pixeltracker

Non Union Actors at Equity Calls?

Non Union Actors at Equity Calls?

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#1Non Union Actors at Equity Calls?
Posted: 1/25/07 at 11:54pm

Can non-Equity actors audition at an Equity principal audition? What are the Equity rules regarding this? If you tell the monitor that the director wants to see you don’t they have to let you in? I would think that what the director wants overrides any Equity rules. Couldn’t the jerk of a monitor just let the non-equity actor into the audition room? Even if they are not a member of Equity, don’t they have the RIGHT to audition if a friend of the director told them to show up? I mean even if there are Equity people waiting to audition, couldn’t they just let the non-equity person audition anyway? I mean what is one more audition?

PEACE.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#2re: Non Union Actors at Equity Calls?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 12:01am

Drop it.

You really like to stir the sh!t, don't you?

It's none of your business.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

HamletWasBipolar Profile Photo
HamletWasBipolar
#2re: Non Union Actors at Equity Calls?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 12:02am

You may attend Equity calls. You need to get there bright and early as they sometimes have alotted spots for non-Equity at the end of the Equity casting. Getting one of these spots guarantees nothing, however. You will have to wait all day, and only if there is time will you be seen. You may wait all day and not be seen, it's a crapshoot.

" I wish that the stage were as narrow as a tightrope wire, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it." -- Goethe (he wants you to go to my Myspace page www.myspace.com/jasonklemm

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#3re: Non Union Actors at Equity Calls?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 12:03am

Sueleen, you are the MASTER.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#4re: Non Union Actors at Equity Calls?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 12:08am

I don't know what you are talking about, Diva. I just asked a couple of questions about Equity rules regarding non-Equity actors at an Equity Principal Audition, that is all.

PEACE.

TheatreDiva90016
#5re: Non Union Actors at Equity Calls?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 12:09am

You are SO transparent....

Why aren't you posting about Tyra Banks being called fat?

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#6re: Non Union Actors at Equity Calls?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 12:15am

I am confused...but oh never mind.

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#7re: Non Union Actors at Equity Calls?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 12:45am

Tyra banks is not fat, but is she Equity?
Aren't there any Equity actors on this board that can answer my questions?

PEACE.

HamletWasBipolar
#8re: Non Union Actors at Equity Calls?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 12:54am

I answered your question.

" I wish that the stage were as narrow as a tightrope wire, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it." -- Goethe (he wants you to go to my Myspace page www.myspace.com/jasonklemm

TheatreDiva90016
#9re: Non Union Actors at Equity Calls?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 12:56am

Sueleen is too focused on being negative.

Dramaqueen93088
#10re: Non Union Actors at Equity Calls?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 1:05am

HAHA I am a stage manager and I never knew that non-union could do union shows...how odd...i suppose anything can happen.

it probably depends on the state because in Cali I do not think that non-union folk would get called for equity stuff...but then again I am a non-union manager working in union theater...hum....this was a longer response then needed.

Joshua488
#11re: Non Union Actors at Equity Calls?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 1:30am

For an Equity audition, I don't think they have any obligation to see non-Equity actors. I have gone to Equity auditions and been seen, but I know of non-Equity people who weren't seen at Equity auditions.

HamletWasBipolar
#12re: Non Union Actors at Equity Calls?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 1:47am

Dramaqueen, the non-union actor would have to join Equity, if cast. Unless it was LORT tier that allowed a portion of the cast to non-Equity. But anything off-bway or on, they would be required to join the union

MusicalComedyMan
#13re: Non Union Actors at Equity Calls?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 1:57am

If the director wanted to see a non union actor - he would give them an appointment. EPA's are primarily for equity actors... non union actors will only be seen after all the union actors are seen. But there are always other calls where agents submit and non union actors can be seen there. OH and directors are seldom at EPAs anyway!!!

