pixeltracker

re: What really makes a show flop?

re: What really makes a show flop?

StephenSondheimWHOO Profile Photo
StephenSondheimWHOO
#1What really makes a show flop?
Posted: 11/18/06 at 10:56pm

What is it that you think makes a show finacially flop? It isn't always quality, We have seen Great shows flop and bad shows become hits. It isn't always spectacle- think of Lestat. Sometimes its not starpower, The Goodbye Girl.

SweetQintheLights
#1re: What really makes a show flop?
Posted: 11/18/06 at 10:57pm

Lack of good Advertising?

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178
Updated On: 11/18/06 at 10:57 PM

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#2re: What really makes a show flop?
Posted: 11/18/06 at 11:00pm

Reviews. And money.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

xbRadxx Profile Photo
xbRadxx
#3re: What really makes a show flop?
Posted: 11/18/06 at 11:06pm

umm when it doesnt make money...?

StephenSondheimWHOO
#4re: What really makes a show flop?
Posted: 11/18/06 at 11:10pm

wowwwwww

SweetQintheLights
#5re: What really makes a show flop?
Posted: 11/18/06 at 11:11pm

why wowwwwww?

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178

nomdeplume
#6re: What really makes a show flop?
Posted: 11/18/06 at 11:12pm

Fish.

StephenSondheimWHOO
#7re: What really makes a show flop?
Posted: 11/18/06 at 11:13pm

Wowww is xbRadxx commment.

ikmbway
#8re: What really makes a show flop?
Posted: 11/18/06 at 11:13pm

Haha! That just made me laugh.

StarStruckGB Profile Photo
StarStruckGB
#9re: What really makes a show flop?
Posted: 11/18/06 at 11:17pm

Skeptical people not buying tickets.
Mostly the producers are worried about financial security.
Why else haven't heard of any Les Mis revival updates in merch sales or extensions or recordings?

Goshen doesn't do High-School-shows.

neddyfrank2
#10re: What really makes a show flop?
Posted: 11/18/06 at 11:17pm

What makes a show a flop?

A bad show!

MargoChanning
#11re: What really makes a show flop?
Posted: 11/18/06 at 11:19pm

Bad word of mouth will ultimately kill a show much faster than bad reviews or bad advertising. Lots of shows with relatively decent reviews have ended up flopping because they had negative word of mouth from regular theatregoers.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

NathanLaneStalker
#12re: What really makes a show flop?
Posted: 11/18/06 at 11:21pm

"Or a bad title even! THAT could kill a show pretty good." - Little Sally - Urinetown

"I'm tellin' you, the only times I really feel the presence of God are when I'm having sex and during a great Broadway musical." - Nathan Lane - Jeffrey

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#13re: What really makes a show flop?
Posted: 11/18/06 at 11:21pm

Well...that's the reality. It takes money to pay all those working on a show -- from the actors, the staff at the theatre, the musicians, etc.

If a show isn't bringing in an audience, it isn't making money to pay all those people.

The quality of a show isn't the factor of why shows flop.

A show needs an audience. It needs to fill-up seats each performance just to make money -- that's 8 times a week! If no money is being made, great show or not, it has to close. Producers put in their own money to bring these shows to Broadway and it's their money that is being lost when no money is being generated.

This is the reality of the business. No money; no show.

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#14re: What really makes a show flop?
Posted: 11/18/06 at 11:32pm

Lemons amd skeletons!

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

StarStruckGB Profile Photo
StarStruckGB
#15re: What really makes a show flop?
Posted: 11/18/06 at 11:35pm

Hm, defyingravity11 makes a good point...

Goshen doesn't do High-School-shows.

ikmbway
#16re: What really makes a show flop?
Posted: 11/18/06 at 11:36pm

defyingravity - haha!! This thread is making me laugh a lot tonight!

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#17re: What really makes a show flop?
Posted: 11/18/06 at 11:43pm

=) but seriously, people can spot most flops even before reviews come out. Lestat didn't have a fair shot because people just don't like musicals about vampires. There are just certain things that don’t appeal to the masses.

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

MargoChanning
#18re: What really makes a show flop?
Posted: 11/18/06 at 11:44pm

"The quality of a show isn't the factor of why shows flop."

That's just not true. There are shows like LESTAT and DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES and IN MY LIFE and HOT FEET where the producers had more money than god, and despite them spending millions on marketing, the shows still flopped and closed early because the word got out to audiences that the show was awful and ticket sales dropped to nothing within weeks.

Shows don't have to be brilliant to survive, but if audiences find out that they're bad AND not even particularly entertaining, they end up closing rather quickly. But, there are plenty of shows that got middling reviews that have been able to survive and thrive because, despite their flaws, they have a story or a score or, most importantly, a STAR (look at what Hugh Jackman was able to do with BOY FROM OZ) that audiences want to see in spite of anything.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

NathanLaneStalker
#19re: What really makes a show flop?
Posted: 11/18/06 at 11:47pm

To much exposition.

"I'm tellin' you, the only times I really feel the presence of God are when I'm having sex and during a great Broadway musical." - Nathan Lane - Jeffrey

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#20re: What really makes a show flop?
Posted: 11/19/06 at 4:14am

And you must also consider the competition... there is a musical or play showing on every corner, a lot of them are already well-known by many (no matter if we believe they are good or bad)...

Why producers think their completely unknown show will just rise to triumph truly bedazzles me - there must be something solid to back it up and there seems to be a few of those producers that have the funds but not the vision or expertise on how to sell their shows.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

JLY's Jersey Gal Profile Photo
JLY's Jersey Gal
#21re: What really makes a show flop?
Posted: 11/19/06 at 9:56am

Orchestras less than a 15 piece one. That's mostly why shows flop, even some of the best! Like the Sweeney Todd revival. *shakes head*

"Awww! Boo!"

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#22re: What really makes a show flop?
Posted: 11/19/06 at 10:09am

Chicago has 13 musicians.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#23re: What really makes a show flop?
Posted: 11/19/06 at 10:09am

ST revival didn't flop . . .

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

Yankeefan007
#24re: What really makes a show flop?
Posted: 11/19/06 at 10:15am

Jersey Boys has a band of about 10.

Videos