pixeltracker

Forced Intermission at Drowsy 3/29/07 (spoilers ahead)

Forced Intermission at Drowsy 3/29/07 (spoilers ahead)

mint0621 Profile Photo
mint0621
#1Forced Intermission at Drowsy 3/29/07 (spoilers ahead)
Posted: 3/30/07 at 8:07am

I saw Drowsy Chaperone (for the 2nd time) last night...something out of the ordinary happened, which was sorta fun.

When Crombie was doing his speech on how he hates intermissions, and starts the 2nd record (while he excuses himself to use the bathroom)...the audience waited for a few seconds for the music to start.

It never did. Crombie soon comes out, and said "I know I just told you I hated intermissions, but we are going to take an ACTUAL intermission right now."

The rumor (from the orchestra pit members) is that there was a technical issue backstage...there was something wrong with the elevator.

The intermission was not too long...and the show began up again. Crombie came out on stage, saying, "See what I mean?? I hate intermissions...you get thrown back into reality." He continues to eat his "Nutri-Grain" bar...(very funny actually...he took a while) and then, he walks over to the record player to start the 2nd record.

He excuses himself AGAIN...saying "I know I told you I went to the bathroom, but please excuse me, I need to flush."

The improv was very very funny. Crombie did a great job of keeping the atmosphere light in the midst of technical problems. The rest of the show was flawless, glad to see that Beth Leavel, Danny Burnstein, Sutton Foster, and Georgia Engel continue to "bring it" every night, and no fatigue was apparent. The new cast members are a great addition and totally on top of their game. I especially enjoyed "Underling"'s performance. While I miss Bob Martin's performance...Jonathan Crombie is also a delight.

According to a cast member, this was the 2nd time ever they had to do an intermission. It was still a great night at the theater, even if you had to face the women's bathroom line!!!
Updated On: 3/30/07 at 08:07 AM

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#2re: Technical Issue at Drowsy 3/29/07 (spoilers ahead)
Posted: 3/30/07 at 8:13am

Very fun! How long was the unplanned intermission?

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

mint0621 Profile Photo
mint0621
#2re: Technical Issue at Drowsy 3/29/07 (spoilers ahead)
Posted: 3/30/07 at 8:15am

I don't remember re: Technical Issue at Drowsy 3/29/07 (spoilers ahead) I would guess around 20 min?

jochang621 Profile Photo
jochang621
#3re: Technical Issue at Drowsy 3/29/07 (spoilers ahead)
Posted: 3/30/07 at 11:29am

how funny! wish i was there. i'd do anything to see jonathan crombie perform, he is definitely selling a fair number of tickets.

who knew that gilbert blythe could be so funny?

gimmegimmelove Profile Photo
gimmegimmelove
#4re: Technical Issue at Drowsy 3/29/07 (spoilers ahead)
Posted: 3/30/07 at 11:33am

i was there the first time they forced an intermission. it was very well done and the improv was great! this was back in december.

***You see I think im falling for that crazy smile of yours***

jochang621 Profile Photo
jochang621
#5re: Technical Issue at Drowsy 3/29/07 (spoilers ahead)
Posted: 3/30/07 at 11:47am

does anyone know what happened? what the technical difficulties were?

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#6re: Technical Issue at Drowsy 3/29/07 (spoilers ahead)
Posted: 3/30/07 at 11:52am

I am more interested in knowing what the "spoilers" are. Is it that there is not normally an intermission?
Also why you think Crombie is "definitely selling a fair number of tickets?"

PEACE.

