pixeltracker

To anyone happy to see "Beauty" go...

To anyone happy to see "Beauty" go...

Pippie_Poppins
#1To anyone happy to see "Beauty" go...
Posted: 1/17/07 at 6:59pm

Why is everyone so happy about this show leaving? I know I'm not.

I think it's pitiful that people say Rent should stay open because of a "legacy" to Jonathan Larson, but do we even ****ing think of Howard Ashman? Who gave a mermaid her voice and a beast his soul? Not to mention a plant his food. And teenagers a beauty pagent. He died of AIDS too, you know. He died in the process of making Aladdin. He died before Beauty was released to the movie theatre's, and didn't see the awards, the praise, and the trip to broadway. Does that sound a little familiar? This happened way before Rent, kids. It's not so original.

That man, who died before I was six, has touched my life more than words can say. When I was in first grade, I had been made fun of for being a bookworm. Then in december of first grade, Beauty and the Beast came out. Here was this beautiful woman, a brunette, like me, who LOVED TO READ. And that made it okay for me to read.

I know it's lame to anyone who wasn't a five year old girl when that movie came out, but it's a beautiful story, and it was nominated for an academy award for best Film.

So, let's fast forward to the Broadway production. Sure, you ****ing elitists hate disney coming to Broadway, and though this wasn't my first musical (42nd Street at five, and I haven't stopped since) think of the kids that will get into shows because of disney.

Grow up. Get off your high horse. I love classic musicals, but you know what? Those were based off movies and books and plays as well. And fairy tales. Why do you have to pick on the one show made by one production team? It's a magical story. And they made magic on that stage. Two patents, anyone? One for Lumiere being on fire, and the fireball by the enchantress.

I'm pissed off at ANYONE who says they are glad this show is closing. You are heartless bastards who can't let innocence overtake you and become a child again. I love Mermaid, but not in the same way I'll love beast. I'd take a smart bookish woman over an anorexic love-struck teen any day.

And I love both movies dearly, but Beauty is the epitome of childhood desires and pure love. And acceptance. We're all theatre geeks, so in a way, aren't we all outcasts?

I'm not sad because it's closing, I'm sad because so many of you can't understand what this story means. And you muck up beauty of it. The honesty. You ruin it for others who love it. Here's to you being the Scrooge of the situation.

If I get one "incorrect grammar" post, I will get angry. I just finished a long day of school, of a mediocre day, and come home to this news. This was written quickly after I saw so many negative posts. Or positive, however you'd like to view it.

Talk. Defend. Support. Flame me for being an idealistic little girl.

"To our friend Howard, who gave a mermaid her voice and a beast his soul, we will be forever grateful."

gcal
#2re: To anyone happy to see 'Beauty' go...
Posted: 1/17/07 at 7:01pm

I'll respond before the Rentheads...

Jonathan Larson didn't die of AIDS, as you imply in your first paragraph.
Updated On: 1/17/07 at 07:01 PM

ThankstoPhantom
#2re: To anyone happy to see 'Beauty' go...
Posted: 1/17/07 at 7:03pm

Also, many didn't like it because its artistic merit has lacked, especially in recent years. I am all for entertainment candy, but it should be well written. I agree that the show brought joy to many, including me when I was younger, and I'll always remember that. But many did not like it for the above reason I stated, and I agree with them, it was not done in the most artful way.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#3re: To anyone happy to see 'Beauty' go...
Posted: 1/17/07 at 7:04pm

I'm happy to see it close (it should have YEARS ago), but The Little Mermaid doesn't look too promising.

MovieGuy1031 Profile Photo
MovieGuy1031
#4re: To anyone happy to see 'Beauty' go...
Posted: 1/17/07 at 7:05pm

Yeah, gcal, thats actually a really common misconception from a lot of rather uninformed people.

"The nice thing about the rain is that it always stops... eventually."

- Eeyore

Pippie_Poppins
#5re: To anyone happy to see 'Beauty' go...
Posted: 1/17/07 at 7:07pm

OH MY GOD, you people are exasperating! He ****ing had AIDS didn't he? Wouldn't his immune system be down because of AIDS and he could have fought whatever he had? Let me make my comparison. I don't like Rent. I like Disney. I know Disney facts, not Rent facts. To any Rentheads who want to bother me about it.

And that's what I'm talking about... all you people want to find, are the mistakes I made.

I mean, I think you were either trying to be nice to bring it to my attention, or you were just being corrective.

But thank you, in the future I will keep track of seemingly important details of death. Sorry for sarcasm.

JustChillin8908
#6re: To anyone happy to see 'Beauty' go...
Posted: 1/17/07 at 7:09pm

I don't believe he had AIDS...

One Song Glory
#7re: To anyone happy to see 'Beauty' go...
Posted: 1/17/07 at 7:12pm

No he didn't have AIDS, he died of an aortic aneurysm.

