pixeltracker

How much do b'way stars get paid?- Page 2

How much do b'way stars get paid?

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#25re: How much do b'way stars get paid?
Posted: 3/24/07 at 2:28pm

Thesbijean-i have to disagree with you. John Tartaglia is a big name for disney. I can only imagine how many parents took their kids to see BATB because "johnny" was in it. Smart move by disney.

Thesbijean
#26re: How much do b'way stars get paid?
Posted: 3/24/07 at 2:30pm

How is he a big name for Disney? Are you kidding me? You think the tourists from Oklahoma and Wisconsin who make up 80% of BATB's audience know who he is? Yeah right. They cast him cause he's a talented guy, and I'm sure if he brought in a small percentage of audience members, that's always great too.

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#27re: How much do b'way stars get paid?
Posted: 3/24/07 at 2:30pm

"Do you know for sure who is gonna win? let alone be nominated? I'm sure you are a crazy GG fan, but just give it a rest. I said "should" because of course she might not."

I'm not a crazy Grey Gardens fan but do enjoy the score. I think you should check competition for all the actresses up for a nomination. I'm not a biased person.

Thesbijean
#28re: How much do b'way stars get paid?
Posted: 3/24/07 at 2:33pm

Haha. You are the only person arguing. Whether you want to accept it or not, the Tony clause is in her contract, that's all I said. I don't know if she will get nommed let alone win, but should she be fortunate to get a nomination, her paycheck will increase.

That's all I am saying. Stop trying to start arguments, thanks.

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#29re: How much do b'way stars get paid?
Posted: 3/24/07 at 2:39pm

I was not trying to make an argument in the first place but I did misread your post. I thought you said "she should win," or something along the lines of that.

MargoChanning
#30re: How much do b'way stars get paid?
Posted: 3/24/07 at 2:55pm

Minimum for Off-Broadway is nowhere near $965 (that's about what the LORT A BROADWAY minimum is for people in shows at MTC, Lincoln Center's Beaumont and Roundabout's AA & Studio 54).

The off-Broadway Equity minimum depends on the size of the house (capacity can be anywhere from 100 to 499 seats) and is typically less than half that. I've had friends who've been in shows at The Public, Playwrights, Vineyard, Second Stage, The Atlantic et al, as well as commercial off-Broadway houses like Union Square and the old Promenade and Century (before they closed) and they usually made between between $300 and $600 a week -- even in starring roles (one friend made even less than that for a role he won an Obie for).

And FYI -- there is no Equity minimum for Off-Off-Broadway (black box theaters with fewer than 100 seats) and actors are typically paid either nothing or the equivalent of cab fare (though they might occasionally get a few hundred dollars for an entire 4 or 5 week run).

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 3/26/07 at 02:55 PM

Thesbijean
#31re: How much do b'way stars get paid?
Posted: 3/24/07 at 2:58pm

Yeah, well, when you're Off Off, you should be lucky if they pay you in peanuts...

flutesinger2626 Profile Photo
flutesinger2626
#32re: How much do b'way stars get paid?
Posted: 3/25/07 at 9:20pm

Idina got paid 30,000 plus accomidations to do wicked in London, I know theres an article somewhere that said that Idina was the highest paid actress in westend history

Q:What advice do you have for aspiring Broadway stars who are terminally shy? I love your work, because you seem so bold. How do you do it? A:"I think I take more chances on stage then I do in real life but you can't learn anything if you don't challenge yourself. And don't say "terminally". If you love to perform then you have no choice, just keep training and focus on the words or the music whenever you find yourself slipping back inside yourself. You're not doing anyone any favors if you withhold your talents from the world"- Idina Menzel

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#33re: How much do b'way stars get paid?
Posted: 3/25/07 at 11:43pm

The "Off-off Broadway"(aka the showcase code) contract is sometomes referred to as the "Tokens" contract because that is what you used to get as payment-subway tokens.
I love how every thee months we talk about the same things-Idina's salary, getting into equity auditions, non-union tours,etc. I haven't even been on this board a year and I have seen this topic at least three times.

I love this board!

Other than that, did you enjoy the play Mrs Lincoln?

Elphie4ever Profile Photo
Elphie4ever
#34re: How much do b'way stars get paid?
Posted: 3/25/07 at 11:45pm

so i might want to get into theater/broadway (i know that everyone is saying its tough)
what is the average pay for an esemble?
because i kno that the leads and principal characters get paid the most?
also is the wage determined by how successful the musical/show is?

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#35re: How much do b'way stars get paid?
Posted: 3/25/07 at 11:51pm

Where are you getting these numbers for Idina's salary? Someone who worked on the show when she was there told me she made around $30,000 post-Tony, and in her extension after that, even more. It's not at all far-fetched, considering the producers paid her $30,000 a week plus living expenses for her run in London--which had pretty much sold out before she was even signed on.

friedrichVT
#36re: How much do b'way stars get paid?
Posted: 3/26/07 at 2:13am

John Tartaglia is known by very few...we,in the theatre circle and most recently some parents and children who in the past year have met him through his Disney show. I'm sure he isn't crying poverty BUT Lumiere does not pay as much as you may think. He is a producer of his Disney show so hopefully he will bank some from that but, get a grip folks, Disney is using Beast as a marketing tool for his newly born series. He ain't a millionire yet. And not the STAR you wish him to be.

