pixeltracker

Gavin Creel's first performance as Bert - Review

Gavin Creel's first performance as Bert - Review

Practically Perfect Profile Photo
Practically Perfect
#0Gavin Creel's first performance as Bert - Review
Posted: 7/26/06 at 7:34pm

So I just got back from Gavin's first show. He was sooooooooooo good!!! He has such an amazing voice - he makes it sound effortless. His accent is great - nothing like Dick Van Dyke! He dances beautifully too. He did look a bit scared at the beginning, but by 'Jolly Holiday' he seemed to be happier. He got a great reception this evening, and he looked chuffed to pieces, blowing kisses to the audience and cast. I know he'll get better over time, but if you hadn't known it was his first performance, you would have thought he'd been playing the role for a while. I'm so happy for him - he's such a talent!

Mary P x

thespian geek Profile Photo
thespian geek
#1re: Gavin Creel's first performance as Bert - Review
Posted: 7/26/06 at 8:15pm

Aw, yay! That's really great news. :) I still wish they had him originating the role on Broadway instead of the moving him to London to replace the guy who's moving over here... haha. I'm sad I won't get to see him as Bert, though!

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#2re: Gavin Creel's first performance as Bert - Review
Posted: 7/26/06 at 8:18pm

I am glad to hear this review. I will be visiting the UK next week and have a ticket to see this.

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#3re: Gavin Creel's first performance as Bert - Review
Posted: 7/26/06 at 8:29pm

I wish I could see him...I wish he would come to Broadway in this. He's quite the talent!

RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~

NathanLaneStalker
#4re: Gavin Creel's first performance as Bert - Review
Posted: 7/26/06 at 9:29pm

He's probably going to replace Gavin Lee on broadway when he leaves!

"I'm tellin' you, the only times I really feel the presence of God are when I'm having sex and during a great Broadway musical." - Nathan Lane - Jeffrey

NathanLaneStalker
#5re: Gavin Creel's first performance as Bert - Review

"I'm tellin' you, the only times I really feel the presence of God are when I'm having sex and during a great Broadway musical." - Nathan Lane - Jeffrey

NathanLaneStalker
#6re: Gavin Creel's first performance as Bert - Review

NathanLaneStalker
#7re: Gavin Creel's first performance as Bert - Review
Posted: 7/26/06 at 9:30pm

NathanLaneStalker
#8re: Gavin Creel's first performance as Bert - Review

NathanLaneStalker
#9re: Gavin Creel's first performance as Bert - Review

NathanLaneStalker
#10re: Gavin Creel's first performance as Bert - Review
Posted: 7/26/06 at 9:32pm

I'm sooo sorry! My computer froze. re: Gavin Creel's first performance as Bert - Review Sorry!

myManCape Profile Photo
myManCape
#11re: Gavin Creel's first performance as Bert - Review
Posted: 7/26/06 at 9:36pm

Glad to hear Gavin's doing well.

Hey did anyone else hear that He's probably going to replace Gavin Lee on broadway when he leaves?

"Have they come yet?"

neddyfrank2
#12re: Gavin Creel's first performance as Bert - Review
Posted: 7/26/06 at 9:38pm

Spoiler Maybe

Did he tap dance over the celing? I didn't know he could tap.

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#13re: Gavin Creel's first performance as Bert - Review
Posted: 7/26/06 at 9:38pm

Break a leg you wondeful hottie!!!

gumbo2 Profile Photo
gumbo2
#14re: Gavin Creel's first performance as Bert - Review
Posted: 7/27/06 at 12:00am

glad to hear he gave a great performance...not that I had any doubts, but now 'm even more excited to see him next week!

And no, mymancape, where did you hear he might replace Gavin Lee on broadway when he leaves?

ruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
#15re: Gavin Creel's first performance as Bert - Review
Posted: 7/27/06 at 12:02am

YEAH GAVIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is there any pixs?

All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings

Greekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
#16re: Gavin Creel's first performance as Bert - Review
Posted: 7/27/06 at 5:35am

That's great for him !!!
Another great review by BWW's resident London reviewer !!! Mary, what would we ever do without you ? You are a treasure, baby !!

Practically Perfect Profile Photo
Practically Perfect
#17re: Gavin Creel's first performance as Bert - Review
Posted: 7/27/06 at 7:21am

I've heard that he probably will replace Gavin Lee on broadway. And he can tap dance - he got a bit out at the beginning of his solo tap routine, but was fine when he walked over the proscenium.

Mary P x

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#18re: Gavin Creel's first performance as Bert - Review
Posted: 7/27/06 at 10:30am

Of course the gorgeous multi-talented Gavin Creel can tap dance! If you saw him in THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE, you know he can tap like a chap. He didn't have a lot of tapping in MILLIE, but the little he did have came easily.

I too wish he were originated the role here on Broadway. It would have made so much sense to cast him here. He has recognition, a Tony nomination under his belt, and so much talent! Well I'm glad to hear he is wowing audiences in London.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 7/27/06 at 10:30 AM

Mattbrain
#19re: Gavin Creel's first performance as Bert - Review
Posted: 7/27/06 at 12:01pm

You don't know what you're missing. I'm not dissing Gavin Creel (I've only heard him on the Bright Lights, Big City CD but I'll admit he does have the voice of an angel) but Gavin Lee was amazing! Broadway is in for a big time treat. He stole the show. Hopefully, they won't cut too much of his material on Broadway like the bit with the proscenium arch.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

ruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
#20re: Gavin Creel's first performance as Bert - Review
Posted: 7/27/06 at 1:30pm

I personally.. n prob the only one didnt really care about Lee as Bert when I saw the shows 4 times... i thought Ms Andrews n the choreography n set totally stole the show. But I think Gavin Creel would be a great job!

All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings

neddyfrank2
#21re: Gavin Creel's first performance as Bert - Review
Posted: 7/27/06 at 1:51pm

What?

And you guys won't be wishing that Creel originated the role over here after you see Gavin Lee perform it.

WeddedBliss22 Profile Photo
WeddedBliss22
#22re: Gavin Creel's first performance as Bert - Review
Posted: 7/27/06 at 1:59pm

I saw Gavin Lee perform the role, he was fun, but I thought he lacked a bit of "something" in the performance I saw, I'm excited that I'll be getting the chance to see Gavin Creel in the role when I go to London with school in October!

Tina Maddigan, who plays Sophie in the biggest role of her young career, remembers "bouncing on the sofa as a child at home in Newfoundland, listening to ABBA records." GO TINA!!

Jenny3 Profile Photo
Jenny3
#23re: Gavin Creel's first performance as Bert - Review
Posted: 7/27/06 at 2:12pm

Broadway definately has a treat in store with the arrival of Gavin Lee. He was absolutely amazing in the London production and i wish he was staying! However, it is a bit selfish to keep him here as he has been in the role for 2 years or so! I am yet to see whether Gavin Creel is a sound investment for us but judging by the feedback he's getting, no doubt he will be brilliant.

WickedOne2 Profile Photo
WickedOne2
#24re: Gavin Creel's first performance as Bert - Review
Posted: 7/27/06 at 2:18pm

I am so happy for Gavin. I got an email from him and he seemed super excited about starting his run.

"I wish the stage were as narrow as the wire of a tightrope dancer, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it." Goethe

Videos