pixeltracker

Who should star in a movie version of Aida? And why?

Who should star in a movie version of Aida? And why?

TennesseeTwang
#0Who should star in a movie version of Aida? And why?
Posted: 4/27/06 at 6:32pm

This subject came up on the "Who's the best Aida?" thread and in an attempt to prevent that thread from being hijacked, I present the question here.

Who would you cast in a film version of Aida? Who would you like to see directing the film, writing it, producing it OR doing the costumes?

Would you change the score to make it more like traditional Broadway or less? Would you add or subtract numbers?

For production values, would you go for the stylized stage look, something more authentic to the time, or would you prefer something in between?

How would you make this very unique show work on the big screen? Can it work on the big screen?

Let your imaginations run wild.
Updated On: 4/27/06 at 06:32 PM

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#1re: Who should star in a movie version of Aida? And why?
Posted: 4/27/06 at 6:34pm

there should be NO Aida movie.

that musical should be put to sleep.

not that i'm opinionated...or anything re: Who should star in a movie version of Aida? And why?

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#2re: Who should star in a movie version of Aida? And why?
Posted: 4/27/06 at 6:39pm

They should do it as an animated movie. Halle Berry can be the speaking voice and Rebecca Luker can be the singing Aida.

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#3re: Who should star in a movie version of Aida? And why?
Posted: 4/27/06 at 6:40pm

If there was an AIDA movie, it would liekly end up being Beyonce and Jessica Simpson starring. So with that in mind, it had better not happen.

Chloe Profile Photo
Chloe
#4re: Who should star in a movie version of Aida? And why?
Posted: 4/27/06 at 6:41pm

Aw, I love Aida, but it's hard to imagine a film version of it. I think it would either have to be changed quite drastically or get the Kiss Me Kate treatment. In other words, Aida would be the show that a theater company is putting on. I love the design of the Broadway production, and this way it could be kept intact. And of course, the OBC should be cast.

sassypanz
#5re: Who should star in a movie version of Aida? And why?
Posted: 4/27/06 at 6:48pm

Once she loses weight, MANDISA!!!!!

MeGustaJake
#6re: Who should star in a movie version of Aida? And why?
Posted: 4/27/06 at 6:58pm

I would love if they brought "Aida" to screen. It is my second favorite musical, and I hate that it closed so soon on Broadway.

I love Heather Headley. I honestly think she should play the role if it was ever adapted into a film. Characters like Amneris and Rameses, could be bigger stars to draw a public audience in.

I wouldn't mind if it were animated, either. There are so many ways this movie could work! They would need a GREAT director, though. No more of this Schumacher-Columbus business.
Updated On: 4/27/06 at 06:58 PM

Sparklesss Profile Photo
Sparklesss
#7re: Who should star in a movie version of Aida? And why?
Posted: 4/27/06 at 7:13pm

heather should play aida...as for the princess, i guess idina...not sure about that tho. i'd boycott it if they gave it to jessica simpson. Mandy Moore is the only 'pop star' i think that has any theatre talent...and she doesn't have the chops for it.

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#8re: Who should star in a movie version of Aida? And why?
Posted: 4/27/06 at 7:16pm

Mandy Moore could definitely handle the score of Aida. Maybe not in a theatre 8 shows a week, but for a film? Sure.

OOTI2004 Profile Photo
OOTI2004
#9re: Who should star in a movie version of Aida? And why?
Posted: 4/27/06 at 8:11pm

Of course I would want the original cast to star in the movie, although that is probably just a dream.
I think Adam Pascal is becoming a big enough name, but Sherie and Heather aren't. I actually like the idea mentioned of Halle Berry, as long as someone dubbed the vocals, or who knows maybe she can sing.

Sparklesss Profile Photo
Sparklesss
#10re: Who should star in a movie version of Aida? And why?
Posted: 4/27/06 at 8:46pm

I just don't know if MM could belt the beginning notes, that's all i'm thinking...trust me, i love her but i think she'd be more suited for like les mis or something...

edit-i'd LOVE it if Adam was in it!! Updated On: 4/27/06 at 08:46 PM

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#11re: Who should star in a movie version of Aida? And why?
Posted: 4/27/06 at 10:18pm

I would like to see Beyonce and Jessica Simpson in Aida. Heather Headley is not a big name yet, despite of her great CD sales, she is not mainstream yet. Nick Lachey is out of the question, but he'd be a great Radames.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

collins Profile Photo
collins
#12re: Who should star in a movie version of Aida? And why?
Posted: 4/28/06 at 9:31am

The original cast, definitely!!

