the making of GYPSY!

#0the making of GYPSY!
Posted: 8/24/06 at 12:44am

buy the book.

* FUN FACT*
Mary Louise Wilson & Christine Ebersole both played the role of Tessie Tura!
Mary Louise Wilson in the Lansbury revivial & Christine Ebersole in the Midler film!

Updated On: 8/25/06 at 12:44 AM

BSoBW2
#1re: the making of GYPSY
Posted: 8/24/06 at 12:47am

Ethel Merman looks exactly l;ike my grandma in those pics.

aspiringactress Profile Photo
aspiringactress
#2re: the making of GYPSY
Posted: 8/24/06 at 1:01am

One day last week I was walking back to my apartment, and as I passed a used book stand on the street, the ALNM logo caught my eye. On the top of a pile in a crate under the table was this book. I don't know how I saw it because the logo on the sleeve is so small, but I did, and I asked how much it was. 7 dollars. Which is what I had in my wallet at the time, because I had been debating stopping by the bank, but hadn't. I took it for fate, and bought the book, figuring I was meant to read something in it, or it all wouldn't have worked out so perfectly. I'm not done with it yet, but I'm finding it to be VERY good so far. So I thought I'd share that story.

"We don't value the lily less for not being made of flint and built to last. Life's bounty is in it's flow, later is too late. Where is the song when it's been sung, the dance when it's been danced? It's only we humans who want to own the future too." - Tom Stoppard, Shipwreck

#3re: the making of GYPSY
Posted: 8/24/06 at 1:04am

i love that marquee:
"BEST DAMN MUSICAL I'VE SEEN IN YEARS"

Chip1012 Profile Photo
Chip1012
#4re: the making of GYPSY
Posted: 8/24/06 at 2:03am

AND Wilson understudied Lansbury!

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#5re: the making of GYPSY
Posted: 8/24/06 at 7:37am

I've said it before on this board but Zan Charisse was the best Louise I've ever seen. Maybe not as touching as Natalie Wood in the "I'm a pretty girl" scene, but no one has ever made the tomboy-to-stripper change as convincingly.

Dollypop
#6re: the making of GYPSY
Posted: 8/24/06 at 8:24am

I wholeheartedly agree about Zan Charisse. Her transformation out on the runway was a joy to behold.

I wonder what she's doing these days?

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

luvliza89 Profile Photo
luvliza89
#7re: the making of GYPSY
Posted: 8/24/06 at 8:40am

Rosalind Russell is gorgeous in that picture.

Thanks for scanning!

#8re: the making of GYPSY
Posted: 8/24/06 at 9:12am

ive only heard the cast recordings, but i ****MUCH***** prefer Charisse to Sandra Church!
Charisse's Louise is likeable, has humor & personality, which gives you tension between her & Rose...while Church's Louise just seems like a sadsack pill.

I heard the Lansbury recording first, & i couldnt understand why people didnt care for LITTLE LAMB...Charisse's version is perfectly charming!
then i heard Church's take on it & i wanted to slap her myself! when she sings "i wonder how old i am?" i want to yell "at LEAST 38!!!"

philcrosby
#9re: the making of GYPSY
Posted: 8/24/06 at 9:41am

Sandra Church, the original Louise, was a (koff, koff) "favorite" of composer Jule Styne and was cast in the show at his behest. Merman hated her, partially because of the that relationship, but also because Church shoved her "favored nations status" in the Merm's face.

I saw the Lansbury revival and Charisse's transformation into Gypsy was stunning.

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#10re: the making of GYPSY
Posted: 8/24/06 at 10:51am

Look how far away that mic is from Merman!

SorryGrateful
#11re: the making of GYPSY
Posted: 8/24/06 at 10:56am

I MUST get that book! I found a few on eBay. It looks wonderful!

You promised me poems. ~Tricky

moljul Profile Photo
moljul
#12re: the making of GYPSY
Posted: 8/24/06 at 11:15am

Does anyone know if its been updated in recent years? I have the book but would love an updated version.

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#13re: the making of GYPSY
Posted: 8/24/06 at 11:28am

copyright, anyone?

ten pages is WAY past fair use.

let's not get the moderators in do-do

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#14re: the making of GYPSY
Posted: 8/25/06 at 1:24pm

The making of GYPSY is discussed at length in the book BROADWAY
SONG & STORY, edited by Otis L. Guernsey jr., copyright 1985 by
The Dramatists Guild, Inc. The book is basically the transcripts
of seminars sponsored by the Dramatists Guild. For GYPSY, the
moderator is Terrence McNally and the 3 participants are Arthur
Laurents, Stephen Sondheim, and Jule Styne. Jerome Robbins, director and choreographer of GYPSY, was not included on this panel and has this comment to make about its discussion: "Arthur
Laurents, during the WEST SIDE STORY symposium, called our discussion 'a sort of RASHOMON WEST SIDE STORY' and he also said, 'I don't think that's the way it happened.' Those remarks
summarize perfectly my own reaction to the GYPSY symposium."
The panel discusses the making of the musical as a true
collaborative effort. It is interesting and informative and you should try to find the book. I got my copy at the Dramatists Book Store which used to be on the 2nd floor of a building near the Winter Garden. I don't know if it's still there. Maybe you could look on Ebay, or the NY Public Library.

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

Fosse76
#15re: the making of GYPSY
Posted: 8/25/06 at 1:44pm

I'm guessing that the copyright laws of the U.S. mean nothing to you.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#16re: the making of GYPSY
Posted: 8/25/06 at 2:07pm

Geez, it took the moderators less than a few hours to deleate my "Jen Cody has a tail" thread....

And that wasn't even against copyright laws....

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Videos