News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Doubt

BroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
#1Doubt
Posted: 1/6/07 at 5:40am

The play Doubt is coming to Chicago and I haven't decided if I should go see it. Should I?

"Passion can drive you crazy but is there any other way to live"

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#2re: Doubt
Posted: 1/6/07 at 5:47am

yes, its quite wonderful

BroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
#2re: Doubt
Posted: 1/6/07 at 5:53am

It looks amazing

"Passion can drive you crazy but is there any other way to live"

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#3re: Doubt
Posted: 1/6/07 at 8:19am

I loved the entire play, I think it is J.P.S's greatest play.

neomystyk29 Profile Photo
neomystyk29
#4re: Doubt
Posted: 1/6/07 at 9:06am

Deffinitely see it. One of my favorite plays.

Dollypop
#5re: Doubt
Posted: 1/6/07 at 9:43am

Wait for the musical.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#6re: Doubt
Posted: 1/6/07 at 9:53am

I would never tell anyone not to see a show. However, (and I KNOW I'm in the minority) I was not impressed with the play - I felt it was completely over-rated and I left the theater disappointed.

I did not see Cherry Jones, I saw Eileen Atkins, and apparently that did make a difference - most people I know who saw Atkins were not impressed with the play, most people who saw Jones were raving, those who saw both said it really lost something without Jones. Since Jones is doing the tour, I am assuming that missing "something" has returned.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#7re: Doubt
Posted: 1/6/07 at 10:12am

I'm seeing it Tonight. I'll get back with you.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

yellibean2
#8re: Doubt
Posted: 1/6/07 at 10:25am

I'll actually have to agree with D2-I thought it was good, but I was not impressed. I read it beforehand and maybe that's a contributing factor, but I was just not interested when I saw it.

I also saw it with Eileen Atkins, so maybe as you said, that was it. It's well written, but I don't know, it just didn't really draw me in.
Updated On: 1/6/07 at 10:25 AM

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#9re: Doubt
Posted: 1/7/07 at 1:23am

Okay, I saw it tonight with the full cast at it was simply fantastic. I've read the play and the portrayls heightend the material to a new level. See it if you get a chance. It is rare that a Tony award winning star will tour the country in their Tony Award winning role anymore.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

galindagirl2 Profile Photo
galindagirl2
#10re: Doubt
Posted: 1/7/07 at 1:39am

I went with a large group. Half fell asleep and the other half (me included) was riveted throughout the entire performance and could not stop talking about it afterwards. I found it to be an incredibly powerful and provacative piece. Be sure to see it with someone, as you will find yourself wanting to discuss and debate afterwards.

pab Profile Photo
pab
#11re: Doubt
Posted: 1/7/07 at 1:58am

Very good play and very good cast. I may be a little bias because one of closest friends is in the touring company but I enjoyed the play long before she got involved.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

Mistress_Spouzic Profile Photo
Mistress_Spouzic
#12re: Doubt
Posted: 1/7/07 at 2:04am

I thought both women were wonderful in the role but you walked away thinking about what had happened differently.

AtLeastIveBeenThere Profile Photo
AtLeastIveBeenThere
#13re: Doubt
Posted: 1/7/07 at 3:55am

Do.

Having just a vision's no solution.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#14re: Doubt
Posted: 1/7/07 at 4:23am

I agree with Mistress. While I felt Jones was stronger overall, her and Eileen left you with two completely opposite impressions of what happened.

With Cherry, I always felt Father Flynn was guilty. With Adkins, I leaned toward him being innocent.

Just goes to show one of the wonders of theater, how two completely different performances in the same role can change your view on the entire story.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#15re: Doubt
Posted: 1/7/07 at 10:13am

See it. A very good play. I was lucky enough to see the original cast on Broadway. One of the few plays I was actually still talking about two weeks after seeing it.

Just give the world Love.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#16re: Doubt
Posted: 1/7/07 at 12:46pm

there were people who saw ms. jones twice or ms. atkins twice and had different impressions of his guilt or lack of. I think it has to do with what that person brings into the theatre and how the performance flows that nite.

however, I think it's more the former as people in the same audience of either ms. jones or ms. atkins would debate his guilt. and not just 'he's guilty!' and 'he's innocent!'. lots of people were truly in Doubt--and couldn't understand how another person could be so certain either way.

I find all of this to be fascinating and a true compliment to the play.

Videos