pixeltracker

Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King?- Page 2

Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King?

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#25re: Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King?
Posted: 12/27/06 at 1:55pm

No, see THE LION KING. BEAUTY & THE BEAST is an "OK" show. In order of Disney shows, see the following:

AIDA (which is now closed. you missed out!) > THE LION KING > MARY POPPINS > BEAUTY & THE BEAST > TARZAN > ON THE RECORD (never even made it to Broadway, so don't worry about it).

THE LION KING is an experience. BATB is just the movie on stage with new songs. The fact that it is on TKTS and THE LION KING is not says something. When comparing shows, that is not always the case, some shows just don't sell. But both TLK and BATB are equally marketable shows from the same company - Disney. TLK is still selling to over 90% houses and still sells out in advance. BATB is on TKTS every day. And both houses are about the same size.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle
Updated On: 12/27/06 at 01:55 PM

BroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
#26re: Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King?
Posted: 12/27/06 at 2:00pm

Lizzya9 are you seriously nine years old right?

"Passion can drive you crazy but is there any other way to live"

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#27re: Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King?
Posted: 12/27/06 at 2:02pm

CapnHook that is a very accurate list. We need an AIDA revival soon even though it closed two years ago.

renthead333 Profile Photo
renthead333
#28re: Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King?
Posted: 12/27/06 at 2:08pm

You won't be able to get tickets to TLK or Mary Poppins, so I guess your stuck with Beauty and the Beast or Tarzan. Good luck.

anthonycbaron@mac.co Profile Photo
anthonycbaron@mac.co
#29re: Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King?
Posted: 12/27/06 at 2:21pm

Beauty & The Beast...
It's majestic score, entertaining visuals, memorable characters, etc. just outshine Lion King IMO.

Lizzya9
#30re: Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King?
Posted: 12/27/06 at 2:22pm

No I am 14. Just because I like a show doesn't mean you have to be mean about it. I mean, I don't make fun of people that are obsessed with Wicked or Rent, so why should someone make fun of me because I like B&tB? Oh, I know why. People think Disney is for little kids. Well, it's not. OK!

StarStruckGB Profile Photo
StarStruckGB
#31re: Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King?
Posted: 12/27/06 at 2:38pm

I agree with Lizzya9.
If you're too synacle for Disney, well that's you're problem.
And as far as I'm concerned, there are Wicked/Rent fans, and then there are theatre fans.

Go see Beauty & the Beast, hands down.

Goshen doesn't do High-School-shows.

Lizzya9
#32re: Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King?
Posted: 12/27/06 at 3:19pm

Thanks StarStruck! = )

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#33re: Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King?
Posted: 12/27/06 at 3:23pm

Lizzya9, I'm trying to say this nicely as possible, try to appreciate other shoes besides Disney ones and sound a bit more mature about it. I seems as if all you're here for is Disney shows.
Updated On: 12/27/06 at 03:23 PM

MimiLovesRoger Profile Photo
MimiLovesRoger
#34re: Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King?
Posted: 12/27/06 at 3:50pm

You probably have a better chance at getting tix for Beauty...

Lizzya9
#35re: Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King?
Posted: 12/27/06 at 4:13pm

Well the only show I've seen is B&tB so I guess I can say all I've seen is Disney shows - I would like to see Drowsy Chaperone or A Chorus Line but unfortunately I can only go to NY every few years.

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#36re: Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King?
Posted: 12/27/06 at 4:28pm

Skip the Lion Kng, the opening moments are stunning, after that it would be more fun to poke hot pins into both your ears and eyes..

At least you can have a small amount of fun with Beauty, but you would be better renting the DVD for your sister.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#37re: Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King?
Posted: 12/27/06 at 4:47pm

In all honesty - the best advice I can give you is NOT to see a Disney show. You are going to NEW YORK!!! to BROADWAY!! Disney shows tour. Disney shows get performed at regional theatres. SPRING AWAKENING does not.

Here is a list I recommend, in order, according to your situation:

- JERSEY BOYS
- THE COLOR PURPLE
- AVENUE Q
- LES MISERABLES
- THE WEDDING SINGER
- GREY GARDENS!!!
- SPELLING BEE

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Lizzya9
#38re: Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King?
Posted: 12/27/06 at 6:27pm

Disney IS Broadway! I guarantee there are no better shows out right now than Disney shows.

Color and Light
#39re: Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King?
Posted: 12/27/06 at 6:45pm

"Well the only show I've seen is B&tB so I guess I can say all I've seen is Disney shows."

"Disney IS Broadway! I guarantee there are no better shows out right now than Disney shows."

