pixeltracker

confusion about the new Tarzan posters

confusion about the new Tarzan posters

Theatreboy33 Profile Photo
Theatreboy33
#0confusion about the new Tarzan posters
Posted: 11/2/06 at 4:13pm

Around my appartment, new Tarzan posters have been going up everywhere featuring Joh Strickland's Tarzan bust decked out in a top hat and tuxedo. The whole thing seems very weird to me considering that isn't the whole point of the Tarzan story to tell the tale of a man who refuses to be civilized and wear things like a tuxedo and a top hat? It seems a bit counterproductive to seemingly show a tamed, civilized Tarzan. Anyone else a bit confused by the new posters?

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#1re: confusion about the new Tarzan posters
Posted: 11/2/06 at 4:16pm

That's how the TV commercials are, too. They're weird.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#2re: confusion about the new Tarzan posters
Posted: 11/2/06 at 4:23pm

POST A PICTURE!!!

pharmer2000 Profile Photo
pharmer2000
#3re: confusion about the new Tarzan posters
Posted: 11/2/06 at 4:25pm

I am a big Tarzan fan, but I do not care too much for the new advertising campaign either. Although it is a bit confusing, I think they are trying the "two worlds, one family" angle.

WOSQ
#4re: confusion about the new Tarzan posters
Posted: 11/2/06 at 4:35pm

I don't think they will sell a dime's worth of tickets.

Put the lad on a vine in a loincloth. We all know that $ex $ells.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

#5re: confusion about the new Tarzan posters
Posted: 11/2/06 at 4:42pm

In the program for TARZAN, they include that picture to show that Jane and her surrondings are changing Tarzan, its also shown in the show, that he dresses in a tux and tails to please her only to realize that he'll never fit in with them.

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#6re: confusion about the new Tarzan posters
Posted: 11/2/06 at 4:46pm

POST A PICTURE. I AM DYING TO SEE THIS!

Julian2
#7re: confusion about the new Tarzan posters
Posted: 11/2/06 at 5:22pm

Ditto

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!

neddyfrank2
#8re: confusion about the new Tarzan posters
Posted: 11/2/06 at 5:25pm

Picture!!!

JustABroadwaybaby2
#9re: confusion about the new Tarzan posters
Posted: 11/2/06 at 5:32pm

He looks so solemn, but every day I get to wave at one of the posters and say "Hey, Joshy!"
I don't really liek it either, but at least it's better than the green backround with the little white cartoon. That bored me.
He looks better when he smiles, though!
You don't really need a picture. if you've seen the beginning of the commercial, it's that.
THe commercial can be found on Site Voldemort..you know who.

"I'm thinking about how if you took the W in answer, and the H in ghost, and the extra A in aardvark, and the T in listen, you could keep saying WHAT but no one would ever hear you because the whole word would be silent." Please support BC/EFA at goodsearch.com! Search for anything, and your charity will get a cent!

TheMecca
#10re: confusion about the new Tarzan posters
Posted: 11/2/06 at 6:35pm

I've seen the new paper ads.
They look really, really ridiculous.

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#11re: confusion about the new Tarzan posters
Posted: 11/2/06 at 6:52pm

re: confusion about the new Tarzan posters

The ads are terrible. Too bad Travis Fimmel wasn't available. Now that's what I call Tarzan!

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

mrs felciano
#12re: confusion about the new Tarzan posters
Posted: 11/2/06 at 7:35pm

My friend wrote to Josh and received a picture of him that is used for the ads. I too think it is odd.

Mattbrain
#13re: confusion about the new Tarzan posters
Posted: 11/2/06 at 7:39pm

I've seen the commercial and Joshy boy looks like a refugee from Lestat.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#14re: confusion about the new Tarzan posters
Posted: 11/3/06 at 10:59am

I like the new photos and ads. I think it is sexier, darker, and more visually appealing than the generic Tarzan caricature swinging on a vine. I just don't know how long Josh will be there. They will need to change the ads everytime a new guy takes over.

For those of you wanting to see go to the disneyonbroadway site.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#15re: confusion about the new Tarzan posters
Posted: 11/3/06 at 11:09am

I totally agree, Betty.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

MistressoftheHouse
#16re: confusion about the new Tarzan posters
Posted: 11/3/06 at 12:29pm

Betty, where on the disneyonbroadway site? I'm there and see the old logo everywhere.

Avatar credit goes to _shiksagoddess_ on livejournal.com.

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#17re: confusion about the new Tarzan posters
Posted: 11/3/06 at 1:53pm

Interesting Betty. I was discussing the reasons for this apperance in the commercial, and apparently the reason they did that is because to the person who hasn't seen the show he comes across as sexier. I didn't agree, but I guess it's good if someone else sees it. Hope it helps to sell tickets. Such a fun show.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

.LittleWing. 0224 Profile Photo
.LittleWing. 0224
#18re: confusion about the new Tarzan posters
Posted: 11/3/06 at 2:00pm

walk by 57th and 9th to see what they look like.

i agree. sexy, intriguing. appeals more to adults. still take advantage of the 'tarzan' title treatment with him swinging as the 'z'. a different approach than the striking green, but still effective. maybe.... and this is just a shot in the dark.... the press office is trying to *gasp* reach a new demographic. shocking

RentBoy86
#19re: confusion about the new Tarzan posters
Posted: 11/3/06 at 2:57pm

I wish the show and music followed the ad campaigns. Darker and sexier is always better. This show had a lot of potential, but I think Disney went..to, well, um...Disney with it.

JustABroadwaybaby2
#20re: confusion about the new Tarzan posters
Posted: 11/3/06 at 6:01pm

Or walk by West 70th Street and walk down Amsterdam.
I think even though Tarzan is seen as sexier, it's not truly about him being a man.What is that poster, Phantom2? It's not the one I've seen.

"I'm thinking about how if you took the W in answer, and the H in ghost, and the extra A in aardvark, and the T in listen, you could keep saying WHAT but no one would ever hear you because the whole word would be silent." Please support BC/EFA at goodsearch.com! Search for anything, and your charity will get a cent!

TabooWickedFan Profile Photo
TabooWickedFan
#21re: confusion about the new Tarzan posters
Posted: 11/3/06 at 7:21pm

mrs felciano do you happen to know how long it took your friend to get the photo back from Josh after writing him? Thanks so much, I wrote him and wondered how long it would take. Thank you!!

"But I relish every brillant inspired moment. This is who I'm determined to be- an actor/singer/dancer-no, I take that back, this is who I am. These people are my tribe, my destiny. I know it. -How I Paid for College; A story of sex, theft, friendship and musical theater.

Videos