pixeltracker

Nightmare Before Christmas or Moulin Rouge Musical

Nightmare Before Christmas or Moulin Rouge Musical

Night Life Love
#1Nightmare Before Christmas or Moulin Rouge Musical
Posted: 1/28/07 at 11:07am

While we are throwing out ideas for musicals, i thought I would suggest Nightmare Before Christmas or Moulin Rouge on Broadway? Just two ideas, you can tell me what you guys think because I'm simply curious.

The one that loves the most...is at the mercy of the one that loves the least.

withoutlovewithoutU Profile Photo
withoutlovewithoutU
#2re: Nightmare Before Christmas or Moulin Rouge Musical
Posted: 1/28/07 at 11:10am

I would love to see MR on bway, but only if Baz directs.

"If we don't live happily ever after at least we survive until the end of the week!" -Kermit the frog "I need the money... it costs a lot to look this cheap!" -Dolly P. "Oh please, Over at 'Gypsy' Patti LuPone hasn't even alienated her first daughter yet!" Mary Testa in "Xanadu" "...Like a drunk Chita Rivera!" Robin de Jesus in "In the Heights"

"B*tch, I don't know your life." -Xanadu After that if he still doesn't understand why you were uncomfortable and are now infuriated, kick him again but this time with Jazz Hands!!! -KillerTofu

bundy5000 Profile Photo
bundy5000
#2re: Nightmare Before Christmas or Moulin Rouge Musical
Posted: 1/28/07 at 11:10am

Nightmare Before Christmas

Herbie: "Honey, Don't you know there's a depression?"
Rose: "Of Course I know, I Watch Fox News"
-(modified)Gypsy
Broadway Schedule
December 5th- Hamilton, On Your Feet
December 19th- Noises Off, Edith Piaf Concert at Town Hall

Vespertine1228 Profile Photo
Vespertine1228
#3re: Nightmare Before Christmas or Moulin Rouge Musical
Posted: 1/28/07 at 11:21am

The Nightmare Before Christmas would be too difficult to do visually, I think. Even with puppets. How would Sally fall apart and sew herself back together again? How would the doctor itch his brain? It would require a gigantic budget that only Disney has, and I don't think there's enough family appeal in the show for them to put in the money.

As for Moulin Rouge, I would think getting the rights for all those songs to do them again on Broadway would be very difficult.

TinyDancer2 Profile Photo
TinyDancer2
#4re: Nightmare Before Christmas or Moulin Rouge Musical
Posted: 1/28/07 at 11:26am

Thats true about MR, but I think Nightmare Before Christmas could happen. We've seen people tap dance on the ceiling in Mary Poppins and people swinging from the walls in Tarzan.

Anything possible :)

purpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
#5re: Nightmare Before Christmas or Moulin Rouge Musical
Posted: 1/28/07 at 11:41am

moulin rouge would work better although i don't see it happening anytime soon.

Kgshrauder Profile Photo
Kgshrauder
#6re: Nightmare Before Christmas or Moulin Rouge Musical
Posted: 1/28/07 at 11:42am

Remember those people tap dancing and swinging were funded by Disney.

It was 6 hours, I don't even like to have sex and eat bacon for 6 hours.
Freddy Benson- Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

husk_charmer
#7re: Nightmare Before Christmas or Moulin Rouge Musical
Posted: 1/28/07 at 11:56am

A group of us in High School actually worked out how to do "Nightmare Before Christmas." The Doctor's Brain was basically a hat that when you lifted the top had a brain pattern under it...(and it hinged...it's hard to explain without use of your hands). Sally always does her missing limbs partially off-camera, aside from the big one, but it's basically like in "Wizard of Oz" if Scarecrow gets unstuffed, you keep her head and an arm solid, but the rest behind something, and have her piece together that way. The small ghosts and Zero were puppets. And we used a lot of treadmills and flight. (No we never performed, we just figured out how to do it.)

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

LuPonatic Profile Photo
LuPonatic
#8re: Nightmare Before Christmas or Moulin Rouge Musical
Posted: 1/28/07 at 12:17pm

My old college did a production of The Nightmare Before Christmas (Quite Ilegally) but it worked out fairly well. Sometimes zero was a puppet and sometimes he was just a small circle of light.

shesamarshmallow
#9re: Nightmare Before Christmas or Moulin Rouge Musical
Posted: 1/28/07 at 12:19pm

I vote for Nightmare Before Christmas ONLY IF Ryan Ward gets to play Jack Skellington because he said he wanted to and that would be fantastic.

Moulin Rouge doesn't need to be a stage show.

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

lightguy06222
#10re: Nightmare Before Christmas or Moulin Rouge Musical
Posted: 1/28/07 at 12:59pm

Nightmare Before Christmas onstage is going to be amazing... I have already designed the complete set and lighting, and a friend of mine has designed the costumes... we are looking to universal to produce it(because of the big success with wicked.) Set is going to be amazing, i guarentee it. As far as costumes, we are doing a mix between susan hilferty esque emerald city costumes, and julie taymor esque puppetry (but alot darker) Gonna be SIIICKKKK!