BroadwaySassy Profile Photo
BroadwaySassy
#14re: Non Union Actors at Equity Calls?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 1:59am

at an Equity Call they always have a list that you can sign when the sign in starts at the morning if you are non-equity. After they are done seeing all of the Equity actors, if time permits or if they want to, they will see non-eq. They will often type if there are too many non-equity people to see. If they don't want to see any non-eq, they will often collect headshots but usually nothing comes of that. Beyond that bear in mind that Equity auditions NOT held at the Actors Equity Building are usually more accomidating. they will let you sit and wait. The equity building tells you to keep checking back but that you can't stay there.

~Sami~

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#15re: Non Union Actors at Equity Calls?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 2:13am

Thanks for all the answers. It helps a lot. So a non-Equity actor could not pop into an EPA on his lunch break, say, and expect to be seen. This is more especially true if the audition is at the Equity office? They will only be seen IF there are no Equity actors waiting and only IF the casting people agree to see non-union people. They have to get there very early, put their name on a waiting list, and wait all day with absolutely no guarantee that they will ever be seen? That sucks.

PEACE.
Updated On: 1/26/07 at 02:13 AM

TheatreDiva90016
#16re: Non Union Actors at Equity Calls?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 2:23am

Sue,

FYI, she has an audition scheduled for the near future, not that you care.

But I'm sure we will here some sort of negative bashing from you in the near future..

Really, all of this negative energy you put out would be better spent if you just focused it into something positive, like therapy.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#17re: Non Union Actors at Equity Calls?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 2:26am

I have no idea what you are talking about, Diva.

PEACE.

TheatreDiva90016
#18re: Non Union Actors at Equity Calls?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 3:11am

Really?!

Why did you ask the question in the first place?

And change your avatar. It's more than 3 years old.

Tyra is the 'fat one' now.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#19re: Non Union Actors at Equity Calls?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 3:25am

I didn't realize there was an expiration date on pictures that can be used as avatars. Some of the Sally Struthers photos that are currently being used are much older than 3 years. You really need to light up and take a breath. The company you keep is really dragging you down.

PEACE.

FindingNamo
#20re: Non Union Actors at Equity Calls?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 9:39am

Sueleen, there are three things a person should never believe:

1. The check is in the mail.

2. I won't --- in your mouth.

3. But the casting director tolllllllld me to come.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none
Updated On: 1/26/07 at 09:39 AM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#21re: Non Union Actors at Equity Calls?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 10:24am

"You really need to light up and take a breath."

* pulls out a ciggy *

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

sopranobiz Profile Photo
sopranobiz
#22re: Non Union Actors at Equity Calls?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 11:04am

I just got my equity card about 8 months ago and I intern in a casting office here in New York. Here's what I've observed: If it's summer, go ahead and try crashing the audition- everyone is away doing summer stock and your chances are good of being seen. Right now though your chances of being seen are slim to none. Stay in bed, take a dance class instead. I was on the equity alternate list last week and was turned away. It's very busy now.

It's not a big deal, don't stress out. If you're right for something just submit directly to the casting office (make sure to mark what project it's for on the envelope!) and see what happens. If a casting director is dying to see you they won't make you come to an EPA, they will schedule an appointment.
Good luck!

FosseForever3 Profile Photo
FosseForever3
#23re: Non Union Actors at Equity Calls?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 12:11pm

"I mean even if there are Equity people waiting to audition, couldn’t they just let the non-equity person audition anyway? I mean what is one more audition?"

If they broke the rules for you, they'd have to for everyone else.

If you are EMC, you can sign up and be seen before the non-union crowd but not before the union members. I agree with sopranobiz...stock season is in full swing right now and even as a union member, you have to get to an audition EARLY so as not to end up on the alternate list.

"Now she wants to know WHY, if I'm so fabulous, I would WANT to take care of her child.....I answer with as much filigree and insouciance as I can muster, trying to slightly cock my head like Snow White listening to the animals. She, in turn, is aiming for more of a Diane-Sawyer-pose, looking for answers which will confirm that I am not there to steal her husband, jewelry, friends, or child. In that order." The Nanny Diaries

#24re: Non Union Actors at Equity Calls?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 12:12pm

Someone fill me in...Sueleen and Diva, what are you guys talking about?

Videos