Musical Theatre Pet Peeves

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#0Musical Theatre Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/17/06 at 11:42am

What are some of your pet peeves in musical theatre? I'm not talking about "I hate it when so-and-so doesn't use the search feature..." or "I don't like it when people type lYkE tHiS..." or anything like that. Besides the whole cast recording/soundtrack issue, what are some of the little things that annoy you?

- when people spell Spamalot as SpamElot
- when people don't put the ! after Oklahoma --> Oklahoma!

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#1re: Musical Theatre Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/17/06 at 11:56am

I hate it when those people on stage all start singing together. talk about unrealistic! how do they all know the same words? it's definately a left wing propaganda trick to warp the fragile minds of our young children who don't need such silly and pointless material thrown at them in such a shameless fashion.

-ann coulter

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

brdwybound2 Profile Photo
brdwybound2
#2re: Musical Theatre Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/17/06 at 11:57am

I know it's not wrong, but when people say "Les Miz" it really bothers me. I always type "Les Mis".

somebody hold me too close...

Cholly
#3re: Musical Theatre Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/17/06 at 12:03pm

Two words: Jazz Hands

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#4re: Musical Theatre Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/17/06 at 12:48pm

I always use "Les Mis" too!! Wow.

My latest peeve is gum chewing. No, not chewing -- POPPING. It's getting to be a bigger problem that talking. Wet, disgusting, chewing, munching, and popping.

JamesMacon Profile Photo
JamesMacon
#5re: Musical Theatre Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/17/06 at 12:50pm

I hate when people behind you just do not stop talking. At all. For the whole performance.

luvtheatre11
#6re: Musical Theatre Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/17/06 at 12:52pm

People who talk during the performance, or unwrap candy!! UGH!! Also women wearing overpowering perfume!

JamesMacon Profile Photo
JamesMacon
#7re: Musical Theatre Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/17/06 at 12:55pm

Ooooh! Another thing: I was at a performance and someone in my row ate from a bag of potato chips constantly. Everyone was going crazy.

ThankstoPhantom
#8re: Musical Theatre Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/17/06 at 12:58pm

Pippin, did the Coulter the Yapper really say that, or did you make that up? Because that sure soudns like something she'd say.

No real dress code policy is my pet peeve.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

iHeartMyGeek Profile Photo
iHeartMyGeek
#9re: Musical Theatre Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/17/06 at 12:59pm

I hate it when womenn tease their hair to be relaly big before they go to the theater. My mother and I went to see The Wedding Singer, it was teh only show we were going to get to see on that trip. And the woman sitting in front of my mother's hair was massive. It was teased up into a huge poof. And my poor mother couldn't see anything. she had to lean to the side for the whole two and a half hours of the performance. She had such bad neck problems for days after that.

"I can't figure out what kind of life this is, comedy or tragedy, I just know it's showbiz. And what if I don't agree with the lines I have to read? They don't pay me enough, the way I see it."

bwaylvsong
#10re: Musical Theatre Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/17/06 at 1:00pm

LATECOMERS!!!!

to wherever
#11re: Musical Theatre Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/17/06 at 1:06pm

Ah, yes. Latecomers drive me nuts.

When I was at Sweeney, there were people who came in 40 minutes late. Why bother?

sunflower12063 Profile Photo
sunflower12063
#12re: Musical Theatre Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/17/06 at 1:10pm

late arrivals
wearing perfume and/or cologne
eating/drinking
talking
cell phones ringing
people wearing big hats in front of me

And my all-time favorite:

Singing along with the performers - the second time I was at Sweeney this year, a girl behind me was trying to keep up with Lauren Molina during "Kiss Me."

"I'm like a helmet without a head" -

singingshowgirl Profile Photo
singingshowgirl
#13re: Musical Theatre Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/17/06 at 1:17pm

i hate late arrivals, severly overweight people who sit next to you and are literally in your seat as well, and when actors wave with their downstage hand.

somebear
#14re: Musical Theatre Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/17/06 at 2:44pm

One of my worst moments:

Brooklyn, beginning of the song Raven (those who saw the show know what that song is like), someone's cell goes off. It is loud and annoying. Do they turn it off? No. They let it ring because they are embarrassed. The audience grumbles, the actress continues through the song, the ringing stops. 10 seconds later the same phone rings. This time the ushers come down and hunt the person down. Get him to turn off his phone. I wanted them to kick his ass out.

Attendthetale331
#15re: Musical Theatre Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/17/06 at 2:46pm

late arrivals to theater
when people where jeans.

"Listen to the song that I sing and trust me..."

somebear
#16re: Musical Theatre Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/17/06 at 2:48pm

Oh, and one more thing.

NO LEG ROOM! I can't say this enough. People aren't an average of 5'4" anymore. I'm 6'3", love musical theater, and always have to take the aisle seat scraps so that I am not pushing my neighbors legs to the side or cramping up during the performance.

The worst was also at Brooklyn when my knees were hitting the back of the head of the lady sitting in front of me as I was sitting down. Shoenfeld theater. It was awful

bwaylvsong
#17re: Musical Theatre Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/17/06 at 2:53pm

The St. James has REALLY small seats, especially in the mezzanine!

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#18re: Musical Theatre Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/17/06 at 2:54pm

--- People who do not dress at least casually when attaneding a show

--- CELL PHONES

--- Talkers and sing-a-longers

--- Late comers who have seats close to the stage or at least in front of me.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

bwaylvsong
#19re: Musical Theatre Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/17/06 at 2:54pm

The St. James has REALLY small seats, especially in the mezzanine!

bossy08 Profile Photo
bossy08
#20re: Musical Theatre Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/17/06 at 2:55pm

When people wear jeans to the theatre! When I was @ Wicked there was a huge group of teenage girls wearing jeans and flip-flops!
Updated On: 8/17/06 at 02:55 PM

bwaylvsong
#21re: Musical Theatre Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/17/06 at 2:55pm

That has got to be the strangest double post ever.

SORRY!!!!!!!

ILoveMyDictionary Profile Photo
ILoveMyDictionary
#22re: Musical Theatre Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/17/06 at 2:57pm

I hate it when people just throw their playbills on the floor and leave them behind, not bothering to take it with them.

I also hate the no dress code thing. I was at Wicked yesterday and there was a whole family in shorts and tank-tops, with their bra straps showing. Updated On: 8/17/06 at 02:57 PM

mejusthavingfun Profile Photo
mejusthavingfun
#23re: Musical Theatre Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/17/06 at 3:03pm

I hate when I see a really sucky show (Tarzan) and it gets a standing ovation. I feel compelled to get up with the crowd,, though secretly very upset and wanting to make my point.

chelle08
#24re: Musical Theatre Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/17/06 at 3:18pm

It bothers me when people are outrageous with their cheering. I mean, I clap with the best of them, and I don't mind the "woos" or anything... but the other day I was at Wicked and during As Long As You're Mine this middle-aged man starts hooting as if he's at a football game. I think there was even an "Oh yeah!" mixed in there somewhere. Maybe he was excited that the green witch was getting some? Needless to say, it was a little disturbing. It was somewhat masked among the clapping, but it was still noticeable.

And to the one who said "jazz hands"? I couldn't agree more. Granted, there's far less use of jazz hands in today's theater, but seriously... what's the point? Besides making me laugh uncontrollably, that is.

Updated On: 8/17/06 at 03:18 PM