Oh, and no treadmills... we are using a turntable that also moves up and down on hydro (similar to LORD OF THE RINGS for anyone who saw the musical)

cant wait!

showbiz287 Profile Photo
showbiz287
#11re: Nightmare Before Christmas or Moulin Rouge Musical
Posted: 1/28/07 at 2:42pm

I think Nightmare Before Christmas would be a good seasonal thing to do, like The Grinch. It could start around Halloween, and finish up after Christmas.

"I'll eat some breakfast, then change the world."

husk_charmer
#12re: Nightmare Before Christmas or Moulin Rouge Musical
Posted: 1/28/07 at 3:38pm

Good luck lightguy...however it's a Disney property...so good luck on the Universal front.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

mateo Profile Photo
mateo
#13re: Nightmare Before Christmas or Moulin Rouge Musical
Posted: 1/28/07 at 3:39pm

NBC for sure. It would be a feast for the eyes.

I dont know who runs disneys broadway department but they pick the wrong movies to transfer.

"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"

ashbash1990 Profile Photo
ashbash1990
#14re: Nightmare Before Christmas or Moulin Rouge Musical
Posted: 1/28/07 at 3:57pm

I have been saying for a while that the only disney musical that should ever have been produced is Nightmare, and it hasn't been done yet! As for Moulin Rouge,though it is among my favorite movies, I am really opposed to the entire Movie becoming a Musical thing (except for Mel Brooks, because he is just cool that way) and I feel that I don't want the movie ruined for me by a sub-par musical...

What a night! I was in more laps than a napkin!

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#15re: Nightmare Before Christmas or Moulin Rouge Musical
Posted: 1/28/07 at 4:10pm

I'd like to see NBC being done.

Oh, and I have to say this on every "movie being made into a musical" thread. A League of Their Own NEEDS to be musicalized.

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015

SuzyQzy Profile Photo
SuzyQzy
#16re: Nightmare Before Christmas or Moulin Rouge Musical
Posted: 1/28/07 at 4:34pm

I would love Nightmare Before Christmas. Especially if some of the new rockier versions transfered in. Like Fall Out Boy's "What's This"

Know the Truth: www.wm3.org Until the West Memphis Three are free, none of us are free. -Margaret Cho I would imagine if you understood Morse Code, a tap dancer would drive you crazy

Gelfling Profile Photo
Gelfling
#17re: Nightmare Before Christmas or Moulin Rouge Musical
Posted: 1/29/07 at 5:10am

NBC would definitely be interesting... Moulin Rouge... I dunno... I thought the movie was bleh (don't shoot me please!) and I think it probably wouldn't work as well without all the screen gimmicks but I have to agree that NBC would be a tough one to stage.

"What book of rules says that theatre exists only within some ugly buildings crowded into one square-mile of New York City? Wherever there's magic and make-believe and an audience, there's theatre..."

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#18re: Nightmare Before Christmas or Moulin Rouge Musical
Posted: 1/29/07 at 8:30am

I've said in previous threads that I'd prefer to see Nightmare as a ballet similar to Movin' Out, with an orchestra and singers separate from the action on the stage. The film is so fluid and movement of the puppets so balletic (where do they find someone thin enough for Jack?!) that it would be a tough one to approach as a straight musical.

TinyDancer2
#19re: Nightmare Before Christmas or Moulin Rouge Musical
Posted: 1/29/07 at 11:00am

I agree, I can imagine NBC being amazing. The opening scene with all these eyes shining in the dark and the set would be gorgeous. I agree, very balletic. I think the songs would have to be amazing too.

Plus it would be SUCH a different musical for Disney to do. Mary Poppins, the Little Mermaid, Tarzan...finally something DIFFERENT.

Josephine2 Profile Photo
Josephine2
#20re: Nightmare Before Christmas or Moulin Rouge Musical
Posted: 1/29/07 at 11:18am

Just out of curiosity...

For those of you who envision Moulin Rouge as possible stage production, do you see it with music from the film or do you see new songs being created?

TinyDancer2
#21re: Nightmare Before Christmas or Moulin Rouge Musical
Posted: 1/29/07 at 12:18pm

They'd have to have come what may in there, it makes the show.

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#22re: Nightmare Before Christmas or Moulin Rouge Musical
Posted: 1/29/07 at 12:54pm

Even back when "Nightmare" first came out back in the early '90's I thought it would make a good stage musical.

However, with that said -- I would love to see Elfman write the score for a totally new musical theatre project.

"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." --Harold Hill from The Music Man

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#23re: Nightmare Before Christmas or Moulin Rouge Musical
Posted: 1/29/07 at 1:01pm

^Me too. Though I didn't like "Corpse Bride" as much but he's a very talented composer and I would love to see what he might do with something like...the novel "Wicked."

:S

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#24re: Nightmare Before Christmas or Moulin Rouge Musical
Posted: 1/29/07 at 1:01pm

MOULIN ROUGE hands down

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

Videos