Unexpected Showtunes

achancetofly Profile Photo
achancetofly
#0Unexpected Showtunes
Posted: 8/10/06 at 11:33pm

What are some songs you've either so often heard in popular culture or have so often been referenced to that you never realized that they were from a musical until you heard the cast recording or a Broadway compilation album of some sort?

Here are some of mine:

"Ballad of Mack the Knife" from Threepenny Opera (I had no idea this was from a musical...I always grew up with my dad singing along to Frank Sinatra's version..)

"I Only Have Eyes For You" from 42nd Street

"Whatever Lola Wants" from Damn Yankees

"Tea for Two" from No, No, Nannette

Those are just a few..I'll let you guys name a bunch!

"Cages or wings, which do you prefer?"-- Tick, Tick...BOOM!

sondheimsweetie07 Profile Photo
sondheimsweetie07
#1re: Unexpected Showtunes
Posted: 8/10/06 at 11:36pm

this sounds really dumb but i didn't know the song aquairius was from hair

achancetofly
#2re: Unexpected Showtunes
Posted: 8/10/06 at 11:37pm

Hahhaa neither did I! I was hoping someone would mention that one...I was too embarrassed to list that one...

But yeah, it's not dumb, because I didn't know it either!

JamesMacon Profile Photo
JamesMacon
#3re: Unexpected Showtunes
Posted: 8/10/06 at 11:49pm

"All that jazz" from Chicago.

achancetofly
#4re: Unexpected Showtunes
Posted: 8/10/06 at 11:51pm

Yep, that's one of mine too!

aspen Profile Photo
aspen
#5re: Unexpected Showtunes
Posted: 8/10/06 at 11:53pm

Ooh this is my first post! I'm so excited to just jump right in and reveal my ignorance early on with a thread like this...

Honestly, I was like 15 before I realized how much Gershwin and Cole Porter stuff was from musical theatre. I just knew it from Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, etc.

And ditto for Age of Aquarius! I totally thought it was a 5th Dimension song, hahaha.

iHeartMyGeek: But Pittsburgh also has many good qualities too!
ahmelie: Are you implying that twinkies and lesbians are bad? BITCH!

CurtisTaylorJr2 Profile Photo
CurtisTaylorJr2
#6re: Unexpected Showtunes
Posted: 8/10/06 at 11:56pm

"Some Enchanted Evening" South Pacific
"And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going" Dreamgirls

This is before I was a musical theater observer.

achancetofly
#7re: Unexpected Showtunes
Posted: 8/10/06 at 11:58pm

That's exactly my situation, aspen.

Until recently, I really did not know much about the realm of musical theatre before Rodgers and Hammerstein. All my knowledge was based from R&H stuff onward, so when I first saw the Broadway:The American Musical special on PBS, I learned a LOT. I then got the compilation CDs, and learned how many of those songs I had no idea were from musicals.

I knew it all from Fran and Ella, just like you said. Which is why most of the ones I mentioned up there are all earlier musicals.

And by the way, great first post. You won't believe how many morons join this board and just post ridiculous posts with no knowledge of spelling, grammar, or proper usage of the search function. Welcome to the boards!

achancetofly
#8re: Unexpected Showtunes
Posted: 8/10/06 at 11:59pm

Ditto on the "Some Enchanted Evening", Curtis.

Yero
#9re: Unexpected Showtunes
Posted: 8/11/06 at 12:03am

"Big Spender" from Sweet Charity (My grandfather would always listen to Shirley Bassey, and her version was the only version I knew.
Also...
"Luck Be A Lady" from Guys and Dolls.

"I have this mental image of Patti barreling down the street and pushing tourists out of her way." -colleen_lee

aspen Profile Photo
aspen
#10re: Unexpected Showtunes
Posted: 8/11/06 at 12:06am

Phew! I'm not regarded as a moron--yet. That's a relief :) And I thought of another one: "Girl, You're a Woman"

I thought this was a Dolly Parton song. No idea it was from Best Little Whorehouse in Texas. AND I LIVE in Texas. Sad, isn't it?

iHeartMyGeek: But Pittsburgh also has many good qualities too!
ahmelie: Are you implying that twinkies and lesbians are bad? BITCH!

achancetofly
#11re: Unexpected Showtunes
Posted: 8/11/06 at 12:08am

Ooh, you've got some good ones, Yero! I was gonna add "Luck Be a Lady" to my list, but I wanted to see if someone else would mention it, haha.

