pixeltracker

How much do b'way stars get paid?- Page 3

How much do b'way stars get paid?

thtrteacher
#50re: How much do b'way stars get paid?
Posted: 3/26/07 at 10:54pm

"And as far as logic goes, the show makes something like $1.3 million a week per prouction so I hardly think $40k is alot..."

Actually, it is a lot. I just counted the rest of the cast on their website. There are 35 other cast members in the show besides Elphaba and Glinda. So 35 salaries there, plus dressers, prop people, sound, lighting, stage managers, etc.

40K is ALOT

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#51re: How much do b'way stars get paid?
Posted: 3/26/07 at 10:56pm

ooooo impressive. a simple LOL is always a nice way to really prove how your intelligence completely puts what I say to shame. so i guess now I'm supposed to be like "oh god she think my opinions are a joke oh no"?

LOL

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#52re: How much do b'way stars get paid?
Posted: 3/26/07 at 10:58pm

Ooooh, I'm scared now. You told me off with your incredible wit.

re: How much do b'way stars get paid?

As Margo has posted before, the stars of Wicked hardly make $40K. Consider that Julia Roberst made $50K in Three Days of Rain. She is a major movie star. The stars of Wicked are barely known outside of theatrical circles. They most likely make around $4,000 to $5,000.

So, I hold by my BAHAHAHAHA.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.
Updated On: 3/26/07 at 10:58 PM

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#53re: How much do b'way stars get paid?
Posted: 3/26/07 at 10:59pm

Becoz, hell DID freeze over..it was when Patti LuPone lost to LaChanze! Well at least it did for me re: How much do b'way stars get paid?

pants2 Profile Photo
pants2
#54re: How much do b'way stars get paid?
Posted: 3/26/07 at 11:04pm

thtrteacher, if you think about it, since most of the other actors make 2k-6k (maybe? estimate), I still think it's possible. But, being as we don;t know how much they all make, we may never know. (though my friend did tell me $40k.)

Can, can I have it?

elphaba.scares.me Profile Photo
elphaba.scares.me
#55re: How much do b'way stars get paid?
Posted: 3/26/07 at 11:33pm

pants, all due respect, but your friend had bad information. there is no way in hell that either of those girls made $40K a week, either before or after the tony.

i might (MIGHT!) be willing to listen to someone speculate that kristin made $40K an MONTH, which would be $10/week, but i still doubt it.

you have to remember that it's a big deal for an actress to originate a lead role on broadway, especially since neither of those actresses had carried a hit broadway show before. producers know that, and it impacts their initial offer.

if i had to guess, based on the industry and gossip, i would speculate that both kristin and idina made somewhere in the $5-8,000/week range, with idina getting a nice bump after she won her tony. when she renegotiated to stay after her initial contract ran out (for a few months, right?), she would have had more leverage to get a better deal.

WickedForever2 Profile Photo
WickedForever2
#56re: How much do b'way stars get paid?
Posted: 3/27/07 at 2:33am

Plus, if Idina had made $40,000 after her Tony win on Broadway, why would she take the pay cut to $30,000 for London?

KQuill Profile Photo
KQuill
#57re: How much do b'way stars get paid?
Posted: 3/27/07 at 9:25am

I wonder if her and Taye signed a pre-nup...

Cuz ya know...that's probably our business too.

BobPopa Profile Photo
BobPopa
#58re: How much do b'way stars get paid?
Posted: 3/27/07 at 10:25am

They didn't make 40k a week.

I don't care who told you so, and "no name" replacements aren't going to make what the orginial did (Unless the show runs 20 years and they have to cuz the minimum has jumped so high)

Very few people make an extremely high paycheck on Broadway: Julie Roberts, Glenn Close (In S.B.), Nathan Lane & Matthew Broderick(When they returned to The Producers), Kevin Spacey (In the Upcoming Moon) these are the ones there have been actually press about. A couple of others probably didn't fare so bad -- Bernadette Peters in Gypsy, Martin Short in Fame Becomes Me, Billy Crystal in 700 Sundays..of course the last two got more then Salaries.

"He wants to know who cares. I care you stupid fool we all care..." John Wilkes Booth (Assassins)

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#59re: How much do b'way stars get paid?
Posted: 3/27/07 at 11:22am

I believe that when Ethel Merman starred in GYPSY (1959-1961) she was making $5,000 per week plus a percentage of the gross. She deserved it! The gross for that time would be in the $60,000 range. I must have read those figures in Variety.

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#60re: How much do b'way stars get paid?
Posted: 3/27/07 at 1:05pm

The chandelier in PHANTOM made $400/week when the show originally opened. Each year, they added another zero to its salary. Can you guess how much it makes per week, today?

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

KQuill Profile Photo
KQuill
#61re: How much do b'way stars get paid?
Posted: 3/27/07 at 1:25pm

...haha?

thtrteacher
#62re: How much do b'way stars get paid?
Posted: 3/27/07 at 11:34pm

"thtrteacher, if you think about it, since most of the other actors make 2k-6k (maybe? estimate), I still think it's possible. But, being as we don;t know how much they all make, we may never know. (though my friend did tell me $40k.)"

Your friend was wrong. The cast members that I mentioned, stage hands, etc. aren't even the half of it. Think about insurance costs, a portion goes to Equity, bills of the theatre. There is a lot there that you aren't thinking about. Your friend either doesn't know what he is talking about or is grossly exaggerating.