<---Adopt a shelter pet!

mejusthavingfun Profile Photo
mejusthavingfun
#13re: Who should star in a movie version of Aida? And why?
Posted: 4/28/06 at 9:42am

I hope they do a Liz Taylor style Egypt. Adam Pascal needs to quit while he's ahead. He was terrible in the Rent movie, he's old and gross. I say find someone who can act and actually looks good for this. Remember the "Written in the Stars" video? They had a hot black and white couple in that. That's what I want. I think Simpson is fine for Amneris,, those songs arent that difficult. Aida has to be able to belt.. but that's about it. I think Jessica Simpson would actually bring some dimension to the role that needs to be there.

TennesseeTwang
#14re: Who should star in a movie version of Aida? And why?
Posted: 4/28/06 at 10:26am

i wishe producers would get away from the belief that pop stars are the solution to movie musical box oofice problems.

I know people adore Beyonce but she just does not impress me an as actress. That stunned look and the fact that she isn't very articulate drives me nuts.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#15re: Who should star in a movie version of Aida? And why?
Posted: 4/28/06 at 10:29am

Noooooooooo moooooovie.

And HA. I love how someone posts that Adam Pascal can't act, and then in the same post, suggests that Jessica Simpson should play Amneris. You say he can't act, but you think she can? That shows good judgement.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

FranklinShepard-Inc.
#16re: Who should star in a movie version of Aida? And why?
Posted: 4/28/06 at 11:15am

my sentiments exactly lol, the main question would be: why do something like it at all.

After all: Elton John just brought something to Broadway that hasn't quite won critical acclaim and neither over-enthusiastic loads of fans. He should go more towards writing stuff like Billy Elliot and less like Aida/Lestat.

javero Profile Photo
javero
#17re: Who should star in a movie version of Aida? And why?
Posted: 4/28/06 at 11:49am

I'm sorry but Halle Berry is pushing 40 hard and cannot pull off the princess bit any longer, certainly not after MB & the upcoming flick with Bruce Willis in which she'll service "self". There was some issue made of the ages of all the ladies that starred in the titular role on Broadway. I do like the suggestion of Mandy Moore casted in the role of Amneris. Overall, I really don't wanna see a screen transfer.

#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#18re: Who should star in a movie version of Aida? And why?
Posted: 4/28/06 at 1:29pm

Hugh Jackman & Aretha Franklin.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Sparklesss Profile Photo
Sparklesss
#19re: Who should star in a movie version of Aida? And why?
Posted: 4/28/06 at 2:56pm

I def. don't think Adam was terrible and gross...from a girls pt of view i think he was def. gorgeous in the movie. and yeah the role of the princess requires belting...not screaming. jessica simpson screams.

silent
#20re: Who should star in a movie version of Aida? And why?
Posted: 5/2/06 at 2:00am

So basically any Broadway play with a black female lead should go to Beyonce, right?

SMDH. Ridiculous.

iliketheater Profile Photo
iliketheater
#21re: Who should star in a movie version of Aida? And why?
Posted: 5/2/06 at 2:07am

thank you silent.

Kringas
#22re: Who should star in a movie version of Aida? And why?
Posted: 5/2/06 at 2:19am

I think Jessica Simpson would actually bring some dimension to the role that needs to be there

Wow.

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#23re: Who should star in a movie version of Aida? And why?
Posted: 5/2/06 at 2:23am

... with what, her boobs? That's the only dimension she has.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#24re: Who should star in a movie version of Aida? And why?
Posted: 5/2/06 at 3:23am

well, everyone is entitled to an opinion, i liked adam pascal in rent and in anything he does...but if someone thinks he can't act, that is their problem. beyonce is simply the black singer with the highest profile under 35yo right now, that's why many suggested her. i am sure many other girls could handle the role of aida, her DC mate kelly rowland is as good of a singer as beyonce, and krystal l washington from rent could be amazing as aida, they just dont have the level of fame that beyonce has. but then beyonce's name couldn't make a hit out of "pink panther" so it's all relative. still producers probably wouldn't want to do the movie with heather headley or saycon as aida.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Videos