Marla Schaffel Love

EganFan2
#1Marla Schaffel Love
Posted: 12/18/06 at 5:40pm

I ran a search, didn't see any thread like this.

I love Marla's voice. I was listening to "Jane Eyre" and just marvelled at how beautiful it was. Sadly, I don't think she's been back to Broadway since "Jane Eyre". I know she was in "The Sound of Music" on tour recently, but that's all I know.

What roles would she be good in? I really would've liked it if she played Mary Poppins.

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#2re: Marla Schaffel Love
Posted: 12/18/06 at 5:40pm

Love her.

Fantine.

joeybiltmore1
#2re: Marla Schaffel Love
Posted: 12/18/06 at 7:38pm

I've got some love right here.

All I kept thinking during "Mary Poppins" was how perfect Ms Schaffel would be in the role.

And now that Christine Ebersole looks sure to deservedly win this year's Tony, can Schaffel have the one she should have won in 2000 or so when Ebersole won for 42nd Street?

Just askin'.

crzyrocket Profile Photo
crzyrocket
#3re: Marla Schaffel Love
Posted: 12/18/06 at 7:44pm

Fourteen years old (the age of crazy teenage obsession), and I was in love with Jane Eyre. I finally got the chance to see the show a week before it closed.

I still remember everything about that day, but what I remember the most was what happened before the performance. I was hanging out by the stage door hoping to get a chance to talk to Marla Schaffel and James Barbour before the show. When Marla came around, a few other people mobbed her for autographs. It was my turn, but she apologized and ran inisde, saying that she needed to save her contact, because it was the only one she had left. I figured no big deal, I'd talk to her after the show.

But lo and behold, ten minutes later, she comes back out the stage door. By then, I had been ready to go inside the theatre. Instead, she seeks me out, and apologizes for leaving so quickly. Signs my cast recording, poses for a photo, all that fangirl stuff, before heading back inside again.

Imagine what that did to a young girl. Never forgot it, even 6 years later.

Anyway, enough memories. She was recently in the York Theater's Carmelina. She also replaced Emily Skinner in Fanny Hill, which I did see. It was a small bit part, but she got to show off her gorgeous voice and her comic skills, which are spot on.

Love her to death, in case you haven't realized yet.

"The sense that everything's going right is a sure sense that everything's going wrong." -The Goat, or Who Is Sylvia?

andyf
#4re: Marla Schaffel Love
Posted: 12/18/06 at 7:47pm

God died in 2001.

Andrew, tonight isn't about you! It isn't even about me!!! - [FD]
Updated On: 12/18/06 at 07:47 PM

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#5re: Marla Schaffel Love
Posted: 12/18/06 at 7:54pm

L'Oops.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler
Updated On: 12/18/06 at 07:54 PM

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#6re: Marla Schaffel Love
Posted: 12/18/06 at 7:54pm

I got to see her in WARRIOR at the NYMF this year. She was fantastic. She sang "Your Daddy's Demons," which was really a haunting, beautiful song.

As for a new role, I would say Fantine as well.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

pair-o-dice
#7re: Marla Schaffel Love
Posted: 12/18/06 at 8:09pm

She would be THE BEST MARY POPPINS EVER. She's perfect. Having seen her do both Sound of Music and My Fair Lady I can say that I don't think any one could do the part more justice than her. She's so sweet but has that little mischivous twinkle in her eye. She's be FLAWLESS.

Also loved her in 'A Broadway Diva Christmas' last year.

Marla's amazing...some one get her back on Broadway ASAP

Julian2
#8re: Marla Schaffel Love
Posted: 12/18/06 at 8:15pm

Being the big fan I am of Jane Eyre, and looking foward to seeing Mary Poppins, I must say I am a humongous fan of Ms. Schaffel, and completely agree that she would be perfect in that role. I can only hope for her future success on Broadway.

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!