I'm not a gay stereotype. I'm a coincidence.

purpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
#8re: To anyone happy to see 'Beauty' go...
Posted: 1/17/07 at 7:12pm

i am pretty sure he died of marfan's syndrome Updated On: 1/17/07 at 07:12 PM

colleen_lee
#9re: To anyone happy to see 'Beauty' go...
Posted: 1/17/07 at 7:15pm

You're an idiot. Stop talking.

For the record, RENT is due to close too. That show is doing nothing to keep Jonathan's legacy alive, and the mere existence of it, the film, and the life it will have in regional and other settings will keep the memory alive for a long time.

And, frankly, it's the same with Beauty and the Beast.

Everbody dies sometime, should we keep every show by a now deceased composer open for eternity to honor their memory?

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

Mattbrain
#10re: To anyone happy to see 'Beauty' go...
Posted: 1/17/07 at 7:16pm

Yeah, that's the disease he died of.

We are not denying that he had AIDS (he didn't). We're just saying that that's not what he died from. He was taken from this world far too soon. What a talent.

Edit: I love Rent and Beauty and the Beast. I am quite sad to see Beauty and the Beast go. It was my first Broadway show. Don't assume that just because people like Rent doesn't mean they don't like other stuff. You should see my list of favorite shows.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."
Updated On: 1/17/07 at 07:16 PM

RevolutionaryCostume Profile Photo
RevolutionaryCostume
#11re: To anyone happy to see 'Beauty' go...

Former RENThead here lol.

Jonathan Larson did not die of AIDS. . he was not even HIV+. . he had friends who were dying, and that's where a lot of the inspiration for RENT came from.

Jonathan died of an aortic aneurysm. . basically a major valve in his heart exploded. . he had gone to the hospital a few times before he died, and they sent him home, telling him he was just stressed.

Beauty and the Beast is closing because it's not selling tickets any more. It's an old show that has been run into the ground. The actors in it don't feel fresh anymore, and anyone who had the chops to play Belle has already. It's just its time.

People are happy about it because Disney has taken over a group of theatres that people believe would be better-served doing other forms of entertainment. The fact, though, is that Disney and BATB did a lot for the Times Square area. People should always remember that. . but it's no reason to keep a failing show open.

I understand being upset, but your posts remind me of an angry angst-ridden 13 year old who should be spending their time on Myspace. .

I still like RENT a lot, and went to see it when I was in NYC last, but I can't say I would surprised or angered if it closed. . it's time is running out as well.

The point is. . it's not personal. . shows close, others open. . it's the circle of life. . ayummayummaaye.

~Jacob.

Pippie_Poppins
#12re: To anyone happy to see 'Beauty' go...

"Also, many didn't like it because its artistic merit has lacked, especially in recent years. I am all for entertainment candy, but it should be well written. I agree that the show brought joy to many, including me when I was younger, and I'll always remember that. But many did not like it for the above reason I stated, and I agree with them, it was not done in the most artful way."

I'm not saying it didn't lack in recent years, but it was a good show. I mean, trying to make the objects work was rather fantastic. Chip was flipping awesome until I grew up, did shows, and found out theatre special effetcs.

It was innovative. It brought joy to me too, but I just hate the negativity people are having about it. And because I'm so into the background process of it too, like Howard Ashman, and people just trod over it, and forget the little things. But OMG Jonathan Larson died before Rent was a hit!! BBQ!!

And to me, this show and movie are very close to my heart, and I hate that people are GLAD to see something go.

It's not just this show, in general people are happy to see things fail, and this was just the straw.

colleen_lee
#13re: To anyone happy to see 'Beauty' go...
Posted: 1/17/07 at 7:20pm

You've definitely got a bit of a chip on your shoulder.

And nobody is calling this show a failure. It's not a failure, even remotely close to it, the damn thing is one of the longest running shows on Broadway. But all things have to come to an end at some point, and this is it for this show.

And to compare this show is RENT is more than a little laughable. BATB was never a questionable investment, it was backed by one of the biggest corporations on the planet. It wasn't a tale of success against all odds. That's why RENT garnered that attention, because it came from no where with much stacked against it.

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

VonTussleGirl Profile Photo
VonTussleGirl
#14re: To anyone happy to see 'Beauty' go...
Posted: 1/17/07 at 7:21pm

I don't like Rent. I like Disney. I know Disney facts, not Rent facts.

Which makes no difference, because your facts were wrong. If you're going to start attacking a show and/or its fans, do some Googling. Inform yourself. It makes you look like less of an idiot.

(...and I'm not even a Renthead.)

PJMPirate
#15re: To anyone happy to see 'Beauty' go...

for the record, he didn't have AIDS, he died of a heart problem. I believe it was an aortic aneurysm, but don't quote me on that.

(I'm not a Renthead, by the way. In fact I think it's a good show but to be fair it's about time that it closed.)

MLE Profile Photo
MLE
#16re: To anyone happy to see 'Beauty' go...

