pixeltracker

Have you ever walked out of a show? Or seen others walk out?- Page 3

Have you ever walked out of a show? Or seen others walk out?

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#50re: Have you ever walked out of a show? Or seen others walk out?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 2:01pm

I would have left at intermission when I saw the Chicago tour a couple years ago but I was with a group of friends. I thought it was just horrible.

One of the times I saw Lord of the Rings, about 1/3 of the balcony didn't return after the 3rd intermission. I don't know if they thought the show was over already or not.

incupsofcoffee
#51re: Have you ever walked out of a show? Or seen others walk out?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 2:04pm

My mom and I walked out of "Falsettos" in Boston. Granted, I didn't see the second act, but the first contained the worst writing that I have ever heard in my life. Wow.

qwerty2
#52re: Have you ever walked out of a show? Or seen others walk out?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 2:16pm

A few people left Wicked and Lion King in Philadelphia at intermission. A few of them had little kids, which is understandable. I rather have them go home than have a screaming child in the theater.

Someone I know ushers at the Merriam. One night, during The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, after Logainne's rant (She was talking about Congressman Mark Foley's career.), one man walked out, stopped by Michael Zahler (Who was in his brown Carl Dad outfit at the back of the house), and said something along the lines of "This is a horrible show", tore his Playbill in half, handed it to Michael, and left.

Atrias Profile Photo
Atrias
#53re: Have you ever walked out of a show? Or seen others walk out?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 2:18pm

The two women sitting next to me at the Arena Stage production of Cabaret left at intermission. I didn't mind, their seats were better than mine. re: Have you ever walked out of a show? Or seen others walk out?

musicaltheater1 Profile Photo
musicaltheater1
#54re: Have you ever walked out of a show? Or seen others walk out?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 2:33pm

We walked out of the world premiere of "Street Car Named Desire" opera. It was terrible...especially when the tenor was singing "where is the bathroom....where is the bathroom?" in a classic opera style. We couldn't stop laughing so we left at the 1st intermission. Note that there were 2 intermissions for that 3.5-hour production.

We were tempted to walk out of "The Producers" when Steven Weber took over the role. We stayed because we paid $400 for 2 tickets.

We were also tempted to walk out of "Dracula" if it wasn't for the visual effects and stage design.

"I love acting. It is so much more real than life." Oscar Wilde
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Huxley
Updated On: 11/5/06 at 02:33 PM

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#55re: Have you ever walked out of a show? Or seen others walk out?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 2:38pm

I've seen hundreds of shows over the last 35+ years. If I'm not having a good time, I'm out...

I recently walked out of Heartbreak House. Was tempted to leave during Butley, but I love the play, so I stayed just to hear the words again. I made it through the Les Miz revival, but RAN out as soon as the lights dimmed for the curtain call.

There have been others, but not too many over the years. I personally don't think it rude, as long as you don't disrupt other peoples' enjoyment.

"It's not so much do what you like, as it is that you like what you do." SS

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." GMarx
Updated On: 11/5/06 at 02:38 PM

HumATune Profile Photo
HumATune
#56re: Have you ever walked out of a show? Or seen others walk out?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 2:53pm

I walked out of a college production of Hair at intermission. I'm not sure if it was because the production was bad or because it wasn’t "my" type of show.

ICEcreamAssassin Profile Photo
ICEcreamAssassin
#57re: Have you ever walked out of a show? Or seen others walk out?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 2:55pm

So Ring of Fire was that awful? so many of you guys keep saying the same thing. At some point we need to move on from the jukebox musical. Its obvious 'Times' is having its share of troubles too.

tobiasragg- Black Rider was one of the hardest musicals to swallow. I can see why people were leaving. It must really go over well in Germany.. :)

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#58re: Have you ever walked out of a show? Or seen others walk out?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 3:40pm

I saw a guy walk out of Lestat (in SF) just as the finale started. OK, so it was Lestat, so I don't blame him, but if you've sat through that much, you might as well stick it out!

My family and I walked out of an outdoor production of Man of La Mancha once about 7 - 8 years ago. Dreadful, and the fog was coming in. And we were cold and definitely not enjoying ourselves.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Ciaron McCarthy
#59re: Have you ever walked out of a show? Or seen others walk out?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 3:41pm

I have walked out on only one show....

BOMBAY DREAMS!!! Hated it. It was much better in London.

PaintWordPictures Profile Photo
PaintWordPictures
#60re: Have you ever walked out of a show? Or seen others walk out?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 3:46pm

I used to be of the opinion that I would never walk out of a show - I just didn't see the point. At least I could critique the show more fully afterwards and know that I for sure, really didn't like it. But my patience was tested during a performance of Best Little Whorehouse in Texas. All my friends thought I was just offended by the content (I wasnt). It was the worst country scream-fest I'd ever seen. I would have left during intermission based on my horrific headache alone.

Unfortunately my friend drove so I had to stay.

