Dames at Sea

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#1Dames at Sea
Posted: 2/18/07 at 11:23am

I'm in love with this score. How about a revival or and Encores production?

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#2re: Dames at Sea
Posted: 2/18/07 at 11:46am

My college may be doing it next year. I am not sure how I feel about that.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2re: Dames at Sea
Posted: 2/18/07 at 11:49am

It originated Off-Broadway -- never played Broadway, so it wouldn't really qualify as a revival, though most would (ala LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS).

City Centers Encore! Series only mounts concert stagings of Broadway shows. Again...DAMES AT SEA was an Off-Broadway production.

Here's Bernadette Peters in the original Off-Broadway production:
re: Dames at Sea

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#3re: Dames at Sea
Posted: 2/18/07 at 11:55am

Well, Encores seems to be moving in a new direction, so I wouldn't count it out.

Joelbeans
#4re: Dames at Sea
Posted: 2/18/07 at 11:58am

It is a very cute show. I did it in college and it's sort of 42nd Street meets Anything Goes....

Piercemn Profile Photo
Piercemn
#5re: Dames at Sea
Posted: 2/18/07 at 12:00pm

I appreciate this reminder. I'm planning on coming to NYC May 3-6 to see two operas at the Met, and I think I'll look for this with Ann Margret at the Museum of TV and Radio. Also going to try and see the original Once Upon a Mattress, since my boyfriend just directed a delightful production in Willmar, MN.

NYC Visitor and Broadway Fan

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#6re: Dames at Sea
Posted: 2/18/07 at 12:51pm

this show is cute :) though it took a bit to grow on me

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#8re: Dames at Sea
Posted: 2/18/07 at 1:35pm

I was just gonna mention that the show has been revived off-Broadway and Chenoweth played Bernadette Peters' role (which is funny since Brantley wrote something like "watching Kristin Chenoweth one knows what it must've been seeing a young Bernadette Peters in Dames at Sea," for his review of You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown).
I love this cast recording, it's such a spoof of the backstage musical of the 30s; I'm currently taking a history of film class and we studied the backstage musical and when I went back to the Dame at Sea cast recording I couldn't stop laughing. It's also great to listen to Bernadette Peters stealing the show though I really like Tamara Long (her "Good Times Are Here to Stay" is one of my favorite songs in the recording).

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Piercemn Profile Photo
Piercemn
#9re: Dames at Sea
Posted: 2/18/07 at 1:41pm

I had forgotten that I saw this done with an all-male cast, three of them in drag, and it was a total delight. It works as a drag show, too.

NYC Visitor and Broadway Fan

DryMartini Profile Photo
DryMartini
#10re: Dames at Sea
Posted: 2/18/07 at 2:14pm

I'd love to see Charles Busch play the older female part...hilarious.

mentaltenant Profile Photo
mentaltenant
#11re: Dames at Sea
Posted: 2/20/07 at 8:21pm

they did a tv version of this show with Ann-Margret (as Ruby), Anne Meara, and Ann Miller that was pretty fun.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0476980/

husk_charmer
#12re: Dames at Sea
Posted: 2/20/07 at 9:41pm

DryMartini-
If Busch could sing, he probably would.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#13re: Dames at Sea
Posted: 2/20/07 at 9:44pm

I hate this peice of sh*t show. We did it in high school and it was the most miserable thing I've ever done. Campy to the point of vomit!

RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~

ashleybrownfan
#14re: Dames at Sea
Posted: 2/21/07 at 9:38pm

I really like the show it was adodorable

Danielm
#15re: Dames at Sea
Posted: 2/22/07 at 1:43pm

I really like this show too. I think a Broadway revival would be a bad idea. I don't think it plays well in large theatres. It's a small cast and the few times I've seen it turned into a big show I think the spectacle killed it. It works best in small theatres with clever, but small sets and really talented performers.

Yes, we do need a third vampire musical.--Little Sally, Gypsy of the Year 2005.

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#16re: Dames at Sea
Posted: 2/13/08 at 6:29am

There are a couple of clips from the Ann-Margret tv version on yt.

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

philcrosby
#17re: Dames at Sea
Posted: 2/13/08 at 9:07am

It's a delightful show ... originally produced just at the time that people were re-discovering the great Busby Berkeley films in late-night screenings across the country (pre-home video, for you young'uns). The parody of that genre is spot-on.

It really does work best in a small space, with imaginative direction.

WestVillage Profile Photo
WestVillage
#18re: Dames at Sea
Posted: 2/13/08 at 10:28am

I saw Bernadette in Dames at Sea, and I loved it. What a fun show, and BP was just delightful. I agree with other posters ... it is too small and intimate a show for a huge Broadway theatre. I would love to see a revival, but at the Minetta Lane, Lucille Lortel or one of the theatres in New World Stages.

SamIAm Profile Photo
SamIAm
#19re: Dames at Sea
Posted: 2/13/08 at 12:40pm

I did Dames at Sea in an East Coast touring company when I was younger. It was a fun and wonderful experience. Love the show, though most would probably consider it corny and old-fashioned today.

"Life is a lesson in humility"

Jon
#20re: Dames at Sea
Posted: 2/13/08 at 3:01pm

The problem is that many audience members don't "get it". They say things like "Why wasn't there a chorus?", "This is like a cheap rip-off of 42nd Street" and thing like that.

At the time Dames at Sea was first produced, no one was doing big, old-fashioned tapdance musical on Broadway. Since then, we've had the No, No Nanette revival, My One and Only, the Anything Goes revival, 42nd Street (twice), Crazy for You, Thoroughly Modern Millie, Never Gonna Dance, etc. etc. etc. Why would anyone want a small cast, cheap parody of those shows?

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#21re: Dames at Sea
Posted: 2/13/08 at 3:07pm

I like this show too!

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

WestVillage Profile Photo
WestVillage
#22re: Dames at Sea
Posted: 2/13/08 at 3:11pm

"Why would anyone want a small cast, cheap parody of those shows?"

Well, you could say the same thing about Forbidden Broadway, and even with different versions, it been running for years. Dames is a cute and well-done spoof of the old Ruby Keeler/Joan Blondell/Dick Powell movie musicals (which are the names of the characters in Dames ... Ruby, Joan, Dick). Besides, the shows you list all came AFTER Dames, so Dames is not a parody of THOSE shows.

acrocksyo Profile Photo
acrocksyo
#23re: Dames at Sea
Posted: 2/14/08 at 12:33pm

Since BrodyFosse123 mentioned that Encores does off broadway how about http://www.playbill.com/news/article/115101.html. It seems like this would be a perfect show for that.

http://theaterfag.blogspot.com/ Reviews and the like

Videos