Whoa, I think you need to deal a little bit. You're not the only one to ever have a sentimental attachment to a show that a lot of others seem to pick on.
You're not going to get anywhere by generalizing like you did.

So, let's fast forward to the Broadway production. Sure, you ****ing elitists hate disney coming to Broadway

There's no need to hurl obscenities. Second of all, why do you think a lot of people have a problem with Disney on Broadway? Yeah, you're right there is probably is a little elitism, but that's not the real reason I have a problem with it. I have a problem with Disney, the company. Broadway is a business and the "Disneyfication" of Broadway represents an unwelcome change to many actors and those close to the heart of theatre. These musicals come in, backed by a huge corporation and a built in fan base of the families with young children. These huge musicals dominate and occupy theatres for years and years. That means less of a chance for other shows and performers.

Just, take it down a notch. Shows close. And yes, it is sad if you had an attachment to the show, but it's not the end of the world. There are always going to be people who are happy about it. That's just the way it is.

SweetQintheLights
#17re: To anyone happy to see 'Beauty' go...
Posted: 1/17/07 at 7:24pm

Pippie_Poppins-

Who are you, where did you come from and what are you smoking?

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178

Pippie_Poppins
#18re: To anyone happy to see 'Beauty' go...
Posted: 1/17/07 at 7:26pm

I am not an idiot. I've heard people say that about Rent, and I was attemping to prove that's it the exact same case! But fine, I was mistaken. I thought the man had AIDS, but I guess I was wrong. Just because I was wrong doesn't make me an idiot. I was trying to make a COMPARISON. So I don't know the facts of how someone died.

And when Rent closes, I'll be "glad" too.

So colleen, don't be rude because you can type and throw around words like idiot. And yes, there are people out there who think that Rent should never, ever close because it "would be wrong!"

I don't think it's bad that Beauty is closing... I just hate that there are people who are thrilled to see it go.

And no, I'm not saying assuming that about people who like Rent, mattbrain, I was using that as a comparison topic... I could have also used Gower Champion, but people might not know that story.

colleen_lee
#19re: To anyone happy to see 'Beauty' go...
Posted: 1/17/07 at 7:28pm

"I was trying to make a COMPARISON. So I don't know the facts of how someone died."

Then perhaps using it as your thesis (if that rambling nonsense had any sort of thesis point) is not the brightest move, eh?

Updated On: 1/17/07 at 07:28 PM

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#20re: To anyone happy to see 'Beauty' go...
Posted: 1/17/07 at 7:29pm

Pippie got bad news today.

Some folks don't deal well with bad news.

Breathe people.....

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

colleen_lee
#21re: To anyone happy to see 'Beauty' go...
Posted: 1/17/07 at 7:31pm

Bad news is finding out your dog died, or that your mother has cancer or you've been laid off...

If this is her reaction to a show closing after a very healthy 13 year run, I shudder to think about how her world must implode when life actually gets difficult!

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#22re: To anyone happy to see 'Beauty' go...
Posted: 1/17/07 at 7:32pm

Some people need lessons in How to Quote Coherently.

Might I suggest the italics tag?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
Updated On: 1/17/07 at 07:32 PM

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#23re: To anyone happy to see 'Beauty' go...
Posted: 1/17/07 at 7:34pm

I don't know what prompted you to compare Beauty/Ashman to Rent/Larson, but Disney is closing BEAUTY to bring in a fresh show and I applaud them for that. Mel Brooks is closing THE PRODUCERS to bring in a fresh show and I applaud him for that.

The Nederlanders aren't closing RENT, for whatever reason, and that's their choice. Personally, I'm ready for the show to move on to regional theatres and let the Broadway show rest in peace. I saw it a month or so ago and it's not in good shape. I hear BEAUTY isn't in good shape, neither. Oh well, it's leaving and again, I applaud Disney in their efforts to bring Broadway something new and taking a sacrifice for it (though if they had the choice, you KNOW they'd keep it open).

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Pippie_Poppins
#24re: To anyone happy to see 'Beauty' go...
Posted: 1/17/07 at 7:40pm

Sweet Q,

I'm a reader, not a poster, and all in all, I'm just sick of reading all the negativity on these boards. Reading that people are "glad" to see a show go (Not all from this board, I've heard it in conversations and elsewhere) has just gotten to me. And this was the last straw, and it just doesn't seem like you guys get it anyway. All you want to do is point out a mistake I made. And you make me out to be the crazy one. I see now why Broadway can fail so easily.

I understand that shows close. Of course they do. But if all of you people love this business as much as you say you do, why do you wish it to fail? And when a company helped bring Broadway out of it's slump, you all bash it. Because that's why I'm angry. You guys are seemingly happy to see shows go and fail. It's just rather sickening.

So there, mock me some more, tell me how stupid I am for getting one fact wrong. But you know it really doesn't matter now. I get now that you guys just want to be negative and corrective and I can't fix that. Not with all the optimism in the world.

Videos