Florence Klotz has Died.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#0Florence Klotz has Died.
Posted: 11/2/06 at 1:51pm

What an amazing talent.
The Theatre will be at a great loss without her.
Love to Family and Friends.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#1re: Florence Klotz has Died.
Posted: 11/2/06 at 1:53pm

Very sad news.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#2re: Florence Klotz has Died.
Posted: 11/2/06 at 1:55pm

We'll miss you Flossie! re: Florence Klotz has Died.

"It's not so much do what you like, as it is that you like what you do." SS

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." GMarx

Yankeefan007
Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#4re: Florence Klotz has Died.
Posted: 11/2/06 at 1:57pm

God Bless her. She was a trip.

Ciaron McCarthy
#5re: Florence Klotz has Died.
Posted: 11/2/06 at 1:57pm

Another one of the Follies family is gone =(

WOSQ
#6re: Florence Klotz has Died.
Posted: 11/2/06 at 2:16pm

Her other half was the late Ruth Mitchell who was Hal Prince's right hand for decades.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#7re: Florence Klotz has Died.
Posted: 11/2/06 at 3:01pm

She was an amazing designer whose work I will always remember.

Akiva

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#8re: Florence Klotz has Died.
Posted: 11/2/06 at 3:38pm

I loved her costumes from Showboat. I vividly remember the fashion show midway through Act II, to depict the passage of time.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#9re: Florence Klotz has Died.
Posted: 11/2/06 at 4:02pm

Those of us who saw the original Follies will never forget the gasp-inducing beauty of those costumes, especially the ghosts in more shades of gray than you knew existed. Then the grand old ladies paraded out, each one in an outfit that instantly defined their characters. And then, just when it was all getting a little too tense and claustrophobic, the thrilling colors of Loveland...

Her artistry and that of Boris Aronson were every bit as brilliant as was the staging of Hal Prince and Michael Bennett. Their collaborative work on that production remains the high-water-mark for theatrical achievement in my lifetime.

But mostly what I'm remembering now--and smiling at--is the wonderful image of Flossie and Ruthie in their mink coats. They were two VERY classy broads.

WOSQ
#10re: Florence Klotz has Died.
Posted: 11/2/06 at 4:44pm

My favorite costume that she designed and indeed one of my all-time favorites ever, was Patricia Elliot's brown number in the first act of Night Music.

While she stood, the costume was a period dress, but when she sat it almost magically became pants.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

JohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
#11re: Florence Klotz has Died.
Posted: 11/2/06 at 4:55pm

Her costumes, were one of the absolute highlights of the original production of FOLLIES, no question about that!

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#12re: Florence Klotz has Died.
Posted: 11/2/06 at 5:03pm

My favorite costume of hers is Glynis Johns red dress in A Little Night Music. Arguably (though for me there's no competition against her) the best costume designer in musical theatre history. Rest in Piece, Flossie.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#13re: Florence Klotz has Died.
Posted: 11/2/06 at 5:33pm

re: Florence Klotz has Died.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#14re: Florence Klotz has Died.
Posted: 11/2/06 at 6:05pm

Another great one is gone

Poster Emeritus

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#15re: Florence Klotz has Died.
Posted: 11/2/06 at 6:31pm

What an absolute shame. Her wonderful designs and her wonderful person (well, I never met her, but she seemed nice from Everything Was Possible) will be missed.

Oscar Jaffee Profile Photo
Oscar Jaffee
#16re: Florence Klotz has Died.
Posted: 11/2/06 at 8:28pm

I just read about her death on Playbill.com and was deeply saddened. I'm also disappointed that her passing didn't get higher priority on Playbill and other theatre Web sites. I had to scroll down a bit before I saw it. She was a legend and deserved better.

padraic
#17re: Florence Klotz has Died.
Posted: 11/7/06 at 12:53pm

Hey Oscar . . . couldn't agree with you more . . . I can't believe how "little notice" her passing received. I totally missed hearing about her death until today (Nov. 7th!!!!) . . . like yourself, I had to "search" to read about her. . . and as you said, "She deserved better."

#18re: Florence Klotz has Died.
Posted: 11/8/06 at 9:02am

There wasn't even a mention in Women's Wear Daily!