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#61re: Have you ever walked out of a show? Or seen others walk out?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 3:51pm

In 55 years of theatregoing on Broadway I have never walked out on a show. This is not to say I haven't felt like doing so at times. I hated STOP THE WORLD--I WANT TO GET OFF(1962) with Anthony Newley (but loved its 1965 sequel THE ROAR OF THE GREASEPAINT--THE SMELL OF THE CROWD,also with Newley).I also hated NICK & NORA(1991) which remains the worst Broadway show I have ever seen. Friends I went with left at intermission; they were smart! The reason I have remained at shows that I haven't liked is because I have always hoped that things might get better in the 2nd Act. In all such cases I have been proven wrong, alas. I do hate the now obligatory standing ovations that greet all curtain calls and refuse to join the crowd if I haven't enjoyed the show or particular performers as was the case with the recent DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS which I found tuneless and boring.

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"
Updated On: 11/5/06 at 03:51 PM

FoscasBohemianDream
#62re: Have you ever walked out of a show? Or seen others walk out?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 3:59pm

I walked out of an extremely tedious and even annoying college production of Vincent in Brixton.
I was close to walking out of Woman in White but thought Maria Friedman was giving a fairly talented performance.

GEA113 Profile Photo
GEA113
#63re: Have you ever walked out of a show? Or seen others walk out?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 5:03pm

I had Standing Room tix for The History Boys and it must have been the first 20 minutes, there were ushers going up and down the stairs behind us to the mezzanine, then eventually, a lady came trudging down the stairs and threw her playbill down on the ground and huffed and puffed her way out of the theatre- not very politely might I add... all during intermission, my friend and i were trying to find her seat. haha

oh, and the lady next to me's cell phone kept on ringing (tho very quietly) and finally she picked it up and was like "can i call you back? why? what happened? uh-huh- uh-huh... oh yeh..well, im in a show" I WANTED TO PUNCH HER IN THE FACE!! if only richard had seen, he would've stopped the show

: D

antiandrewx Profile Photo
antiandrewx
#64re: Have you ever walked out of a show? Or seen others walk out?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 5:08pm

I had to really force myself to not walk out at intermission of Movin' Out.

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#65re: Have you ever walked out of a show? Or seen others walk out?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 5:19pm

"We walked out of the world premiere of "Street Car Named Desire" opera. It was terrible...especially when the tenor was singing "where is the bathroom....where is the bathroom?" in a classic opera style. We couldn't stop laughing so we left at the 1st intermission. Note that there were 2 intermissions for that 3.5-hour production. "

haha I even laughed just reading this re: Have you ever walked out of a show? Or seen others walk out?

actor
#66re: Have you ever walked out of a show? Or seen others walk out?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 5:42pm

A little girl two rows in front of me left with her parents at the very beginning of Wicked - the flying monkeys were making her cry.

stonewall2
#67re: Have you ever walked out of a show? Or seen others walk out?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 5:44pm

My ""ex" got up and insisted on walking out on "Rent". Needless to say, that is one of the reasons why she is my "EX"!

"I'm mad, you're mad. we're all mad"... The Cheshire Cat

Hank
#68re: Have you ever walked out of a show? Or seen others walk out?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 5:51pm

At "Kiki and Herb, Alive on Broadway", quite a few people didn't come back after intermission, and that prompted a comment (not sure if it was ad-lib) from Kiki at the opening of the 2nd act.
Anyway, they got a standing o from most of the remaining audience at the end, a divided audience if ever there was one!

Angel56
#69re: Have you ever walked out of a show? Or seen others walk out?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 5:52pm

I saw FAITH HEALER back in May and I saw at least 6-8 people leave during intermission. 2 people left during the first act. I'm assuming it was due to the the length of the monologues and the lack of "excitement". It's sad that people can't just appreciate the acting. They need constant stimulation and instant gratification.

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#70re: Have you ever walked out of a show? Or seen others walk out?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 6:03pm

I remember the original Sweeney people stormed out in disgust! Sunday and Passions too! The only show of Sondheim's where people didn't leave in droves was Into the Woods.

Now that's sad...

I also remember the original run of HurlyBurly the audience was almost completely empty by the third act each time I saw it!

StephenSondheimWHOO Profile Photo
StephenSondheimWHOO
#71re: Have you ever walked out of a show? Or seen others walk out?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 6:08pm

I really don't understand why people leave at Sunday, it is such as brilliant peice of work, one of somdheims best. I can sort of understand Sweeney becuase of the violence and cannobolism and Passion becuase of the nudity but I just don't understand why people would leave at SITPWG

JustABroadwaybaby2
#72re: Have you ever walked out of a show? Or seen others walk out?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 6:09pm

I was going to walk out of Times..., after hearing all of the negativity swriling around. I entered the theatre and saw that one little sign, predicting my fate: "This show will be performed without an intermission." And so, I stayed and it wasn't that bad.
I walked out of an Off Off Broadway show, but after the first act. I just feel like it's very rude for someone to just leave. Do they not care that an actor will see that? People get paid to perform for them! Why disgrace the actors?

"I'm thinking about how if you took the W in answer, and the H in ghost, and the extra A in aardvark, and the T in listen, you could keep saying WHAT but no one would ever hear you because the whole word would be silent." Please support BC/EFA at goodsearch.com! Search for anything, and your charity will get a cent!

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#73re: Have you ever walked out of a show? Or seen others walk out?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 6:32pm

People walk out of Sondheim shows because they force you to think. Not always what an audience wants to do, unfortunately.

#74re: Have you ever walked out of a show? Or seen others walk out?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 6:41pm

We just left Mimi Le Duck at intermission.