pixeltracker

The Single Most Awesome Set Piece- Page 4

The Single Most Awesome Set Piece

once a month Profile Photo
once a month
#75re: The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 6/22/06 at 4:22pm

The grand white staircase in CARRIE(the musical). What in the hell did that mean???

Scottie310
#76re: The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 6/22/06 at 4:52pm

I agree with Pillowman. The contast of the bland colored set of the interigation rooms with the bright story book esque sets for the stories above.

I also loved the rotating restaurant in Wedding Singer. I thought it was really creative

coolphantom919 Profile Photo
coolphantom919
#77re: The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 7/1/06 at 7:39pm

WICKED!

xbRadxx Profile Photo
xbRadxx
#78re: The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 7/1/06 at 7:45pm

everything in aida and dracula.

ThankstoPhantom
#79re: The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 7/1/06 at 9:37pm

The lake in POTO...hands down.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

Dover
#80re: The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 7/2/06 at 2:30am

There won't be real water in the lake in the Vegas Phantom. That was indeed the original idea, but was scrapped probably about a year ago. The story I heard was that it had to do with regulations about electricity and water. Apparently you can have lights in water, and you can have actors in water, but you can't have lights in water when actors are in it. So without being able to make the candles come up through the water while the actors are on the boat, it didn't make much sense. Too bad, as I was really curious to see how it would work.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#81re: The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 7/2/06 at 4:30am

-Sunset Blvd's mansion.
-Chitty's car was fabulous.
-Kiss of the Spider Woman's Web.
-Wonderful Town's fantastic set that took one back to the period.
-Piazza's Florence.
-Bombay Dreams was full of glamorous and ravishing sets.
-The innovative system used for The Woman in White, it might have not worked too well for everybody(i must admit it made one dizzy eventually) but just the fact they did something completely new is worth mentioning.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

dancinfan
#82re: The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 7/2/06 at 7:47am

The tipping house in the rain - An Inspector Calls

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#83re: The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 7/2/06 at 9:58am

i have to agree. WHAT staircase in Carrie are they talking about? did i miss a part?

i loved the Sunday In the Park with George set. the way they meshed the line between picture and actor was amazing....

RuprechtJr.
#84The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 7/25/06 at 11:20pm

The David's Star in Spamalot. Just kidding. I just saw Spamalot and that made me cry I was laughing so hard.

"Aye-Oi!" HAHA!

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#85The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 7/25/06 at 11:27pm

Jumpers
History Boys

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

thevolleyballer
#86The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 7/25/06 at 11:34pm

I love the airplane that Julia sings from in WEDDING SINGER. It's far from awesome, but I love it.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#87The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 7/25/06 at 11:54pm

There is a phenominal transition in The Lord of the Rings. 5 or 6 peices of white fabric are flown out of the stage but remain connected to one of the 4 revolves and then the stage begins to turn the fabric gets twisted together. Its crazy!

bigbigbill Profile Photo
bigbigbill
#88The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 7/26/06 at 1:05am

The Drowsy Chaperone set.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#89The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 7/26/06 at 9:22am

To clarify, at the very end of CARRIE (after "The Destruction" when all the high school kids are killed), a huge white staircase decsends upon the stage. I have no clue what it is supposed to symbolize (staircase to heaven?? it really makes no sense). Margaret White walks down the staircase towards her daughter, who is still covered in pig's blood. While sitting in the middle of the huge white staircase, Margaret sings to her daughter about how much she loves her, then stabs her to death. While Carrie is dying, she uses her powers to kill her mother. Margaret White is lying dead in the middle of the white staircase. Carrie crawls down the staircase to Sue, the only high schooler left alive, and dies in her arms at the bottom of the white staircase. The curtain falls.

And to answer the initial question of this post, according to my mom, the set of BAKER STREET was incredible. Wish I could have been around to see that show.

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#90The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 7/26/06 at 9:26am

I loved the face of Mufasa in Lion King. Is that a set piece?

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

TheMecca
#91The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 7/26/06 at 9:47am

I second the giant Wizard head.
CONTROVERSIAL COMMENT:
It was the best part of the show.
END CONTROVERSIAL COMMENT
Also mentionable: the cube from Sweeney (while I can't track down pics of the original [supposedly gigantic] cube, the one on the tour DVD is pretty big too).

NYUrickydrummer
#92The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 7/26/06 at 10:17am

Hmm. I think:

- The pool of water that flooded and drained in "Nine" -- the sound of the drainage was distracting, but the effect was great.

- The neat neon signs in "Threepenny Opera" announcing the setting. For some reason, they really caught my attention and set the mood well.

- The barricade in "Les Miserables" for obvious reasons.

Also, it's not really a set piece, but special mention should go to "Light in the Piazza" for its amazingly gorgeous yet simple set design.

Mattbrain
#93The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 7/26/06 at 10:22am

The sets of Wicked, The Light in the Piazza, and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels were awesome.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

tz0o
#94The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 7/26/06 at 12:45pm

Revolving turntable in Les Miserables!

You insult me, I ignore you. That's how the system works around here.

#95The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 7/26/06 at 12:53pm

i have to say a lot of the set pieces in the wedding seinger are REALLY creative:

-the airplane
-the rotating restaurant
-i love how they put the bouquet on the stick to guide it (not really a set piece tho)
-robbies bed (adds a lot of comesy to the show)
-glen's car (thats cute how they did that)

i know theyre not the "most awesome" set pieces but they were really creative

maybe1day
#96The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 7/26/06 at 12:55pm

i second that damn time dragon. i was like "how to they get all that metal to move like that?!?!"...yea, i know
the metal sculpture in rent was a pretty cool idea

SweeneyPhanatic
#97The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 7/26/06 at 2:44pm

To those who have mentioned the "gargoyle" in Phantom: It's an angel, NOT a gargoyle, and the song is "All I Aks of You" NOT "Say You Love Me."

-- SDG