pixeltracker

Anything good playing in Vegas these days? *UPDATE* reality TV filming!

Anything good playing in Vegas these days? *UPDATE* reality TV filming!

newsieboy23 Profile Photo
newsieboy23
#0Anything good playing in Vegas these days? *UPDATE* reality TV filming!
Posted: 9/13/06 at 2:01pm

Going to Vegas for my birthday. Looking to see a show on Tuesday, the 26th. Any idea what is worth while? (Is this off topic?)
Updated On: 9/18/06 at 02:01 PM

DancNdaMoonlite Profile Photo
DancNdaMoonlite
#1re: Anything good playing in Vegas these days?
Posted: 9/13/06 at 2:14pm

I know that Phantom and Mamma Mia are playing. Im not sure what else.

DancNdaMoonlite Profile Photo
DancNdaMoonlite
#2re: Anything good playing in Vegas these days?
Posted: 9/13/06 at 2:14pm

Double post. Updated On: 9/13/06 at 02:14 PM

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#3re: Anything good playing in Vegas these days?
Posted: 9/13/06 at 2:40pm

although i have not seen it i heard that "Love" the new Cirque de Solei show is very good...i guess that depends if your a beatles fan or not.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

BwayStar Profile Photo
BwayStar
#4re: Anything good playing in Vegas these days?
Posted: 9/13/06 at 2:53pm

Boylesque is excellent.

EltonJ
#5re: Anything good playing in Vegas these days?
Posted: 9/13/06 at 3:06pm

ELTON JOHN THE RED PIANO

Totally an amazing experience!!!

http://www.eltonjohn.com/home_index.asp?page=now/projects/redpiano.asp

EltonJ
#6re: Anything good playing in Vegas these days?
Posted: 9/13/06 at 3:08pm

Sorry!!! I didn't realize he isn't there until October... re: Anything good playing in Vegas these days?

COOOOLkid
#7re: Anything good playing in Vegas these days?
Posted: 9/13/06 at 5:41pm

all the Cirque du Soleil (except Zumanity, of course) are really amazing. I especially liked "O", then Mystere, then Ka. I haven't seen LOVE, so I can't comment on that.

If you've never seen Phantom, then maybe that's a good choice. If you have, then skip it. Those "special effects" aren't' worth $75 in my opinion.

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

catstagestud Profile Photo
catstagestud
#8re: Anything good playing in Vegas these days?
Posted: 9/13/06 at 6:12pm

My friend told me that she thought Phantom was really exciting with all the new technology. I'm going up in three weeks for my 21st b-day and trying to decide myself. May try and get Celine tickets if I can. But I hear that any of the Cirque shows are really good. Have fun!!

Cheers,

Christopher

www.christopherviolett.com

boxers7 Profile Photo
boxers7
#9re: Anything good playing in Vegas these days?
Posted: 9/13/06 at 6:19pm

LOVE is not to be missed! If you can splurge, try not to get put in the balcony, an awesome effect involves the audience in the lower seating. Another fun show was THE WORLD'S GREATEST MAGIC SHOW, starring 8 magicians from all over the world at the Greek Isles. Got tickets 20 minutes before at Tix4Tonite.

"I don't wanna see that!" -Aunt Sassy (as played by Valerie Cherish) on Room & Bored

newsieboy23
#10re: Anything good playing in Vegas these days?
Posted: 9/13/06 at 6:40pm

Yeah, are there any good ticket discounts for vegas, other then broadwaybox? I've never been to vegas, so i dont know what to expect to pay really. I've seen most seats for most shows are over $100, and id rather not pay that much, but I do want to see something big. How's burn the floor? I own the VHS and love it. Is it any better or worse live?

Thanks,
Kyle

CarolynW Profile Photo
CarolynW
#11re: Anything good playing in Vegas these days?
Posted: 9/13/06 at 6:55pm

"Burn the Floor" opens tomorrow. I was supposed to go to a dress rehearsal today, but have not been feeling good. Media night is next week and I will try to post on here. But there is a Las Vegas regional section and I will most likely post there.

I think Phantom is good and you can't beat the cheap seats. I have sat in them and the special effects and great cast is worth it to me. I will be seeing the show for a 4th time and have sat in three different places. The next time I will be sitting hopefully on the side, as a friend is in the show and I want to see him in his understudy part.

Anyway, we have a great off-Broadway show "Forever Plaid" and it is a great price.

BTW I liked Zumanity (adult show) and many people do.:)

Yours,

Carolyn

hak Profile Photo
hak
#12re: Anything good playing in Vegas these days?
Posted: 9/13/06 at 7:01pm

ZUMANITY is fabulous. a lot of people who dislike it go expecting a "typical" Cirque Du Soleil show, which it's not.
ZUMANITY is like a vegas burlesque show w/ a CdS twist, very entertaining if you approach it w/ no pre-conceived notions.

boxers7 Profile Photo
boxers7
#13re: Anything good playing in Vegas these days?
Posted: 9/13/06 at 7:06pm

Also: I paid $107 for my Phantom balcony seats and wouldn't have had it any other way. Also: the Phantom Shop has some of the best/most reasonable prices in town.

