What comedy also made you cry?

Viola
#0What comedy also made you cry?
Posted: 9/3/06 at 2:48am

What comedy also made you cry? (musical or play)

neddyfrank2
#1re: What comedy also made you cry?
Posted: 9/3/06 at 2:51am

From laughing so hard or from sadness?

Viola
#2re: What comedy also made you cry?
Posted: 9/3/06 at 2:54am

Either- to a point of true emotion, not just absurdity.

Viola
#3re: What comedy also made you cry?
Posted: 9/3/06 at 2:55am

Either- to a point of true emotion, not just absurdity.

Janelle188
#4re: What comedy also made you cry?
Posted: 9/3/06 at 3:55am

Okay, I know this really doesn't answer the question, but I was just thinking earlier today about how the show, "The Office," even though it's a hilarious comedy, has made me cry a couple times. So, when I saw the topic, it actually made me laugh. LOL. Cause I was just thinking about this same kind of thing.

Anyway, to answer the question, I'd have to say "Avenue Q" because "There's a Fine, Fine Line" makes me tear up and even, weirdly, "I Wish I Could Go Back to College" brings a tear to my eye. Also, and I don't really know if it counts as a comedy, but in "Into the Woods," "No One is Alone" makes me cry.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#5re: What comedy also made you cry?
Posted: 9/3/06 at 4:05am

The Wedding Singer - "If I Told You"
Into the Woods - "No One is Alone"

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

FeelingElectric
#6re: What comedy also made you cry?
Posted: 9/3/06 at 7:41am

The Wedding Singer- "Grow Old With You" I can't listen to this without starting to cry.

Drench yourself in words unspoken. Live your life with arms wide open. Today is where your book begins. The rest is still unwritten. "Unwritten" Natasha Bedingfield

bwayondabrain
#7re: What comedy also made you cry?
Posted: 9/3/06 at 7:47am

Well, I don't cry, but "Grow Old With You" from WEDDING SINGER is very touching
and in DRS when Christine says she *SPOLIER* I forgot the line, but when she says that she gave Freddy all the money she had and such...yeah, I felt so bad for her!!!! I wanted to cry...

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#8re: What comedy also made you cry?
Posted: 9/3/06 at 11:27am

During the I Love You Song in Spelling Bee.

And during I Know Where I've Been from Hairspray.

WiiCKED x3
#9re: What comedy also made you cry?
Posted: 9/3/06 at 11:28am

The Wedding Singer- If I Told You.
That is such a beautiful song.
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels- Love Sneaks In.
Beautiful song.
I laughed so hard I cried when Kevin and Rita were singing "Never Too Late To Move That Thang"-TWS.
And I also laughed so hard I cried when Brian d'arcy james was doing all of his crazy moves during GBS.

snl89
#10re: What comedy also made you cry?
Posted: 9/3/06 at 11:40am

Definitely wedding singer, If I Told You and Grow Old With You re: What comedy also made you cry? its just... how could you NOT get emotional when they're being so incredibly honest and sweet and longing for eachother? I dont know.. its just amazing that way. espcecially when its Lynch/Benenti style. hehe. But Lynch/Maddigan style ain't bad either, at ALL :)

I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.

sidneybruhl Profile Photo
sidneybruhl
#11re: What comedy also made you cry?
Posted: 9/3/06 at 12:02pm

Some Neil Simon's later plays like "Biloxi Blues" and "Lost in Yonkers."

SDav 10495 Profile Photo
SDav 10495
#12re: What comedy also made you cry?
Posted: 9/3/06 at 12:10pm

I agree with some of the things others said. I haven't even seen Spelling Bee yet (*gasp!*) and "The I Love You Song" still made me tear up a little the first time I heard it.

As for something that made me tear up a bit the first time I actually saw it...the end of Drowsy (well, right before the end--you know what I mean). Is that...stupid?

