pixeltracker

Howard McGillin A GREAT PERFORMER

Howard McGillin A GREAT PERFORMER

robert2 Profile Photo
robert2
#0Howard McGillin A GREAT PERFORMER
Posted: 6/14/06 at 9:51am

I cant stand people writing in and putting down a fantastic actor who is a broadway veteran. Mr McGillin has been a light on broadway for many years!! don't put him down for a problem with the tony's,,, we dont know what went wrong. He is a fantastic phantom and also brings class in every part he takes on.
he should of been able to sing the whole song! If your going to tribute Hal Prince a great man the tony people should have done it right .

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#1re: Howard McGillin A GREAT PERFORMER
Posted: 6/14/06 at 9:57am

We do know what went wrong, he was on autopilot and he sang the show's version.

I agree, he is a great performer. He really stands out in Anything Goes as well.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

Blanche Profile Photo
Blanche
#2re: Howard McGillin A GREAT PERFORMER
Posted: 6/14/06 at 10:04am

WickedGeek, you are wrong, that is NOT what happened. I know because someone dear to me was on stage with Howard at the time. The music was pre-recorded. They started it too soon, while he was still being introduced and during the applause. He, being the professional that he is, covered up THEIR mistake the best he could. He was not on "autopilot".

mijofly19
#3re: Howard McGillin A GREAT PERFORMER
Posted: 6/14/06 at 10:25am

After watching the tape a few times I agree that that was what happened. The applause drowned out the first verse, and he started the second verse with the lines to the first one.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#4re: Howard McGillin A GREAT PERFORMER
Posted: 6/14/06 at 10:42am

And there in lies the problem with canned music.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Anthony3 Profile Photo
Anthony3
#5re: Howard McGillin A GREAT PERFORMER
Posted: 8/17/06 at 5:28pm

does anybody know when Howards last performance with Phantom will be?

Thanks!
Updated On: 8/17/06 at 05:28 PM

Cruel_Sandwich
#6re: Howard McGillin A GREAT PERFORMER
Posted: 8/17/06 at 5:30pm

FUN FACT: Howard provided the singing voice of Gregory in SOUTH PARK: BIGGER, LONGER, AND UNCUT

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#7re: Howard McGillin A GREAT PERFORMER
Posted: 8/17/06 at 5:31pm

It was most certainly a "pre-reorded music" problem, not him. Howard is great! re: Howard McGillin A GREAT PERFORMER I have seen him a couple of times. Strong voice, commanding presense.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

KQuill Profile Photo
KQuill
#8re: Howard McGillin A GREAT PERFORMER
Posted: 8/18/06 at 8:53am

Not only was it not his fault, but I thought he covered it up pretty well. He didn't stumble over any words and he jumped right to the correct measure as soon as he realized what had happened.

NJRae Profile Photo
NJRae
#9re: Howard McGillin A GREAT PERFORMER
Posted: 8/18/06 at 10:03am

He is an amazing performer and so nice as well. My father has a friend who is a good friend of Howards and he got my sister and I tickets and got us back stage to meet him (Howard). Such a nice man! We actually brought up the Tonys (this was shortly afterward) but didn't directly ask him what happened. He laughed about it and said only that it was fun but too short. He said if you blinked you could have missed it, lol.

I just ordered his CD (Where Time Stands Still). Does anyone have it? I just love his voice. I can't wait for it to get here!

"I wrote a book: "How to Be Popular". Now I've put together a top ten list of how to help you: -Elphie, everyday... shower. I mean, who knows? Maybe some of that green is gonna come off! -Deodorant Elphie. No body likes a stinky witch! -I think we've covered the hair, we'll get to that. -Clean underclothes. That's all I'm gonna say. -Look at your posture. That's no way to be popular! -Bed made, room straightened. We've done that. -Colors blended. Oookay. -But the most important thing to have, to make yourself popular, is to keep your beautiful smile." ~Kristin Chenoweth in her last performance of the song "Popular"

Anthony3 Profile Photo
Anthony3
#10re: Howard McGillin A GREAT PERFORMER
Posted: 8/18/06 at 4:26pm

I will try to ask my question again:

Does anybody know when Howard McGillins last show will be?

Thanks

Gingersnap Profile Photo
Gingersnap
#11re: Howard McGillin A GREAT PERFORMER
Posted: 8/18/06 at 4:30pm

The last I've heard...from a friend who asked him at the stage door a couple of weeks ago was "October." But nothing specific.

http://www.hugh-panaro.net

ahimsa Profile Photo
ahimsa
#12re: Howard McGillin A GREAT PERFORMER
Posted: 8/18/06 at 5:04pm

Did anyone else happen to catch him in "Kiss of the Spider Woman"?

I was deeply affected by his performance. He kindly signed my Playbill afterwards, which was a super treat for me. I'll always offer high accolades for him and his work.

#13re: Howard McGillin A GREAT PERFORMER
Posted: 8/18/06 at 6:59pm

I agree! Howard is a great performer.

And yes, as of 2 weeks ago, Howard said that his current POTO contract ends in October, but whether he will be renewing it is still up in the air.

~Roz

Anthony3 Profile Photo
Anthony3
#14re: Howard McGillin A GREAT PERFORMER
Posted: 8/18/06 at 9:08pm

great, thanks! I really hope he renews it because he really deserves to stay in the show forever! He is the best!!

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#15re: Howard McGillin A GREAT PERFORMER
Posted: 8/18/06 at 10:22pm

He was brilliant in DROOD...should have won the Tony.

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#16re: Howard McGillin A GREAT PERFORMER
Posted: 8/18/06 at 10:28pm

Wow, old thread. And my post was a joke because of how long he has been with the show. I'm actually a big fan of his work.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

peggyandvelma Profile Photo
peggyandvelma
#17re: Howard McGillin A GREAT PERFORMER
Posted: 8/18/06 at 11:16pm

Mmmm. Howard McGillin. *swoon*

No one is alone.

#18re: Howard McGillin A GREAT PERFORMER
Posted: 8/18/06 at 11:20pm

I have admired this man for years. Hard to believe that this incredibly gifted man of the Theatre doesn't have a Tony and I wholeheartedly agree with melissaerricofan that he should have won for DROOD - He was brilliant! I also loved him in ANYTHING GOES, SHE LOVES ME, KISS OF THE SPIDERWOMAN and PHANTOM. What a pro!
Updated On: 8/19/06 at 11:20 PM

Radioactiveduck Profile Photo
Radioactiveduck
#19re: Howard McGillin A GREAT PERFORMER
Posted: 8/19/06 at 3:02am

I've never seen him in Phantom, but my friend said his performance was very enjoyable, but completely forgettable.

Videos