Rent - current cast

LANYC
#1Rent - current cast
Posted: 1/15/07 at 6:06pm

Hey anyone can tell a die hard fan how the current cast of Rent is? I might see it if i hear good things about them. Was a big renthead back in the day.

hermionejuliet Profile Photo
hermionejuliet
#2re: Rent - current cast
Posted: 1/15/07 at 6:24pm

I saw the current cast about a week ago. I can't vouch for the full-time Mimi since I saw an (amazing) understudy, but the show was great. The entire cast was full of energy and very talented. I'd highly suggest catching a performance if you have a chance.

So, that was the Drowsy Chaperone. Oh, I love it so much. I know it's not a perfect show...but it does what a musical is supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue. Ya know?

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#2re: Rent - current cast
Posted: 1/15/07 at 6:32pm

http://www.compulsivebowlers.org/boards/viewforum.php?f=2

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Shiksa Goddess2
#3re: Rent - current cast
Posted: 1/15/07 at 7:56pm

I saw it in Decemeber and they were amazing. The best Rent cast I've ever seen (though I've only seen it three times). I also saw the understudy for Mimi, and she was amazing too.

MamawhoBoreme Profile Photo
MamawhoBoreme
#4re: Rent - current cast
Posted: 1/15/07 at 8:08pm

i saw RENT this past saturday AMAZING! i just dont like the new Maureen or Joanne. But other than that AMAZING!

wheredidhegogeorge2
#5re: Rent - current cast
Posted: 1/16/07 at 3:52am

Im gonna have to say I didnt really care for tim howars performance. He just seemed to yell a lot of the show. His ballads were beautiful but all else was just painful almost. However Destan Owens, is of another world. So much talent.

FabalaYero85
#6re: Rent - current cast
Posted: 1/16/07 at 5:57am

hmm what to say about the current cast...

Chris Hanke tends to have moments where he channels Matt Caplan during the Tango Maureen and La Vie Boheme.

Tim Howar. he has his moments. the last time I saw the show his performance was stellar. but not one of my favorite Rogers.

Jamie is great Mimi. wonderful chemistry with Howar.

Nicolette Hart is the current Maureen having just started this past weekend. she's pretty good.

everyone else. eh theys ok. D'Monroe is always fabulous, Justin's Angel is always a hoot. didn't really like the new Collins or Joanne.

they are great, but not amazing and they still put on an energetic and wonderful performance.

hmm...

MamawhoBoreme
#7re: Rent - current cast
Posted: 1/16/07 at 8:46am

actually i thought Tim Howar is doing an amazing job now. during the beginning of his run he screamed a lot but now hes much better .. he can contain himself. i think he makes a great Roger only because thats how Roger is suppose to be, upset,angry, depressed. i love his portrayal of Roger. i really didnt like Nicolette, she rushed through all her parts and her voice doesnt seem to fit the "high-pitched, wacky" maureen. I love Jamie she is the BEST Mimi i feel in my own opinion. she has a slamming body, sings amazingly, and has great chemistry with all the actors. and Christopher i love hes amazing, he makes the best faces! But i agree with Fabalayero85 the new Joanne is just not that great.

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#8re: Rent - current cast
Posted: 1/16/07 at 12:17pm

Saw it Monday December 18th and it was hands doen the worst performance of a Broadway show I have ever seen.
Howar was all over the place. At times he was speaking(yelling is more like it) to the wrong character. Vocally he seems to have either been just getting over a cold, damged his voice, or just a bad singer. His stifling his natural British accent gave any of his spoken lines an odd cadence which didn't help his characterization Hanke seemed to be trying something different in each scene and then abandoning it in the next. There seemed to be a certain level of dis-interest from him which maybe was his way of "Detach(ing) form being alive" . Regardless it came across as ambivalence.
I saw the Marueen cover and thought she was great, although She seems like she is a bit of a square peg in this show. She seems better suited for contmporary sweet ingenue stuff instead of Brassy character stuff like maureen. That being said she did a very good job Joanne was OK, although She didn't seem to me like a HArvard educated lawyer.
Collins seemed about ten years older than The other collins's i ahve seen. HE riffed on I'll cover you to sing a high note and it only caused me to lose the emotion of the song-not a great choice.

I have seen the show 4 times and know it quite well. I haven't been back in a few years and was actually really excited since all the other times I saw it the creative team and the casting people were always filling it with new (but Talented) blood making it always fresh. Even my sister in law who loves rent but doesn't know much about Musical theater thought it was horrendous.
ANgel hands-down stole the show
Mimi was good. Angel was
The dancing wa a mess and the singing was marginal

Other than that, did you enjoy the play Mrs Lincoln?

MamawhoBoreme
#9re: Rent - current cast
Posted: 1/16/07 at 12:22pm

ok neverandy... who would you like to see perform the roles then?

#10re: Rent - current cast
Posted: 1/16/07 at 12:24pm

However Destan Owens, is of another world. So much talent.

Besides the fact that Destan has been gone for months, I have to admit that I'd never think I'd see "so much talent" used as a phrase to describe Destan Owens. Why exactly do you think he was wonderful?

