Spelling Bee: NYC vs. Boston

hellostar
#1Spelling Bee: NYC vs. Boston
Posted: 12/11/06 at 11:17pm

i've seen 'spelling bee' on broadway but i'm thinking about seeing it in boston...

for those of you who have seen both: is it a good idea to see the boston cast? i don't want to be disappointed; i loved the show when i saw it in new york.

Updated On: 12/11/06 at 11:17 PM

shesamarshmallow
#1re: Spelling Bee: NYC vs. Boston
Posted: 12/11/06 at 11:27pm

They were great in SF!

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

mrs felciano
#2re: Spelling Bee: NYC vs. Boston
Posted: 12/11/06 at 11:36pm

I loved the Boston production. They have cheap $25 seats if you're worried about wasting money. I haven't seen the NYC cast but I really did like the Boston cast.

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#3re: Spelling Bee: NYC vs. Boston
Posted: 12/11/06 at 11:44pm

They are both great! I am extremely partial to the New York cast, but the Boston cast was phenomenal, they were all super nice and I got to chat with almost everyone, and I hope I can see them again!

The NY show I see almost weekly, I love it and recommend it to everyone. This cast has some of my favorite people in it.

You really can't go wrong with either one.

I have also seen the show on Tour, and in Chicago a few times. It's great everywhere!
Updated On: 12/11/06 at 11:44 PM

forgetregret
#4re: Spelling Bee: NYC vs. Boston
Posted: 12/11/06 at 11:45pm

I've seen both and I love both, although in my opinion there's no contest in terms of which cast is better- and that's the OBC. But I still really enjoyed seeing it in Boston and I don't think you'd be disappointed. There are a couple of really strong cast members... Jenni Barber (Olive) and Sara Inbar (Logainne) are my favorites.

ElphabaRose Profile Photo
ElphabaRose
#5re: Spelling Bee: NYC vs. Boston
Posted: 12/12/06 at 12:11am

I've seen it both places and the different casts have their merits. Jared Gertner is by far the best Barfee I've seen and Jenni Barber actually edged out Celia as my favorite Olive.

Whatever happened to class?

misto625 Profile Photo
misto625
#6re: Spelling Bee: NYC vs. Boston
Posted: 12/12/06 at 12:49am

I'm suprised no one has mentioned my personal favorite yet- Stanley Bahorek as Leaf!

Dean: Can I tell you something? Lorraine: That depends on what it is. Dean: I think you're really really pretty. Lorraine: (after a pause) Ok, you can tell me that.

yellibean2
#7re: Spelling Bee: NYC vs. Boston
Posted: 12/15/06 at 4:31pm

it's DEFINITELY a good idea. You have not lived yet if you haven't seen the Boston cast.

And of course, Stanley =D

crzyrocket Profile Photo
crzyrocket
#8re: Spelling Bee: NYC vs. Boston
Posted: 12/16/06 at 12:15am

Bumping this to say that tonight, the speller spelled "cow" wrong.

And where is Betsy Wolfe? She was out tonight. I hope she's well.

"The sense that everything's going right is a sure sense that everything's going wrong." -The Goat, or Who Is Sylvia?

timote316
#9re: Spelling Bee: NYC vs. Boston
Posted: 12/16/06 at 12:18am

She was out last night too. I saw in the casting announcement for the new musical Ace in San Diego that she is in the ensemble... maybe rehearsals for that has begun? I can't say I was terribly impressed with her understudy...

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#10re: Spelling Bee: NYC vs. Boston
Posted: 12/16/06 at 12:25am

How is Elsa Carmona as Rona?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

FinallyAmember
#11re: Spelling Bee: NYC vs. Boston
Posted: 12/16/06 at 1:39am

Persoanlly, I think Rona was great! I loved her voice. She has a great instrument. Sometimes she gave me chills. I can't exactly remember any specific points because I do not know the show that well. She was also funny - which isn't surprising since the show is just THAT good. But it takes talent to deliver it anyways.

EDIT - eek I was commenting on Betsy's performance... I need to read more carefully... however i'll keep this review of her performance just incase anyone cares Updated On: 12/16/06 at 01:39 AM

timote316
#12re: Spelling Bee: NYC vs. Boston
Posted: 12/16/06 at 1:59am

As I said, I wasn't impressed with Elsa. I wouldn't say she was bad, but she was the weakest in the cast. I don't know if she was having an off day or maybe the beginnings of a cold or whatnot, but her voice cracked a few times in the performance. Her comedic timing was also inconsistent.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#13re: Spelling Bee: NYC vs. Boston
Posted: 12/16/06 at 2:16am

Interesting! I saw Elsa as Olive once, and she was fine, but didn't blow me away. A very different Olive than I was used to; really made me curious about her as Rona.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

catharsis Profile Photo
catharsis
#14re: Spelling Bee: NYC vs. Boston
Posted: 12/16/06 at 9:52am

I saw it last night, and I thought Elsa was okay. Although I prefer Betsy Wolfe in the role, Elsa did a good job. However, some of the spellers were taller than her, which seemed a little odd.

The guy spelling "cow" wrong...that was pretty funny. A few of the cast members looked rather amused.

It was a fun night, and I was Marigold. re: Spelling Bee: NYC vs. Boston

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#15re: Spelling Bee: NYC vs. Boston
Posted: 12/16/06 at 10:22am

How did the person spell cow...kow? How can someone get it wrong? Is it rigged for them to spell certain words wrong?

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

catharsis Profile Photo
catharsis
#16re: Spelling Bee: NYC vs. Boston
Posted: 12/16/06 at 10:45am

He started 'cow' with an 'o.' He went "..o..w..C-o-w."

It's not rigged for them to get the real words wrong, but they use fake words to eliminate some of the spellers.

crzyrocket Profile Photo
crzyrocket
#17re: Spelling Bee: NYC vs. Boston
Posted: 12/16/06 at 10:48am

I think the speller was thinking about it too much, he started off with an "o" and then realized his mistake.

Elsa is decent, but I think we've been spoiled by Betsy Wolfe. Elsa's Rona is much more serious and more matronly. I think it plays better having a quirky Rona, who's may be an adult figure, but still has a childish innocence about her. And yes, Betsy Wolfe has a gorgeous, gorgeous voice.

"The sense that everything's going right is a sure sense that everything's going wrong." -The Goat, or Who Is Sylvia?

catharsis Profile Photo
catharsis
#18re: Spelling Bee: NYC vs. Boston
Posted: 12/17/06 at 1:15pm

I just got my ticket for the final performance of the Boston Bee! re: Spelling Bee: NYC vs. Boston

Anyone else going?

yellibean2
#19re: Spelling Bee: NYC vs. Boston
Posted: 12/17/06 at 3:07pm

I'm going. But it still makes me sad just thinking about it. It's been a great three months, but I guess all good things must come to an end. Plus we were lucky to get them for as long as we did (especially compared to the fact that the tour only stays a week in each city).

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#20re: Spelling Bee: NYC vs. Boston
Posted: 12/17/06 at 3:33pm

Have fun. :]

I think they should just transfer the Boston cast to Broadway.

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015

crzyrocket Profile Photo
crzyrocket
#21re: Spelling Bee: NYC vs. Boston
Posted: 12/17/06 at 7:15pm

I'm expecting full reports on the last performance! Can you believe that I, of all people, can't make it?

Last night was my very last time seeing the show. The audience was very energetic, and it was a great show all around. Unfortunately, Betsy Wolfe was still out. Elsa is getting more relaxed as Peretti, so perhaps it was just nerves the beginning of the week.

Videos