pixeltracker

Movies that would be awesome shows...

Movies that would be awesome shows...

Lizzya9
#0Movies that would be awesome shows...
Posted: 10/18/06 at 8:58pm

What animated films (that are already musicals) do you think would be amazing on the Broadway stage!?
I'm going to have to go with:

Alice in Wonderland
Peter Pan (Disney version)
Aladdin
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Hercules
Anastasia

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#1re: Movies that would be awesome shows...
Posted: 10/18/06 at 9:01pm

I think THE IRON GIANT can be musicalized and make for a great stage show!

Disney's Peter Pan?? Ummmm...no. Half the songs aren't even sung by the characters...

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Lizzya9
#2re: Movies that would be awesome shows...
Posted: 10/18/06 at 9:14pm

actually you're right. the original stage Peter Pan is much more Broadway. I haven't really seen the Disney one in a while so I am clueless to the songs...

broadwayguy2
#3re: Movies that would be awesome shows...
Posted: 10/18/06 at 9:20pm

Hunchback has already been done and it is tragic that it won't be seen here. VERY tragic

Josephine2 Profile Photo
Josephine2
#4re: Movies that would be awesome shows...
Posted: 10/18/06 at 9:27pm

Definitely "The Brave Little Toaster" or part of the "Veggie Tales" saga...

Okay, seriously, I agree with "Anastasia." The movie even had animated dance sequences.

Julian2
#5re: Movies that would be awesome shows...
Posted: 10/18/06 at 9:29pm

I second Aladdin, I would love to see this as a full stage show. If they decide to do it soon enought, Menken could have three shows on B-way simultaniuosly.

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#6re: Movies that would be awesome shows...
Posted: 10/18/06 at 9:29pm

I would love to see The Incredibles as a play. Just to see how the action, explosions, etc could be done on stage.

Lizzya9
#7re: Movies that would be awesome shows...
Posted: 10/18/06 at 9:55pm

Totally. "Paris Holds the Key" from Anastasia would be something really spectacular on stage. the sets might be a bit "Victor/Victoria"-ish. And "Learn To Do It"... jeez I am getting excited! LOL They better do it!

Lizzya9
#8re: Movies that would be awesome shows...
Posted: 10/18/06 at 9:59pm

Has anyone seen the direct-to-video Disney sequel "Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas"?? It's actually a really good movie, although it doesn't come near the quality of the first. I think that would be cool on stage, the music is good...but it's probably last on Disney's list since it was direct-to-video.

ICEcreamAssassin Profile Photo
ICEcreamAssassin
#9re: Movies that would be awesome shows...
Posted: 10/18/06 at 10:02pm

awwww i wish we could see hunchbak here.. fly to germany.. then at least you can catch Dance of the vampires! Aladdin has been robbed into a 1hr theme park musical which kinda sucks.. but I think anastasia would be a great.. I second the brave little toaster.. god i love that movie!!

pants2 Profile Photo
pants2
#10re: Movies that would be awesome shows...
Posted: 10/18/06 at 10:07pm

pocahontas

Can, can I have it?

jess20882 Profile Photo
jess20882
#11re: Movies that would be awesome shows...
Posted: 10/19/06 at 1:43am

i just watched disney's 'the sword in the stone' with one of my little cousins. i think it would make a really interesting musical!

ICEcreamAssassin Profile Photo
ICEcreamAssassin
#12re: Movies that would be awesome shows...
Posted: 10/19/06 at 4:12am

pocahontas would be great.. just spray some bronzer on judy kuhn.. and we're on! :)

bwaybound865 Profile Photo
bwaybound865
#13re: Movies that would be awesome shows...
Posted: 10/19/06 at 7:38am

It's not a musical but I think that Big Fish could be made into an awesome stage show if done right, but Anastasia would be awesome too, Disney should just do it since most everyone thinks it's a Disney movie anyway.

ErinDillyFan Profile Photo
ErinDillyFan
#14re: Movies that would be awesome shows...
Posted: 10/19/06 at 8:53am

There are actually musical stage versions of these books already:
Alice in Wonderland (this was filmed with Meryl Streep, Debbie Allen, Mark Linn-Baker, and Michael Jeter)
Aladdin (Disney has licensed this)
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Notre-Dame de Paris)

I think "Under the Tuscan sun" would make a great musical. It may remind people too much of "I hear a waltz"

Edit: I am sorry I didn't read your first sentence, closely enough. Updated On: 10/19/06 at 08:53 AM

avab802 Profile Photo
avab802
#15re: Movies that would be awesome shows...
Posted: 10/19/06 at 9:26am

A friend of mine in college said his goal was to turn The Nightmare Before Christmas into a stage show. I hope he does it someday, I think it would be awesome.

RevolutionaryCostume Profile Photo
RevolutionaryCostume
#16re: Movies that would be awesome shows...
Posted: 10/19/06 at 10:30am

All That Jazz!

~Jacob.

worrell4077
#17re: Movies that would be awesome shows...
Posted: 10/19/06 at 3:04pm

The Nightmare Before Christmas

Corpse Bride

Over The Hedge

Colle
#18re: Movies that would be awesome shows...
Posted: 10/19/06 at 3:24pm

"Aladdin"
"Mulan"

One movie that has not been mentioned yet, that I think has the potential to be a great show is "An American Tail."

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#19re: Movies that would be awesome shows...
Posted: 10/19/06 at 3:58pm

Supposedly, the German production of HUNCHBACK is indeed coming to NY, either in 2007 or 2008.

ALLADIN is already a stage performance at Disney World -- it doesnt translate well, sadly.

If we MUST restrain ourselves to animated films (Lord, didnt people learn enough from TARZAN?), I'd opt for HERCULES, but I doubt Disney would go for a show about the lunacy of marketing. Seems somewhat counter to their basic business philosophy. Still, I think it's a natural and would be a howl.

http://docandraider.com

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#20re: Movies that would be awesome shows...
Posted: 10/19/06 at 4:03pm

MOULIN ROUGE- *HUGE* potential with the right people behind it.

DIRTY DANCING- Talk about great source material. I know there is a version out there.

WILLY WANKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

SorryGrateful
#21re: Movies that would be awesome shows...
Posted: 10/19/06 at 4:07pm

NONE! Let's think of some original ideas so that something that isn't already known front and back is up on the stage.

You promised me poems. ~Tricky

WalkOn
#22re: Movies that would be awesome shows...
Posted: 10/19/06 at 4:11pm

DAS BOOT

Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart; and you'll never walk alone.

achancetofly Profile Photo
achancetofly
#23re: Movies that would be awesome shows...
Posted: 10/19/06 at 4:13pm

Yeah, I'm seconding SorryGrateful's sentiments.

I'm sick of movie musicals. It was fine when there were a few, sparse, wonderfully presented ones.

But now it's getting out of hand, and that's ALL we're seeing now.

I'm getting bored.

"Cages or wings, which do you prefer?"-- Tick, Tick...BOOM!

WalkOn
#24re: Movies that would be awesome shows...
Posted: 10/19/06 at 4:23pm

HOWARD THE DUCK

Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart; and you'll never walk alone.

Videos