And I haven't heard anything from Sweet Charity, so that's a new one! I had no idea "Big Spender" was from it. My friend Mindy is always singing it, and I never bothered to ask. Awesome!

Madhatter Profile Photo
Madhatter
#12re: Unexpected Showtunes

Oh What a Batiful Morning-Oklhoma(my dad always sung it when taking me to school,so when I saw Oklahoma I was like wow it's from a musical, I was also like 8 years old.)

x_FedUp Profile Photo
x_FedUp
#13re: Unexpected Showtunes

Seasons of Love

We sand it in choir and someone told me it was from a sitcom... lol

greeneyed_one Profile Photo
greeneyed_one
#14re: Unexpected Showtunes
Posted: 8/11/06 at 12:10am

"Put on a Happy Face" from Bye Bye Birdie.

peggyandvelma Profile Photo
peggyandvelma
#15re: Unexpected Showtunes
Posted: 8/11/06 at 12:15am

Luck Be a Lady - Guys and Dolls
Mack the Knife - Threepenny

...and I never got the puns in Do Re Mi from the Sound of Music. I finally heard the song all the way through recently and I just got the references. I feel stupid now.

No one is alone.

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#16re: Unexpected Showtunes
Posted: 8/11/06 at 12:18am

"this sounds really dumb but i didn't know the song aquairius was from hair "

I didn't know that until right now...

brdwybound2 Profile Photo
brdwybound2
#17re: Unexpected Showtunes
Posted: 8/11/06 at 12:43am

A local radio station plays nonstop Christmas music from Thanksgiving until Christmas day, and my favorite song they always played was Hard Candy Christmas. It wasn't until I bought it on iTunes that I realized it was from Best Little Whorehouse in Texas!

somebody hold me too close...

OOTI2004 Profile Photo
OOTI2004
#18re: Unexpected Showtunes
Posted: 8/11/06 at 12:48am

We Need a Little Christmas from Mame. I Had just assumed it was another holiday song.

NathanLaneStalker
#19re: Unexpected Showtunes
Posted: 8/11/06 at 1:01am

REMEMBER: THIS IS FROM WHEN I HAD NO IDEA WHAT MUSICAL THEATRE EVEN WAS!

We Need A Little Christmas - Mame (the first time I heard it was from a muppet christmas special)

Put on a Happy Face - Bye Bye Birdie
Luck Be A Lady - G & D
Matchmaker - Fiddler

"I'm tellin' you, the only times I really feel the presence of God are when I'm having sex and during a great Broadway musical." - Nathan Lane - Jeffrey

FeelingElectric
#20re: Unexpected Showtunes
Posted: 8/11/06 at 1:36am

I don't quite know if this is what you're looking for, but here's a story. I used to Baltimore Orioles games quite frequently. They play a pre-game video with highlights from the past. They played this song about magic (Because the motto of the team is "Orioles Magic, make it happen".). I never knew what it was until listening to Sirius' Broadway's Best about six months ago. The song is Magic To Do from the musical Pippin. I always loved hearing that song whenever I went to the ballpark, and it fits baseball perfectly (Miracle plays to play, Parts to Perform, etc.).

Drench yourself in words unspoken. Live your life with arms wide open. Today is where your book begins. The rest is still unwritten. "Unwritten" Natasha Bedingfield

Lavieboheme3090 Profile Photo
Lavieboheme3090
#21re: Unexpected Showtunes
Posted: 8/11/06 at 1:42am

"Tell Me on a Sunday" from Song and Dance. I just didn't know.

Lavieboheme3090 Profile Photo
Lavieboheme3090
#22re: Unexpected Showtunes
Posted: 8/11/06 at 1:42am

"Tell Me on a Sunday" from Song and Dance. I just didn't know.

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#23re: Unexpected Showtunes
Posted: 8/11/06 at 1:46am

"Have yourself a merry little christmas" from Meet me in St. Louis

"De Lovely", "Friendship", and "You're the Top" were all songs I knew before I saw Anything Goes for the first time.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

Act4ever Profile Photo
Act4ever
#24re: Unexpected Showtunes
Posted: 8/11/06 at 1:50am

there are also a lot of people who don't know that "We're in the Money" is from 42nd Street

Videos