Dover
#9re: Marla Schaffel Love
Posted: 12/19/06 at 3:38am

I haven't seen Ebersole's performance in Grey Gardens yet, but I hope she wins just so I don't have to cringe every time people say "Tony Winner Christine Ebersole." By all accounts it sounds like she deserves this one.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#10re: Marla Schaffel Love
Posted: 12/19/06 at 9:44am

Anyone who saw Marla in CARMELINA knows that she has the potential to be one of our great comic actresses, in addition to being a fabulous singer. She needs a new Broadway show now. I agree that she'd be an awesome Fantine (she's done it before). She would also be my first choice for Nancy should an OLIVER! revival ever happen.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#11re: Marla Schaffel Love
Posted: 12/19/06 at 9:56am

Marla was also a fantastic Eliza Dolittle when Cameron was tossing about reviving that. I agree her Mary Poppins would be exceptional and unique! Too bad they didn't go with her (I think she might have read for it).
She's fantastic and really gave depth to Jane that didn't quite exist in the script.

Nick Plasia
#12re: Marla Schaffel Love
Posted: 12/19/06 at 11:34am

Jesus, I heard her at an audition recently--and there
are wheezing milk cows with better pitch...

ashley0139
#13re: Marla Schaffel Love
Posted: 12/19/06 at 12:20pm

I saw her in the SOM tour a couple years ago. She was fabulous.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

SporkGoddess
#14re: Marla Schaffel Love
Posted: 12/19/06 at 12:22pm

The story I heard about her turning down the role of Christine in Phantom (supposedly she said that she didn't want to "sleepwalk through a role") is one of the best things ever, if it's true. re: Marla Schaffel Love

Love her in JE. Her Evita was good, too! I'd kill to hear her sing soprano.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

EganFan2
#15re: Marla Schaffel Love
Posted: 12/20/06 at 6:12pm

>>Jesus, I heard her at an audition recently--and there
are wheezing milk cows with better pitch...

This is a LOVE thread. It's so rude to post something like this in a thread clearly labelled as such.

stonewall2
#16re: Marla Schaffel Love
Posted: 12/20/06 at 7:03pm

She did the national tour of "My Fair Lady" last year and although she had a terrrible cold, she performed beautifully. The one who should have been shot was the costumer who elected to put her in in a sleeveless, very low backed dress for the Embassy Ball and the thing didn't fit (WAY too tight in the back and she hung over the edging). Despite that, Ms.Schaffel stole the scene without so much as a word; all during the "Congratulations, Prof. Higgins" number, she stood with her back to the audience,yet you coudn't take your eyes from her. Every muscle, every fibre of her being radiated pain and anger and you could feel it eminating from her-palpable and real.
She managed to make it through the opening night with tissues hidden allover the stage and in the furniture, but then had to have her understudy take over for a night to recover from the famous colds we pass around here in Rochester. I would love to see her in the proper piece and think it was a shame that she literally "wasted" 10 years of her life while waiting to get "Eyre" on the Broadway stage-meanwhile, we al suffered through the endless stream of ALW garbage instead of gettting to see "Eyre" in it's prime. Also, it was done at the same time as "Ragtime" and the two shows fought it out in Toronto, with Ragtime winning the reviews and acclaim.

"I'm mad, you're mad. we're all mad"... The Cheshire Cat

opiv Profile Photo
opiv
#17re: Marla Schaffel Love
Posted: 12/20/06 at 8:13pm

Marla is awesome. She's my uncle's sister (were not technically related). I got to meet her at my cousin's bar mitzvah over the summer and she's hilarious. Especially when she sings in her drunk/helium voice re: Marla Schaffel Love

"I feel god in this chili's..."

parker russel
#18re: Marla Schaffel Love
Posted: 12/20/06 at 8:15pm

God bless Marla Schaffel. An incredibly gifted actress, a wonderful comedienne, a gorgeous and unique voice, and a sweet person. I LOVE MARLA SCHAFFEL.

She was AWESOME in Carmelina!

dramaqueen2 Profile Photo
dramaqueen2
#19re: Marla Schaffel Love
Posted: 12/20/06 at 10:01pm

schaffel, huh?
that's my best friend's last name.. i wonder if there is any relation? i've never heard it on anyone else until now.. interesting..

hear my song; it was made for the time when you don't know where to go, listen to the song that i sing, you'll be fine..

NCSAcat Profile Photo
NCSAcat
#20re: Marla Schaffel Love
Posted: 12/21/06 at 12:24pm

I saw her in that lovely independant film she did some years back, 'I love you, Don't touch me!' long before I knew her in Jane Eyre, and while I love her musical performances tremendously, her dramatic work is just as rich as her vocal perfomances as far as that film goes, not to mention she has wonderful comic timing for the screen as well as the stage.