pixeltracker

Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister?

Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister?

Salad_Fingers85 Profile Photo
Salad_Fingers85
#1Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister?
Posted: 3/4/07 at 12:50am

I just finished reading the book, and personally enjoyed it much more than Wicked. The whole time I was reading though, I thought that it would make an excelent straight play. Anyone else who read this book agree? disagree? thoughts?

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#2re: Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister?
Posted: 3/4/07 at 12:52am

I thought the book was charming, and far more accessible than WICKED. It was made into a T.V. movie about 5 years ago - Stockard Channing played Margerethe. I didn't see it and it isn't shown that often, but I've heard it was quite good.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#2re: Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister?
Posted: 3/4/07 at 12:56am

It was a good read. I think that it would make an interesting musical, though different from Wicked certainly. I hope we don't see it on Broadway for some time though. It seems like a show that needs a more classical, more operetta-ish score. Wicked could have used a better score too, but I've gotten over that one.

Salad_Fingers85 Profile Photo
Salad_Fingers85
#3re: Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister?
Posted: 3/4/07 at 1:05am

I couldn't really see it as a musical, but if I did, I would love to see what Addam Guettel would do with it. I also agree it shouldn't be on Broadway for a while, it was just a thought.

Dre2387 Profile Photo
Dre2387
#4re: Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister?
Posted: 3/4/07 at 1:30am

yeah, the movie also has Jonathan Pryce.

<--- the set of A Midsummer Night's Dream that I was assistant stage manager for during the 2007 season at the STNJ outdoor stage.

-Dre-
You must remember all the same that at the crux of every game is knowing when it's time to leave the table... And it's important to be artful in your exit. No turning back, you must accept the con is done... It was a ball, it was a blast. And it's a shame it couldn't last. But every chapter has to end, you must agree.
~Dirty Rotten Scoundrels~

There's a special kind of people known as show people. We live in a world full of dreams. Sometimes we're not too certain what's false and what's real. But we're seldom in doubt about what we feel.
~Curtains~

It is a far, far better thing I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest I go to, than I have ever known.
~A Tale of Two Cities ~

Baine Profile Photo
Baine
#5re: Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister?
Posted: 3/4/07 at 1:39am

I remember that movie. I had to be somewhere that night and asked my roommate to tape it for me, but she missed the first half-hour or so. I never saw it aired again. Two other movies aired around that time, [i]Snow White[/i] and [i]The Princess of Thieves[/i] (I think that's the title) were also special ABC/Disney movies around that time that managed to make it to DVD. I wonder if they would have still released the DVDs if Kiera Knightly and Kristin Kreuk didn't get as popular as they did?

Then again, Stockard Channing and Jonathan Pryce were in this and they're pretty "popular." Why has it not made it to DVD? (Then again, would I buy it now? I think that I remember being at least dimly dissatisfied with it at the time....)

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#6re: Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister?
Posted: 3/4/07 at 10:44am

It was released on DVD less than 6 months after it aired on ABC TV. It can still be found in hords of Wal-Mart "Under $5" DVD bins.

Here is the DVD cover art:

re: Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister?

bwaylover86 Profile Photo
bwaylover86
#7re: Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister?
Posted: 3/4/07 at 11:42am

I really loved the book and I have to say I am curious now to see the movie but I looked everywhere and I guess it can't be bought online? Anyone know a way to get it besides taking a chance in the walmart $5 bins?

"That boy could use some Prozac"

vmlinnie
#8re: Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister?
Posted: 3/4/07 at 11:46am

I'm just reading Wicked now, but I have Confessions, I got it for Christmas. I'm redaing it after Les Mis, which is after The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, which is after Son of a Witch, which is after Wicked. I'll get back to you in a year!

The rain we knew is a thing of the past -
deep-delving, dark, deliberate you would say
browsing on spire and bogland; but today
our sky-blue slates are steaming in the sun,
our yachts tinkling and dancing in the bay
like racehorses. We contemplate at last
shining windows, a future forbidden to no one.

Derek Mahon

"Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."

Arthur Miller

dramaqueen2 Profile Photo
dramaqueen2
#9re: Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister?
Posted: 3/4/07 at 12:40pm

i have had this thought as well.
and i most certainly agree. a very good book, i like maguire's take on things.. =)

hear my song; it was made for the time when you don't know where to go, listen to the song that i sing, you'll be fine..

husk_charmer
#10re: Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister?
Posted: 3/4/07 at 2:45pm

I had NO idea it was on DVD. I personally REALLY liked it (however I have a big thing for Stockard Channing in anything)...must find this.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

SarahBeth Profile Photo
SarahBeth
#11re: Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister?
Posted: 3/4/07 at 3:54pm

I adored this book. I didn't know it was made into a movie. I guess I'll be heading to Wal-Mart soon to dig through DVD bins. Does it hold true to the book?

"I'll show you a laughgasm. I'll gasm all over this stage!"
"Interesting choice"