"I don't wanna see that!" -Aunt Sassy (as played by Valerie Cherish) on Room & Bored

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#14re: Anything good playing in Vegas these days?
Posted: 9/13/06 at 7:20pm

Celeon Dion is one

Poster Emeritus

bwaylvsong
#15re: Anything good playing in Vegas these days?
Posted: 9/13/06 at 7:46pm

Avoid Ka!!!!! It just plain stinks!!!!

musicaltheater1 Profile Photo
musicaltheater1
#16re: Anything good playing in Vegas these days?
Posted: 9/13/06 at 8:21pm

If you like Barry Manilow.

"I love acting. It is so much more real than life." Oscar Wilde
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Huxley

newsieboy23
#17re: Anything good playing in Vegas these days?
Posted: 9/13/06 at 8:46pm

I guess we're between Mamma Mia and Burn the Floor. My boyfriend isnt into theatre at all, and Mia is one of the few shows I havent seen on Broadway. I have very low expectations, and will probably have had lots to drink at that point. Whats the deal with the vegas discount ticket booth? I found tix for $30 off online... any chances to find anything better?

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#18re: Anything good playing in Vegas these days?
Posted: 9/13/06 at 8:46pm

You could see Avene...oh never mind
but theres still We Will Ro....hmmmm
Doesn't matter you can have a fun night with Hairspr...
Never mind.

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

CarolynW Profile Photo
CarolynW
#19re: Anything good playing in Vegas these days?
Posted: 9/13/06 at 8:53pm

BURN THE FLOOR info.

Performances begin September 14 with shows scheduled for Sunday - Thursday at 7 p.m. with additional shows Monday, Wednesday and Thursday at 9:30 p.m. and Sunday at 4 p.m. Burn The Floor® is dark Friday and Saturday.

Tickets are on sale now and are priced at $41 and $29 plus tax and handling fees. Tickets for Burn The Floor® can be purchased at the Luxor Box Office and all Ticketmaster outlets. To charge by phone call the Luxor Box Office at (800) 557-7428 or (702) 262-4400 or Ticketmaster at (702) 474-4000. To order online visit http://www.Luxor.com, http://www.Ticketmaster.com

I had $82 seats in the middle balcony of Phantom and it was great. We only have two Broadway shows playing in Las Vegas right now. The "Folies" is a fun show and it is reasnoably priced also.

Cirque shows are not theatre shows. :) You should check http://vegas.com for what is playing and they give a description and you can buy tickets for any show in town.

We have a ticket discount booth, but not every show is at that booth. You buy the tickets same day.

If you like ABBA Mamma Mia! is good here. I have not seen it since it opened, but it was fun.

BTW to the person that mentioned Barry Manilow he is not performing as far as I know he just had hip replacement surgery.

Yours,

Carolyn
Updated On: 9/13/06 at 08:53 PM

boxers7 Profile Photo
boxers7
#20re: Anything good playing in Vegas these days?
Posted: 9/13/06 at 9:33pm

I believe Mamma Mia is the exact same show that is running in New Yoek, so I would avoid it in Vegas when there are so many different shows.

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#21re: Anything good playing in Vegas these days?
Posted: 9/13/06 at 10:24pm

Mamma Mia! is a great show to see there. Also, the new Beatles one is supposed to be really cool as well. And of course, there's the Phantom Spectacular.

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

roseaddams Profile Photo
roseaddams
#22re: Anything good playing in Vegas these days?
Posted: 9/13/06 at 10:28pm

Penn and Teller are amazing.

"You mean what was the best picture of the year or what did they pick as the best picture of the year?" - California Suite

TenThousandThings Profile Photo
TenThousandThings
#23re: Anything good playing in Vegas these days?
Posted: 9/14/06 at 1:28am

I was there a couple of weeks ago and saw Penn & Teller (AMAZING -- so intelligent!), Ka (loved it beyond words) and the Folies Bergeres (never laughed so hard in my life. Topless girls dancing with guys in turtlenecks and a bad Emcee.).

I've heard great things about all the Cirque shows except Zumanity.

Have fun!

Rotel1026
#24re: Anything good playing in Vegas these days?
Posted: 9/14/06 at 1:39am

I was just in Vegas at the end of July and saw a couple of Cirque shows. I've now seen all 5 Cirque shows running in Vegas and I say you can't go wrong with any of their shows. Ka definitely has it's detractors, it is more about spectacle and the technology (stage) tends to overshadow the performers. The plot is a bit of a mess but Cirque has never been about plots. O is awesome with great music. LOVE was alright, not really my thing but I think it's best for people who are already Beatles fans. Also, that's one Cirque show you don't have to spring for expensive seats since your view is probably just as good in the balcony. As someone else mentioned, there is something that happens that involves the lower level seats but there's still something for the balcony seats to see. I'd venture to say that effect actually is better viewed in the balcony.

Otherwise, they also have Blue Man group. As far as broadway in Vegas, the only shows currently in Vegas are Phantom and Mamma Mia. Phantom is the 90 minute special effects heavy version, not sure if it's worthwile. Also, Mamma Mia is the full show with intermission so you really can skip it if it's coming on tour near you anytime soon and just catch it there. I saw the touring cast and it's a great talented cast.

Videos