pixeltracker

Idina Menzel to Star in London WICKED- Page 4

Idina Menzel to Star in London WICKED

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#75re: Idina Menzel to Star in London WICKED
Posted: 4/21/06 at 12:20pm

"I just hope this run does not kill Idina's voice, again."

I think it was performing with illness that screwed her over more than the singing itself.

BSO, I hate the OBC of Wicked. I wouldn't mind one on which they actually capture more of what she sounds like live. It just SOUNDS so doctored. But who am I kidding? I probably wouldn't listen to it either way.

It would be a smart move though. All the Wicked fans would probably buy a second recording.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#76re: Idina Menzel to Star in London WICKED
Posted: 4/21/06 at 12:22pm

Thanks, Adamgreer. How I missed that particular thread is beyond me!!

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

BSoBW2
#77re: Idina Menzel to Star in London WICKED
Posted: 4/21/06 at 12:25pm

If it came out better, I'd get it, probably. Especially if the Ben Vereen rumor is true (though it woul dbe nice to have a Londong star. HAHAHA picture Judi Dench as Morrible. j/k)

Anyway, Idina sounds off on the recording, but overall....it's hard to pass it. Maybe if they recorded the 3 second "Wizard and I (Reprise)" and "Wicked Witch of the East" and added some cut tracks (from San Fran and before) it would be a worthwhile recording.

astonishing1985 Profile Photo
astonishing1985
#78re: Idina Menzel to Star in London WICKED
Posted: 4/21/06 at 12:30pm

Wow, can you imagine the increase in tourism in London from the US? re: Idina Menzel to Star in London WICKED
I'm not gonna go after it though, I saw Wicked in March so I'm good for now.

Hartt School class of 2010 ;-)

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#79re: Idina Menzel to Star in London WICKED
Posted: 4/21/06 at 12:34pm

You all keep saying she's a nobody there, she's a nobody here. No one, besides the flocks of people on 51st street, close to 8th avenue, know who she is.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

Zachary Goldfarb
#80re: Idina Menzel to Star in London WICKED
Posted: 4/21/06 at 12:35pm

That's not true at all.

BrianWilsonFan
#81re: Idina Menzel to Star in London WICKED
Posted: 4/21/06 at 12:39pm

Very few Broadway perfomers reach my quiet corner of the world through word of mouth and by the time they get to my mountain there's a fair old splash building up. Believe me, Idina's ripple started some time ago: - )

Updated On: 4/21/06 at 12:39 PM

BroadwayGirl107
#82re: Idina Menzel to Star in London WICKED
Posted: 4/21/06 at 12:39pm

WickedGeek, that's not true at all. She's a huge *theatre* star on the verge of making her way into the film and recording industry. She's the theatre "it" girl right now, if you will.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#83re: Idina Menzel to Star in London WICKED
Posted: 4/21/06 at 12:41pm

She still has her big record deal right?

When is she going to work on a record?

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#84re: Idina Menzel to Star in London WICKED
Posted: 4/21/06 at 12:46pm

I didn't think there was any way in hell she would come back to this show.

Maybe all the screaming girls in red tracksuits will move to England...???

"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

BroadwayGirl107
#85re: Idina Menzel to Star in London WICKED
Posted: 4/21/06 at 12:47pm

ljay, she already is.

neocomposer Profile Photo
neocomposer
#86re: Idina Menzel to Star in London WICKED
Posted: 4/21/06 at 12:53pm

This is just about the smartest move they could have made. And I'm really happy for Idina, because crossing the Atlantic is bold, and will be an amazing experience for her. Plus, her voice should be fine as she is only in the run for a limited engagement.

I admit it would be brilliant to see Idina fly again.

"That Sondheim kid has a big future."-Nathan Lane

DottieD'Luscia
#87re: Idina Menzel to Star in London WICKED
Posted: 4/21/06 at 1:09pm

Though I'm not a big fan of hers, it at least gives her the opportunity to have a real "final" performance.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

BroadwayGirl107
#88re: Idina Menzel to Star in London WICKED
Posted: 4/21/06 at 1:11pm

IF the trap doors don't fail again.

SweetQintheLights
#89re: Idina Menzel to Star in London WICKED
Posted: 4/21/06 at 1:12pm

Dottie- who said she's going to have a "real final" performance? re: Idina Menzel to Star in London WICKED

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178

BSoBW2
#90re: Idina Menzel to Star in London WICKED
Posted: 4/21/06 at 1:12pm

Way to jinx it.

SweetQintheLights
#91re: Idina Menzel to Star in London WICKED
Posted: 4/21/06 at 1:13pm

From now until the end of her performance in Wicked, I would like to see how many red track suits are purchased.

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#92re: Idina Menzel to Star in London WICKED
Posted: 4/21/06 at 1:19pm

As long as those purchases are paid for in Pounds, then I think we should all be safe.

"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

BrianWilsonFan
#93re: Idina Menzel to Star in London WICKED
Posted: 4/21/06 at 1:23pm

What's with the red track suits?

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
#94re: Idina Menzel to Star in London WICKED
Posted: 4/21/06 at 1:30pm

Brian, when Idina broke her ribs and could not perform her last show, Shoshana Bean went on. At the end, Idina came out in a red track suit. Since then, many many fangirls have bought the items.

I say congrats to Idina. If the money's good, if it will broaden her fanbase, and she gets to own the role, let her do it.

I have a feeling lots of fangirls will be taking a trip to London, though.

neddyfrank2
#95re: Idina Menzel to Star in London WICKED
Posted: 4/21/06 at 1:32pm

A couple thoughts on this one, first off Congrats to Marc Platt, David Stone, Idina Menzel, and the West-End Cast of Wicked.
Second, Watch out for the teeny boppers on this board, I have a feeling they are coming back
Third off, for the people who said that she didn't get any movie deals after Ask the Dust, I happen to know that she had been in talks to do this on and off since November, they found out officially in Late March, and decided to wait a month to anounce it.

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#96re: Idina Menzel to Star in London WICKED
Posted: 4/21/06 at 1:32pm

I really wanted them to get Stephanie J. Block to do it, I want her voice on a cast recording of the show!

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#97re: Idina Menzel to Star in London WICKED
Posted: 4/21/06 at 1:34pm

This has to be one of the finer examples of why you should "never say never" in this business.

Like someone said earlier, she's just there to help open the show. This is obviously a very strategic move on the part of her managers and the producers. It's been interesting reading you all state your thoughts on whether the move is a good one or not - I'm leaning towards it being a good move, but I just can't believe she's going back so soon.

Edited to add:
Horton ~ as much as I'd love to have Steph on a recording, if she ever goes back to Wicked I'll slap her! ...Ok, maybe not slap her but she better have a damn good reason (10 year anniversary or movie version or something) HA HA

Updated On: 4/21/06 at 01:34 PM

DottieD'Luscia
#98re: Idina Menzel to Star in London WICKED
Posted: 4/21/06 at 1:34pm

Horton, you're not the only one.

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#99re: Idina Menzel to Star in London WICKED
Posted: 4/21/06 at 1:39pm

But as Popular just said, I would not be suprised if after Idina opened the show, they brought somebody across the pond (Stephanie, Julia or Eden) to continue. I think this will be another "Producers" instance when the Producers of Wicked bring actors across the pond (recycle them)