News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Who is your favorite Cosette in Les Miserables?

Who is your favorite Cosette in Les Miserables?

bwaylvsong
#0Who is your favorite Cosette in Les Miserables?
Posted: 10/29/06 at 5:35pm

I know many of you have seen the show numerous times, and I'd like to know who you thought was the best (Adult) Cosette and why.

Kitzarina Profile Photo
Kitzarina
#1re: Who is your favorite Cosette in Les Miserables?
Posted: 10/29/06 at 5:40pm

For me, Cosette has always been the character in Les Miz who is the palest adaptation of her character in the novel. In Hugo's novel, Cosette is an innocent, charming young girl who is on the verge of womanhood--utterly lovely in every way. In the musical, Cosette comes across (at least to me) as a bird brained half-character who serves little purpose at all.

That said, the material presented is so weak, there's not much hope for an actress to really do much with the role than stand there and look/sound pretty. Rebecca Caine on the OLC and Judy Kuhn on the OBC probably come the closest of making me care for Cosette. The best I can explain is that they actually attempt to show motivation for the character--Kuhn provides emotional dimension and heart to the character. Caine evokes the loveliness of the girl-woman from the novel.

As for the Cosettes I've seen, none of them stand out to me. None was any better or any worse than the other. As long as you can stay on pitch and not sound too shrill, you've done an acceptable job.

"You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" --Family Guy

"Shut up! It's been 29 years!!!" --the incomparable Patti LuPone in her MUCH DESERVED Tony acceptance speech for Gypsy.

Kitzy's Avatar du Jour: Kitzy as Little Red Ridinghood in her college's production of "Into the Woods"

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#2re: Who is your favorite Cosette in Les Miserables?
Posted: 10/29/06 at 5:41pm

Ali Ewoldt, Ashley Jarrett, and Leslie Henstock.

I've never really seen a bad Cosette.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

bwaylvsong
#3re: Who is your favorite Cosette in Les Miserables?
Posted: 10/29/06 at 5:44pm

What about Ali made the producers decide to bring her Cosette to Broadway? Was she significantly different than the others?

LizzieCurry
#4re: Who is your favorite Cosette in Les Miserables?
Posted: 10/29/06 at 5:46pm

Why, are you bitter?

bwaylvsong
#5re: Who is your favorite Cosette in Les Miserables?
Posted: 10/29/06 at 5:49pm

No, not at all. I just want to know if she has a different interpretation of the role. I've only seen Les Mis once (twice if you count at my school), and I don't recall caring for the Cosette at all.

It's just that there are so many people who could do the role. I just wanted to know if she was amazing re: Who is your favorite Cosette in Les Miserables?.

theminutepast
#6re: Who is your favorite Cosette in Les Miserables?
Posted: 10/29/06 at 6:05pm

I wasn't particularly impressed by Ali's Cosette. All the Cosettes kind of blend into one for me, so I didn't notice anything different. She does have a very pretty voice, though.

theminutepast
#7re: Who is your favorite Cosette in Les Miserables?
Posted: 10/29/06 at 6:06pm

Oh--if it matters, I saw her on the tour, not in previews. Her interpretation may have changed since then.
Updated On: 10/29/06 at 06:06 PM

LizzieCurry
#8re: Who is your favorite Cosette in Les Miserables?
Posted: 10/29/06 at 6:09pm

I don't think she's amazing, but her Cosette is very sweet and headstrong -- something the other two I mentioned also were.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if part of the reason she was cast was to accentuate the ethnic diversity of the revival (and I'm Asian, FWIW).

javertim
#9re: Who is your favorite Cosette in Les Miserables?
Posted: 10/29/06 at 6:32pm

Hrm ... I have a few favorites, but my all-around favorite is the lovely Sandra Turley. She was meek at first but seemed to gain a backbone as time went on, and her voice is absolutely liltingly lovely. I was a really big fan of Leslie Henstock when I first saw her, but as time went by, she seemed to lose the wonderful high notes she had in the beginning. Ali Ewoldt is one of the highlights of the current revival cast, IMO. My old-time favorite is Regan Thiel who was the most lively Cosette I've ever seen. And "Honorable Mention" goes to Heather Ferguson and Rena Strober.

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#10re: Who is your favorite Cosette in Les Miserables?
Posted: 10/29/06 at 6:46pm

Based on the English recordings I would say Judy Kuhn. She just presents the most emotional and vocal depth of any Cosette.

Isabella2
#11re: Who is your favorite Cosette in Les Miserables?
Posted: 10/29/06 at 6:51pm

i've never seen les miz before but i love "castle on a cloud" or whatever it's called. Updated On: 10/29/06 at 06:51 PM

Kitzarina Profile Photo
Kitzarina
#12re: Who is your favorite Cosette in Les Miserables?
Posted: 10/29/06 at 6:52pm

The song is called "Castle on a Cloud."