"If there is going to be a restoration fee, there should also be a Renaissance fee, a Middle Ages fee and a Dark Ages fee. Someone must have men in the back room making up names, euphemisms for profit." (Emanuel Azenberg)

kate2
#13re: What comedy also made you cry?
Posted: 9/3/06 at 12:14pm

DRS made me cry from laughter.

The "I Love You Song" almost bored me to tears. The whole show is so funny and quirky, and I thought this song was too dragged out.

lamentingenvelope Profile Photo
lamentingenvelope
#14re: What comedy also made you cry?
Posted: 9/3/06 at 12:47pm

SDav, the first thing I thought of when seeing this thread was the end of Drowsy... so no, that is not stupid. Well, if it is stupid, you are least not alone in being stupid. I know exactly what you mean... I teared up a little bit too.

Necromancer07707 Profile Photo
Necromancer07707
#15re: What comedy also made you cry?
Posted: 9/3/06 at 4:14pm

Everyone is forgetting possibly the greatest of all comedies to cry to: The Boys Next Door

"I am ready to disclaim my opinion, even of yesterday, even of 10 minutes ago, because all opinions are relative. One lives in a field of influences, one is influenced by everyone one meets, everything is an exchange of influences, all opinions are derivative. Once you deal a new deck of cards, you've got a new deck of cards." — Peter Brook

OOTI2004 Profile Photo
OOTI2004
#16re: What comedy also made you cry?
Posted: 9/3/06 at 4:23pm

I always cry at the end of Mame. I can't help but think one day Mame will die. Its very strange.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#17re: What comedy also made you cry?
Posted: 9/3/06 at 4:23pm

Okay, okay, I know...BUT...

As bad as it was, I found the final scene of SIX DANCE LESSONS IN SIX WEEKS very touching.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson
Updated On: 9/3/06 at 04:23 PM

TheEnchantedHunter
#18re: What comedy also made you cry?
Posted: 9/3/06 at 4:28pm

The tragic-comedy of Broadwayworld.com always leaves me in tears.

Sister Luke (in remission)
The Belgian Congo
Updated On: 9/3/06 at 04:28 PM

elmore3003
#19re: What comedy also made you cry?
Posted: 9/3/06 at 10:31pm

The Skin of Our Teeth

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#20re: What comedy also made you cry?
Posted: 9/3/06 at 10:32pm

Company

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#21re: What comedy also made you cry?
Posted: 9/3/06 at 10:33pm

My friend said "Grow Old With You" from Wedding Singer made her get tears in her eyes.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Dollypop
#22re: What comedy also made you cry?
Posted: 9/3/06 at 10:37pm

LOST IN YONKERS

BROADWAY BOUND (will I ever forget Linda Lavin's monologue about the night she danced with George Raft? The woman actually shed years and became the age of her memory!)

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

dramaparoxysm23 Profile Photo
dramaparoxysm23
#23re: What comedy also made you cry?
Posted: 9/3/06 at 10:46pm

Spamalot had me in tears. I love Monty Python. =]
Spelling Bee's "I Love You Song"
"I'm Not That Girl" & "For Good" from Wicked [Hey, technically it's a Comedy - life goes on, etc.]
"I'll Cover You [Reprise]" & "Finale/Your Eyes" from RENT [Again, technically...]
"A Spoonful of Sugar [Reprise]" from Mary Poppins

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I remember days
Or at least I try
But as years go by
They're sort of haze
And the bluest ink
Isn't really sky
And at times I think
I would gladly die
For a day of sky

And Starbucks will use the words 'large' and 'small', not pretentious crap like grande and tall.
"You could get away with anything if you call it art and tell people who don't like it that it's cutting edge culture." --vmlinnie
Updated On: 9/4/06 at 10:46 PM

Anthony3 Profile Photo
Anthony3
#24re: What comedy also made you cry?
Posted: 9/4/06 at 12:48am

I cry from laughing soooo hard during The Drowsy Chaperone.