EverythingIsRENT Profile Photo
EverythingIsRENT
#7re: Technical Issue at Drowsy 3/29/07 (spoilers ahead)
Posted: 3/30/07 at 11:57am

I saw it on Wednesday night too but that didn't happen...are you sure it wasn't Thursday night? you really confused me. In any case, I ADORE Jonathan Crombie and was so thrilled to see him on stage!! he was super sweet at thestage door but my pic came out blurry =(

Sunchips: Best Kept Secret in the chip aisle!!

mint0621 Profile Photo
mint0621
#8re: Technical Issue at Drowsy 3/29/07 (spoilers ahead)
Posted: 3/30/07 at 12:00pm

Everything is Rent, unless I am mistaken, 3/29 was last night, Thurs evening.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#9re: Technical Issue at Drowsy 3/29/07 (spoilers ahead)
Posted: 3/30/07 at 12:11pm

I walked by after the show and there was a Marching Band at the Stage Door.
What was that about?

mint0621 Profile Photo
mint0621
#10re: Technical Issue at Drowsy 3/29/07 (spoilers ahead)
Posted: 3/30/07 at 12:26pm

we had no idea what the band was about.

someone said the band was in the audience at drowsy, but can't imagine those tubas being allowed into the theater.

bially082 Profile Photo
bially082
#12re: Technical Issue at Drowsy 3/29/07 (spoilers ahead)
Posted: 3/30/07 at 12:53pm

I've seen the thing 5 times and no intermission for me. re: Technical Issue at Drowsy 3/29/07 (spoilers ahead) Sad Face

You are young, life has been kind to you. You will learn.

lesmisforever Profile Photo
lesmisforever
#13re: Technical Issue at Drowsy 3/29/07 (spoilers ahead)
Posted: 3/30/07 at 1:00pm

That sounds like it was a hoot!

"I have a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!"

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#14re: Technical Issue at Drowsy 3/29/07 (spoilers ahead)
Posted: 3/30/07 at 1:39pm

"I am more interested in knowing what the "spoilers" are. Is it that there is not normally an intermission?"

Yes, Sueleen, that's the spoiler here. There is normally a false intermission in the show. They "break between acts" but the audience doesn't leave the theatre. It doesn't come as a surprise that this show is actually a one-act, since it's identified as one in the lobby and/or the program.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

misschung
#15re: Technical Issue at Drowsy 3/29/07 (spoilers ahead)
Posted: 3/30/07 at 5:10pm

does anyone know what happened? what the technical difficulties were?

the platform in the center of the stage with the lift that rises from belowstage got stuck, so the "sunroof" that closes over it couldn't close. and they couldnt keep it open because otherwise there would be a gaping hole in the middle of the stage for the rest of the show.

i work for the properties guy on that show - he called me last night at like 9 and was like "I'm going to be late tonight - somethings broken" lol

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?

mint0621 Profile Photo
mint0621
#16re: Technical Issue at Drowsy 3/29/07 (spoilers ahead)
Posted: 3/30/07 at 5:53pm

thanks misschung! I saw Kecia Lewis-Evans come on stage from the side, crouching toward the ground, "pretending" she was coming from beneath the stage.

e Profile Photo
e
#17re: Technical Issue at Drowsy 3/29/07 (spoilers ahead)
Posted: 3/30/07 at 7:18pm

I was there too. I was just very glad that the intermission was indeed for a technical issue and not in order to put an understudy in for anyone. Everyone was great, and although Jonathon Crombie is no Bob Martin, I thought he did a great job.. So did Sutton Foster, its been said a lot that she's been "phoning in", but I thought she was wonderful and still was very enthusiastic about the show.

mint0621, I also saw the band at the stage door. Could you hear them performing during the final scene of the show? During the Man in Chair's last lines before curtain call where everything's supposed to be quiet, I thought I heard music or loud noises... was that what that was?

Bdwy24
#18re: Technical Issue at Drowsy 3/29/07 (spoilers ahead)
Posted: 3/30/07 at 8:28pm

Beth leavel was out of the matinee when I saw the show on Sunday. It was nice to finally see though. It will do well on the road, I hope.

mint0621 Profile Photo
mint0621
#19re: Technical Issue at Drowsy 3/29/07 (spoilers ahead)
Posted: 3/30/07 at 11:40pm

e, thankfully i was not able to hear the band during the show.

Videos