pixeltracker

moulin rouge..what do you think?

moulin rouge..what do you think?

isabel77
#1moulin rouge..what do you think?
Posted: 1/20/07 at 1:36pm

i thought i heard a little while back that baz was planning a stage version of moulin rouge but haven't heard anything since. what do you all think about moulin rouge on broadway..should it happen?

#2re: moulin rouge..what do you think?
Posted: 1/20/07 at 1:41pm

I heard it was to be in Vegas...

Wasn't there a non-Baz production of Moulin Rouge at the Kodak Theatre in 2004-2005? I remember seeing an ad foe it in the LA Times Calendar section.

mijofly19
#2re: moulin rouge..what do you think?
Posted: 1/20/07 at 1:46pm

It won't happen. There would have to be an entirely new score. They could not get the rights to all of those songs for a Broadway production.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#3re: moulin rouge..what do you think?
Posted: 1/20/07 at 2:02pm

I don't understand why not. They got them for the film, didn't they?

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

lightguy06222
#4re: moulin rouge..what do you think?
Posted: 1/20/07 at 2:11pm

agreed! i would LOVE to see this onstage!

i would even pay full price! well, maybe...

isabel77
#5re: moulin rouge..what do you think?
Posted: 1/20/07 at 5:02pm

well baz would be putting it on, like he did la boheme not too long ago. but i think moulin rouge would be pretty successful and i'd personally love to see it! i'm not sure who'd be good for the cast though, jonathan groff looks like he'd make a good christian but i dunno about satine.

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#6re: moulin rouge..what do you think?
Posted: 1/20/07 at 5:06pm

I'd take 'Moulin Rouge' over many other jukebox musicals. I still don't know if it'd necessarily be a good idea, but it'd at least have an automatic audience...

Piercemn Profile Photo
Piercemn
#7re: moulin rouge..what do you think?
Posted: 1/20/07 at 5:57pm

That's just what Broadway needs: another musical based on a movie! Audiences are NOT screaming for a stage version of this any more than they are a musical version of Legally Blonde.

Why not take an old show and fix the libretto? I'm all for revivals of High Spirits, Miss Liberty and Baker Street. Where's that promised revival of Allegro? It's time we revisit Brigadoon. How about some of those Cole Porter shows that are forgotten, instead of Anything Goes and Kiss Me, Kate. Why not a revival of Dubarry was a Lady? I don't ever need to see Fiddler on the Roof, Camelot or Annie again, but I'd love to see a stage version of Paint Your Wagon.

NYC Visitor and Broadway Fan

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#8re: moulin rouge..what do you think?
Posted: 1/20/07 at 6:04pm

Audiences are NOT screaming for a stage version of this any more than they are a musical version of Legally Blonde.

I doubt that. This was a lot better received than the Legally Blonde film, and it was a musical to begin with. It was also very theatrical in presentation, so it could probably translate very well to stage - and with a very strong fan base.

Imagine being a producer and having to choose between the original director of one of the most popular musical films of recent times taking it to the Broadway stage and a revival of Brigadoon or Paint Your Wagon?

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Broadway Baby4
#9re: moulin rouge..what do you think?
Posted: 1/20/07 at 6:05pm

Can you spell Y-E-S! It would be amazing!

RIP Beauty and the Beast 1994 - 2007 RIP Lestat 04/25/2006 - 05/29/06 You may be gone, but you are NOT forgotten! RIP Jonathan Larson! "Thank You Jonathan Larson!" My FAVORITE Broadway Actors who I LOVE (cause their AWESOME): Josh Strickland, Aaron Lazar, David Ayers, Sebastian Arcelus and Hugh Panaro

Dibbledl01
#10re: moulin rouge..what do you think?
Posted: 1/20/07 at 8:44pm

Oh I would absolutely adore any one who puts time or money into a stage adaptation of the film! The film was stunning and had a wonderful story behind it. I may just be speaking for myself when I say it was meant to be brought to the stage.

wheredidhegogeorge2
#11re: moulin rouge..what do you think?
Posted: 1/20/07 at 10:58pm

I think the show has already developed such a sucessful fan base that it could potentially do very well.

snl89
#12re: moulin rouge..what do you think?
Posted: 1/20/07 at 11:00pm

it would be so amazing :) although, I'm actually perfectly conent with the movie I think! but still, I'd def be interested if it were to be made a production

I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.

#13re: moulin rouge..what do you think?
Posted: 1/21/07 at 12:53am

I thought the film musical Moulin Rouge stunk to high heaven. I'd much rather see a stage musical version of the first Moulin Rouge film that stared Jose Ferrer as Tolouse Latrec. The problem would be finding a Broadway leading man that likes to perform on his knees re: moulin rouge..what do you think?

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#14re: moulin rouge..what do you think?
Posted: 1/21/07 at 7:15am

No, no, no. The movie was a work of art, from that dazzling one-edit-every-half-second opening to the demented camera work during "Like a Virgin". Some things *must* remain in their original formats, because we would lose so much in squeezing it into something else.

http://docandraider.com

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#15re: moulin rouge..what do you think?
Posted: 1/21/07 at 7:19am

No, no, no. I agree with Tom14350. The film was a stinker.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#16re: moulin rouge..what do you think?
Posted: 1/21/07 at 8:56am

I would have been able to watch some of the movie if it didn't make me nauseous. No movie needs to be cut consistently that fast.

MotorTink Profile Photo
MotorTink
#17re: moulin rouge..what do you think?
Posted: 1/21/07 at 10:33am

The first time I watched the movie, I was really confused and didn't really like it. A few weeks later it was on again, so I decided to give it another try. It has now become one of my favorites. I would love to see a stage adaptation, but I'm a little skeptical that they may make it a tad too over the top.

BroadwayBoobs: I'll give all of you who weren't there a hint of who took the pictures ...it rhymes with shameless

SOMMS: I knew it was Tink!

Lizzya9
#18re: moulin rouge..what do you think?
Posted: 1/21/07 at 10:38am

Moulin Rouge would be incredible on stage!

husk_charmer
#19re: moulin rouge..what do you think?
Posted: 1/21/07 at 10:41am

While I did really enjoy Moulin Rouge, I second Pierce, and add to the list that "West Side Story" on of the supposedly greatest musicals ever has not been on the boards since 1980.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

Videos