Wait .... what? If you've only seen one Disney show, how can you say that "Disney IS Broadway"? I don't get it.

That being said, to the original poster:

If you have to choose between the two, I'd go with The Lion King. Beauty and the Beast had none of the magic of its source material and the cast looked miserable when I saw it. Granted, I wasn't a huge fan of TLK, and the majority of the new music was terrible, but there are at least some interesting and beautiful artistic choices made with the costumes and staging. BatB is a mind-numbingly literal adaption with a couple of flimsy new songs thrown in.

Stop looking at my charisma.
Updated On: 12/27/06 at 06:45 PM

purpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
#40re: Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King?
Posted: 12/27/06 at 6:45pm

"Disney IS Broadway! I guarantee there are no better shows out right now than Disney shows. "

i like disney but you are so wrong. So many shows are better than disney shows. I like mary poppins but it is not the best show ever. Les miz, Phantom, Wicked, and chorus line are much better. And besides you have only seen Beauty so you can't talk about how disney is better than everything.
Updated On: 12/27/06 at 06:45 PM

Moogi Profile Photo
Moogi
#41re: Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King?
Posted: 12/27/06 at 6:52pm

I would choose Beauty & the Beast.I really loved BatB. I really enjoy the story, whether it's Disney's version or the original classic (looking into a person's soul to judge them instead of their appearance & all of that...) I think Disney did a beautiful job with it. The sets are interesting, the costumes are lavish & gorgeous, & the characters are compelling & comical. My only complaint about the show was that it seemed rushed at the end. My second recommendation for you if you do not choose BatB would be Avenue Q. It is a hilarious show!

Anthony3 Profile Photo
Anthony3
#42re: Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King?
Posted: 12/27/06 at 7:08pm

Beauty and the Beast. The Lion King will be hard to get tickets to.

Lizzya9
#43re: Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King?
Posted: 12/27/06 at 7:12pm

I'm just saying I don't think any other show will ever affect me as deeply as B&tB did. But hey, it's worth a shot. = )

JemimaPearl
#44re: Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King?
Posted: 12/27/06 at 7:13pm

Well, I just saw Tarzan, and I honestly have no clue what critics were talking about. It was terrific. But, if it's between Lion King and Beauty, I say Beauty and the Beast. Lion King costumes/puppets are a gimmick. The music of Beauty is much better, plus John Tartaglia is in it. Funniest actor I have ever seen.

"Movies will make you famous; Television will make you rich; But theatre will make you good." -Terrence Mann
Updated On: 12/27/06 at 07:13 PM

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#45re: Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King?
Posted: 12/27/06 at 7:19pm

Lizzya9,

This is what you said:

"Disney IS Broadway! I guarantee there are no better shows out right now than Disney shows."

I'm not going to attack you because you're so young. But you must realize that statement is very ignorant. You admit you haven't seen many shows on Broadway and you also admit you have only seen one Disney show on Broadway. By those statements alone, you have contradicted yourself and your claim that you can guarantee there are no better shows than Disney shows has no merit.

I have seen 21 out of the 26 musicals on Broadway right now, including ALL of the ones of the new season, THE LION KING, TARZAN, BEAUTY & THE BEAST, and MARY POPPINS (and AIDA which has closed but is a Disney show).

I will say this, Disney's LOOK of their shows are always extreme. Sometimes, in a good way (Aida, Mary Poppins, The Lion King, BATB) and sometimes bad (Tarzan and I've heard On The Record, too). And the music is always good. But the book of ALL of their shows are kiddied down. There is nothing wrong with that, but each and every time they kiddied down the book, they sacrifice some majorly needed elements, such as pace.

Disney is ON Broadway but certainly not IS Broadway.

--Aristotle

Fabrizio2
#46re: Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King?
Posted: 12/27/06 at 9:05pm

Updated On: 12/27/06 at 09:05 PM

CyCoSpAz2 Profile Photo
CyCoSpAz2
#47re: Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King?
Posted: 12/27/06 at 9:12pm

I havent seen The Lion King, but I did see Beauty and the Beast and did not mind it. It was not the best thing I have seen, but I was with my mom and she loves the movie, and we needed a show that was on TKTS.

It certainly was not terrible, and I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised. Plus, you cannot go wrong with John Tartaglia.

But I do agree with these other suggestions, Avenue Q is a far superior show.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#48re: Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King?
Posted: 12/27/06 at 9:12pm

B&tB all the way!!! It was my first fave B'Way musical since it premiered... or was it CATS? I hope not! :)LOL

JohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
#49re: Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King?
Posted: 12/27/06 at 9:17pm

I hate THE LION KING, so my vote would be BEAUTY AND THE BEAST.