"You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" --Family Guy

"Shut up! It's been 29 years!!!" --the incomparable Patti LuPone in her MUCH DESERVED Tony acceptance speech for Gypsy.

Kitzy's Avatar du Jour: Kitzy as Little Red Ridinghood in her college's production of "Into the Woods"

COOOOLkid
#13re: Who is your favorite Cosette in Les Miserables?
Posted: 10/29/06 at 6:59pm

^ Little Cosette sings Castle on a Cloud

I felt nothing about Cosette's performance when I saw it. IF she had a solo, then I'm sure I would've cared more about her as a character, but I feel like Cosette's unnecessary naive character.

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

LizzieCurry
#14re: Who is your favorite Cosette in Les Miserables?
Posted: 10/29/06 at 7:07pm

She had a solo in the Barbican production ("I Saw Him Once;" you can hear it on the OLC cast recording), but it slowed the show down.

I like the character, but, like Enjolras, she doesn't need a solo.

Kitzarina Profile Photo
Kitzarina
#15re: Who is your favorite Cosette in Les Miserables?
Posted: 10/29/06 at 7:23pm

I actually deeply enjoy "I Saw Him Once." I like it better than the recitative of "In My Life" that Cosette sings before Valjean comes in. It just seems more faithful to the character in the novel.

If you want a song from the OLC that slowed the song down, might I suggest "Little People"?

popculture37
#16re: Who is your favorite Cosette in Les Miserables?
Posted: 10/29/06 at 8:49pm

javertim, I loved Sandra Turley as Cosette. She has a beautiful voice, and she was so much more exciting than most actresses who play the part. She also had a playful sense of humor which is essential to the role and something that many actresses don't do.
I actually think Cosette is the most underrated character in the show. When played properly, she can be breathtaking, its just that many actresses seem to play her in exactly the same way so it gets boring.

Broadway Matt Profile Photo
Broadway Matt
#17re: Who is your favorite Cosette in Les Miserables?
Posted: 10/29/06 at 10:52pm

that's hard because it's one of those thankless roles like Raoul in POTO, but to an even greater degree. regardless of the authors' intentions, not many people are willing to sympathize with adult Cosette because of their Eponine fetish. it's also a soprano vocal part that can be very grating when not sung properly. I've seen a number of different people perform the role, but the only one I really loved was Christeena Michelle Riggs. There was another gal on tour who was really good too, but all I remember is that she was Mormon as well. I don't know why but it's one of those odd cultural trends. Mormons make good Cosettes, the same as Canadians make the best Rogers in RENT.

"The last train out of any station will not be full of nice guys." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"I wash my face, then drink beer, then I weep. Say a prayer and induce insincere self-abuse, till I'm fast asleep"- In Trousers

#18re: Who is your favorite Cosette in Les Miserables?
Posted: 10/29/06 at 11:09pm

Ah, Christeena, yes. LOVED her. By far the prettiest Cosette ever as well. I also like Regan Theil a lot (it was also interesting having a blond Cosette). Stephanie Likes (a u/s from the tour back in 97-ish) was also very good.

TLKfan Profile Photo
TLKfan
#19re: Who is your favorite Cosette in Les Miserables?
Posted: 10/29/06 at 11:11pm

I've basically disliked every Cosette I've seen, except Leslie Henstock. I at least enjoyed her voice and her stage presence.

I too enjoy "I saw him one" from the CD, it's nice.

2008 European Tour
London: Les Mis, Lion King, Sound of Music, Joseph, Hairspray, Billy Elliot
France: Le Roi Lion, Cabaret
Germany: Der Konig der Lowen
Holland: Tarzan & Les Mis

CompletlyNakedStatue Profile Photo
CompletlyNakedStatue
#20re: Who is your favorite Cosette in Les Miserables?
Posted: 10/30/06 at 8:26am

More votes for Christeena Michelle Riggs and Regan Thiel. Regan was the only Cosette who ever made me laugh... in a good way, at least!

JLY's Jersey Gal Profile Photo
JLY's Jersey Gal
#21re: Who is your favorite Cosette in Les Miserables?
Posted: 10/30/06 at 9:18am

Judy Kuhn. The original Broadway Cosette. No if's ,and ,or buts about it.

"Awww! Boo!"

WhoCouldBeBlue Profile Photo
WhoCouldBeBlue
#22re: Who is your favorite Cosette in Les Miserables?
Posted: 10/30/06 at 9:42am

Judy Kuhn!

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#23re: Who is your favorite Cosette in Les Miserables?
Posted: 10/30/06 at 9:48am

Debbie, excuse me Deborah Gibson without a doubt.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

LizzieCurry
#24re: Who is your favorite Cosette in Les Miserables?
Posted: 10/30/06 at 9:52am

Debbie, excuse me Deborah Gibson without a doubt.

She played Eponine...
http://www.broadwaylesmis.com/actors.asp?id=136

Videos