in particular. This one's about GENERAL PREFERENCE.

Updated On: 4/17/06 at 01:11 PM

Joshua488
#6re: Sutton or Lea?
Posted: 4/16/06 at 1:13pm

Lea Salonga. I love the fact that she has such a clear voice and such excellent diction and enunciation. I don't think it makes her character seem cold; I think it shows a great performer's training.

Luckydave14
#7re: Sutton or Lea?
Posted: 4/16/06 at 1:18pm

Well you should probably specify that this thread is a general preference thread. It seems as most people are comparing their Eponines.

Joshua488
#8re: Sutton or Lea?
Posted: 4/16/06 at 1:19pm

The original poster specifically mentioned that they have both played Eponine, so I figured that was the basis for the discussion.

suddenlyseymour Profile Photo
suddenlyseymour
#9re: Sutton or Lea?
Posted: 4/16/06 at 1:28pm

How can you pick between the two? This is so difficult arg....I love Sutton and she's my girl, but Lea is the best Eponine ever

artist_in_waiting
#10re: Sutton or Lea?
Posted: 4/16/06 at 1:33pm

whether or not I put Eponine up there, people will still revert to that comparison.. as it happens, they are two of the most famous and best-liked Eponines ever.

Luckydave14
#11re: Sutton or Lea?
Posted: 4/16/06 at 1:39pm

Then why start another thread when you knew that people would be comparing the two as Eponine?

artist_in_waiting
#12re: Sutton or Lea?
Posted: 4/16/06 at 1:40pm

"Then why start another thread when you knew that people would be comparing the two as Eponine?"

And how is it any of your business?!

incupsofcoffee
#13re: Sutton or Lea?
Posted: 4/16/06 at 1:42pm

seriously...who honestly cares? like, in your life, what difference does it make if there is more than one thread on a broadway website about something?

musicaltheater1 Profile Photo
musicaltheater1
#14re: Sutton or Lea?
Posted: 4/16/06 at 1:53pm

I saw both performed Eponine. Lea's version on Broadway and the TAC was obviously more strong-willed because she was portraying a betrayed and an impoverished character, who was spoiled in the beginning by crooks, then lived eventually in poverty. I think some fans associate the song On My Own to a sweet and fragile Eponine, but she was not envisioned to be one by the author and Richard Jay Alexander, her director. She had more maturity and stage presence in Hey Mr. Producer and that was one outstanding performance. The one thing I didn't like was a hint of Lea's upper class upbringing that somehow came out in some scenes during the Broadway run. The astounding thing was witnessing the only Eponine I've ever seen that received a thunderous and quite extended standing ovation after On My Own and the orchestra had to stop for at least 5 minutes before playing the next note. Isn't that usually a seamless musical transition to the next score?

Sutton's version was different. It was one of the best I've seen but, different. It was the Eponine I expected but, her acting was more subtle compared to Lea's. Both have the chops vocally and she also had rave reviews. Her On My Own was quite captivating and always brough tears to the audience. It was just unfortunate that her partners during that run were always too short which made the pair look awkward on stage.

Comparison is an unavoidable thing, especially when the play, the songs, and the character are so memorable and significant. As a complete package, Lea Salonga is a more memorable Eponine for me. I love Sutton and comes very close to my top choice. I still yet to see, if ever, Maane Dionisio's Eponine. I heard she was also amazing. Has anyone here seen her performance?

"I love acting. It is so much more real than life." Oscar Wilde
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Huxley
Updated On: 4/16/06 at 01:53 PM

ashley0139
#15re: Sutton or Lea?
Posted: 4/16/06 at 1:59pm

Sutton Foster. I love Lea, but Sutton. Always Sutton.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

Luckydave14
#16re: Sutton or Lea?
Posted: 4/16/06 at 2:28pm

"And how is it any of your business?!"

I am just saying that if you already knew everyone's opinion on this matter, then why do you have to get it from them again.

NYC4Life Profile Photo
NYC4Life
#17re: Sutton or Lea?
Posted: 4/16/06 at 2:28pm

I like sutton alot, but lea as kim in miss saigon was beyond brillant. i have only seen sutton in millie so on that only Lea wins for me.

moowithme111105 Profile Photo
moowithme111105
#18re: Sutton or Lea?
Posted: 4/16/06 at 4:02pm

I've seen Lea in the 10th anniversary concert, and Sutton in a bootleg. So, Sutton wins for me.

VonTussleGirl Profile Photo
VonTussleGirl
#19re: Sutton or Lea?
Posted: 4/16/06 at 4:07pm

I'm a big Lea fan, but Sutton has NEVER failed to impress me with her huge voice and subtle acting.

WhatDoINeedWithLove?
#20re: Sutton or Lea?
Posted: 4/16/06 at 4:10pm

Sutton.

MyNameInLights Profile Photo
MyNameInLights
#21re: Sutton or Lea?
Posted: 4/16/06 at 4:13pm

Luckydave14, how's about you just drop it? You don't like this thread, move somewhere else. In no way did the poster say which do you like better as Eponine. Stop trying to pretend like he did. Get over it. Argue pointlessly over something else.

I think Sutton and Lea are two different kettles of fish. I think both are incredible talents, vocally and acting-wise, but I think of Sutton more as a comedic actress and Lea as more of a dramatic. I adore them both, though.

"The stage is where I live and come alive and act out all the things that go on in my life. It's not just what I do for a living, it's my shrink and my love affair. No one in my life has ever or ever will kiss me on the mouth like this lover called my relationship with my performance."

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#22re: Sutton or Lea?
Posted: 4/16/06 at 4:14pm

i saw Ma-anne Dionisio... she was great, but she didn't stick out as amazing to me. but then i was sitting in the very back of the mezz which was very far away. i preferred Raegan Kotz who i saw a few years before. she was a great Eponine. anyone else see her?

::bust a move::

artist_in_waiting
#23re: Sutton or Lea?
Posted: 4/16/06 at 5:22pm

"I am just saying that if you already knew everyone's opinion on this matter, then why do you have to get it from them again."

And your point is?

#24re: Sutton or Lea?
Posted: 4/16/06 at 5:28pm

i love them BOTH and i think that they actually sound very different from each other. i don't see them as interchangable on most roles...lea as millie? no..lea in drowsy chaperone? no..sutton as kim? sutton in flower drum song?..no.
if you're talking about JUST Eponine..i thought they were both really great..for different reasons!

Videos