Mistress_Spouzic Profile Photo
Mistress_Spouzic
#37re: How much do b'way stars get paid?
Posted: 3/26/07 at 3:27am

ya know im pretty sure all the equity *minimums* are listed on the equity website, for bway, off broadway, lort, disney, etc. if you really wanna know, look there.

Scaulter
#38re: How much do b'way stars get paid?
Posted: 3/26/07 at 3:42am

If John Tartaglia is known, it might be because he was in Avenue Q. Still, I have to ask why people want to know what stars make either in movies or on Broadway. They're there, enjoy their performances if you like them and see them. Otherwise, really, it's none of our business what they make.

Though, this might be contradictory, the Off Broadway and Broadway minimums are interesting. And I once volunteered at an Off Off Broadway theatre. So yeah, can't really see them getting a lot. Though I think there was some contracts some time ago when my mother did an Off Off Broadway show, that she got $50 a performance. I think that was with an Equity showcase contract. And it was a long time ago.

elphaba.scares.me Profile Photo
elphaba.scares.me
#39re: How much do b'way stars get paid?
Posted: 3/26/07 at 10:04am

I don't think there's anything wrong with this conversation, and as a Broadway actor, I'm not offended by it. We hear so often about reported movie salaries...I think it's reasonable for people who want to be in the business to figure out what kind of salary they're aspiring to.

Bottom line, the least-compensated job on Broadway pays the equity minimum. From that, you pay your agent, pay your taxes, pay your union dues, etc. So if you're making minimum, expect to take home $800-900/week. It's not a luxurious income, particularly considering that you have to live in New York. Otherwise, salaries vary widely, as has been reported elsewhere in the thread.

I've never done Off-Broadway, but I would speculate that it's almost impossible to live on the salary over a long period of time without supplementing it with concerts or some other work.

If you're starring in a Broadway show (or have a nice supporting role), you actually make a good living for as long as your contract lasts, but then you have to go out and find another job...not as easy as it may sound.

A parting thought: a friend once told me that there are an estimated 30,000 actors in New York and 900 jobs on Broadway. It's kind of depressing, when you think about it, that you can claw your way up and maybe still have trouble paying the bills.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#40re: How much do b'way stars get paid?
Posted: 3/26/07 at 10:50am

Idina got that much, and never was able to hit those AAAIIIAAAIIIAAA notes at the end of Defying Gravity...amazing!

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

morganastyle
#41re: How much do b'way stars get paid?
Posted: 3/26/07 at 9:56pm

Off broadway is nowhere near the $900 range. Min in in the $500's. Very low. Most contracts are discussed. You can make higher depending on the ...(size of cast, how long the run is, and if you have a good agent that will fight for you!)

MargoChanning
#42re: How much do b'way stars get paid?
Posted: 3/26/07 at 10:03pm

As I said in my post, the off-Broadway minimum is closer to $300 than $500, depending on the size of the theatre (Equity sets the minimum for each house -- producers may, of course, pay more than the minimum in certain cases). I have plenty of friends who have played in high profile, well-reviewed, award-winning productions with some of the most established and respected off-Broadway companies, who made quite a bit less than $500/week and would have been grateful to make that much.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 3/26/07 at 10:03 PM

BobPopa Profile Photo
BobPopa
#43re: How much do b'way stars get paid?
Posted: 3/26/07 at 10:11pm

Don't remember exact figure. But the highest per weekly I recall was when Glen Close was in Sunset Boulevard I believe she was in the $50k per week range, which was at the time as still is extraordinary. Of course she had to be compensated well since Patti LuPone received $1Million to not go to Broadway

"He wants to know who cares. I care you stupid fool we all care..." John Wilkes Booth (Assassins)

desiree armfeldt Profile Photo
desiree armfeldt
#44re: How much do b'way stars get paid?
Posted: 3/26/07 at 10:29pm

i love how someone suggested that idina got half a million dollars. thats HI-larious

pants2 Profile Photo
pants2
#45re: How much do b'way stars get paid?
Posted: 3/26/07 at 10:39pm

I know for a fact that the full-time elphabas make $40k per week. My friend who knows Idina (he worked on the crew of both the original Rent and worked for Wicked, he's obviously an employee of the Nederlander Organization) told me this. He also told me that before Idina won the tony, kristin made the $40k, and Idina only made (I use the term only made loosely) $35k a week, which I thought was odd since they seemed so qual.

And as far as logic goes, the show makes something like $1.3 million a week per prouction so I hardly think $40k is alot...

Can, can I have it?

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#46re: How much do b'way stars get paid?
Posted: 3/26/07 at 10:40pm

$40K per week?

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

pants2 Profile Photo
pants2
#47re: How much do b'way stars get paid?
Posted: 3/26/07 at 10:46pm

Oh I'm sorry, was the 2 digit number with the k next to it funny? Or was it just you trying to impress some people by proving the some sort of point that you know best and therefore what I say MUST be incorrect?

Can, can I have it?

TheatreDiva612 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva612
#48re: How much do b'way stars get paid?
Posted: 3/26/07 at 10:47pm

LOL.

pants2 Profile Photo
pants2
#49re: How much do b'way stars get paid?
Posted: 3/26/07 at 10:51pm

ooooo impressive. a simple LOL is always a nice way to really prove how your intelligence completely puts what I say to shame. so i guess now I'm supposed to be like "oh god she think my opinions are a joke oh no"?

Can, can I have it?