There seems to be very little ground with regards to Tim Howar - I personally wasn't completely sold on him the first time I saw him but have since accepted that even though I'm not a fan of some of his acting choices, I can put that aside and enjoy his and enjoy his amazing voice. I can't really fathom that anyone would feel he's a bad singer - raspy and raw, definitely, but I think those qualities embody the character so well (provided they aren't taken to an extreme). But to each his own.

MamawhoBoreme
#11re: Rent - current cast
Posted: 1/16/07 at 12:30pm

^^^ i thought his voice was really good too. i saw him early in october and he did much better the past weekend when i saw him.

jenna2 Profile Photo
jenna2
#12re: Rent - current cast
Posted: 1/16/07 at 2:30pm

Neverandy -- Tim's not British. The only accent he would have been stifling is Canadian. lol.

Call the understudy / I can't go on tonight / I'm drinking with my buddy / I'm getting good and tight / Before they raise the curtain I'll be higher than a kite / So call the understudy I can't go on tonight

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#13re: Rent - current cast
Posted: 1/16/07 at 2:37pm

re: Rent - current cast

starring as Mark Cohen!

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#14re: Rent - current cast
Posted: 1/16/07 at 9:39pm

Well if he isn't british he has the strangest way of speaking for a North american I have ever heard.
If I had to pick the best people for mark and roger I have seen...
Well then
Manley pope as Roger
gilles chiasson as Mark

Maggie_May
#15re: Rent - current cast
Posted: 1/17/07 at 1:02am

I just got back from tonights performance and hte only people holding that show together to me are Christopher Hanke, Nicolette Hart and Justin Johnson. It was the worst one I have ever been too. I really wish I could go back to three years ago when the cast was good.

broadwaybaby086
#16re: Rent - current cast
Posted: 1/17/07 at 1:09am

Sad to hear that!

I've yet to see RENT on broadway, but I'm happy to hear that Nicolette is doing a good job. :o)

"I'll cut you, Tracee Beazer!!!! ...Just kidding. I'd never cut anyone." -Tina Maddigan, 9/30/06, WS stage door
Avatar: JULIE "EFFING" WHITE, 2007 TONY WINNER. Thank God. I'm thinking about legally changing my name to Lizzie Curry...

Craww
#17re: Rent - current cast
Posted: 1/17/07 at 1:21am

Well if he isn't british he has the strangest way of speaking for a North american I have ever heard.

I thought the same thing, when he spoke to me after the show. I found myself thinking "hah! he thinks he's British, how cute". He does have a legitimate excuse. A combination of time spent in England, and the influence of time spent with those possessing actual British accents.

I agree, though. His line delivery and some of his phrasing does have a strange cadence. I pretty much adored him, but I could always see why others don't.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#18re: Rent - current cast
Posted: 1/17/07 at 1:26am

Not to mention his wife is Ruthie Henshall.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
#19re: Rent - current cast
Posted: 1/17/07 at 1:38am

Nevermind! Sorry! Updated On: 1/17/07 at 01:38 AM

Craww
#20re: Rent - current cast
Posted: 1/17/07 at 5:44am

Not to mention his wife is Ruthie Henshall.

Indeed. That's what I was getting at, without...well, Googling to make sure I spelled her name right. Or otherwise putting forth just a bit too much effort reporting what I remembered of Tim Howar's life story.

On topic, I caught the show recently before the cast changes for Collins, Maureen, Joanne, and the all important Alexi Darling. I enjoyed everyone, but I don't have much perspective.

I think I like Christopher J. Hanke better in retrospect. Being a Mark-watching sort of person, it initially caught me a bit off guard to be more engrossed with Roger. Christopher was incredibly solid both nights I saw him, but definitely put more enthusiasm in the second time.
Updated On: 1/17/07 at 05:44 AM

MamawhoBoreme
#21re: Rent - current cast
Posted: 1/17/07 at 7:56am

See i thought Nicolette was horrible. she has no enthusiasm. and her voice overall isnt that powerful.

#22re: Rent - current cast
Posted: 1/17/07 at 8:47am

Being a Mark-watching sort of person, it initially caught me a bit off guard to be more engrossed with Roger.

I think that's the way it's supposed to be. I wouldn't go so far to say that the performers aren't doing their jobs properly if the audience finds itself more engrossed with the character of Mark because people may have predisposed preferences to prefer one character to the other, but it makes a lot more sense to have Roger as the more attractive (not necessarily physically) character with Mark as more of an observer/commentator. The central romance and conflict revolves around Roger, after all.
Updated On: 1/17/07 at 08:47 AM

javertim
#23re: Rent - current cast
Posted: 1/17/07 at 10:35am

I cannot believe there are so many negative things being said about Tonya Dixon as Joanne. She is, without a doubt in my mind, one of the strongest Joannes I have ever seen ... And I have seen very many.

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#24re: Rent - current cast
Posted: 1/17/07 at 11:00am

I am glad I am not the only one that had these feelings. I didn't go into it enough on my first post, but Justin was great. Thank God that in all my times seeing REnt I have never seen a bad Angel.
It could be possible that the show and the performers are terribly inconsistant, but I am not so sure. I wonder what the Stage Manager notes are like, and when the last time the Associate Director was in for a clean-up.

Videos