Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical- Page 2

Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#25re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 3/31/07 at 7:18am

"As of this moment, Grey Gardens should take the prize. It is a masterpiece."

I wholeheartedly agree!
It is a remarkable experience as an audience member to witness such a compelling piece of theater. I've never seen anything quite like it. It is a brilliant show with exquisite music. I doubt it will win, but only time will tell.

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#26re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 3/31/07 at 8:26am

There's the small matter of a genius named Hal Prince to bear in mind.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#27re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 3/31/07 at 8:46am

Hannah from Hamburg wrote: "Beauty was basically shutout from noms. It got 5 or 6, but only won for costumes. It wasn't even nominated for Best Musical, which was a slap in Disney's face."

Beauty and the Beast was nominated for nine 1994 Tony Awards, including Best Musical.

Best Musical
Best Book of a Musical
Best Original Score
Best Actor in a Musical (Terrence Mann)
Best Actress in a Musical (Susan Egan)
Best Featured Actor in a Musical (Gary Beach)
Best Costume Design (Ann Hould Ward)
Best Lighting Design (Natasha Katz)
Best Direction of a Musical (Robert Jess Roth)

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

buddharich
#28re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 3/31/07 at 8:54am

I predict the 4 nominees will be: Curtains, Grey Gardens, Lovemusik, and Spring Awakening.

High Fidelity, Legally Blonde, Mary Poppins, The Pirate Queen, and The Times Are A-Changin' - any other new musicals? I don't get this love for Legally Blonde? Am I missing something? I will be surprised if the reviews are strong for it.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#29re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 3/31/07 at 9:09am

The out of town reviews were very strong.
But again The reviewers are not the TONY nominators.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#30re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 3/31/07 at 10:00am

I really hope GG wins. It's such an incredibly moving experience.

....but the world goes 'round

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#31re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 3/31/07 at 10:04am

My money would be on GREY GARDENS.

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#32re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 3/31/07 at 10:29am

Smaxie -- thanks for the correction (sorry for my error). Still, if MP and BATB were up against each other, I'd give all the awards to BATB. MP is a huge disappointment.

". . . POP . . ."

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#33re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 3/31/07 at 10:37am

thats the thing--it is BETTER than hairspray!

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#34re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 3/31/07 at 11:40am

At this point in time, I'd say:

Curtains
Grey Gardens
Lovemusik
Spring Awakening

My money to win is on Curtains, because I think it has great touring possibilities.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Lizzya9
#35re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 3/31/07 at 3:32pm

well none of you are tony judges or officials, so don't say "this person's definetely going to win", or "this show will not get anything" none of you have a clue until the night of the tonys. its fine to make predictions, but don't go around saying stuff that you have no clue about. sure, you may have liked it, but that doesn't mean the show will win or even get a nomination. don't make assumptions.

dramaqueen2 Profile Photo
dramaqueen2
#36re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 3/31/07 at 3:38pm

good lord neither.
curtains was good and all, but it wasn't that good. or shall i say, it wasn't better than spring awakening or grey gardens.

yikes.

hear my song; it was made for the time when you don't know where to go, listen to the song that i sing, you'll be fine..

#37re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 3/31/07 at 5:24pm

I have seen both GG and SA and I believe that Spring Awakening should win hands down. I thought that GG was good, but I was not as moved by it as much as most people were.

neddyfrank2
#38re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 3/31/07 at 5:26pm

Lizzy- Shut the hell up and go the hell away

jg4892
#39re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 3/31/07 at 5:39pm

Neddy- Lizzy didn't say anything wrong or offensive. That was rude and really uncalled for.

Yankeefan007
#40re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 3/31/07 at 5:52pm

Lizzy - assuming who the Tony winners/nominees are is not at all a hard thing to do. It's a matter of a few things: how good or bad the reviews for that show/person are, the amount of awards they've won for their performance, and, in the case of the show itself, how well a show will tour. The Tony voters are made up, in many cases, by various road producers, all of whom want to book the winning show in their venues.

Right now, it's very safe to assume wins for Christine Ebersole and Mary Louise Wilson, who've garnered now 2 seasons of praise for their work in Grey Gardens.

A show like Mary Poppins would most likely not be nominated because it wasn't well received. Spring Awakening and Grey Gardens are tough sells in the midwest, but they will be nominated, since they were the best reviewed shows of the year.

Something like Curtains or Legally Blonde will win, if the voting system goes the way it usually does. Spamalot was hardly the best musical of 2005, Jersey Boys was hardly the best musical of 2006. Millie was definitely not the best show of 2002.

gymdudeva
#41re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 3/31/07 at 6:48pm

Lizzy,

In a discussion, people very often say such things as "This will never happen" or "That will definitely happen". In doing so, they are not being know-it-alls, and don't presume to know anything special. It is just a common form of speech, a shorthand for saying "I feel strongly that....". Such opinions, even expressed as such, are one of the raisons d'etre of a board like this.

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#42re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 3/31/07 at 6:56pm

Don't pay attention to Lizzy. She does this all the time just to get attention and thread jack.

Back to the topic, Curtains is a definitive lock for best musical. Sure Legally Blonde reviews were positive out of town but that was out of town. New York critics are harsher. I'm not putting down the show just saying that the critics are harsher in New York.
*edited for grammar. Updated On: 3/31/07 at 06:56 PM

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#43re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 3/31/07 at 7:04pm

For me, the locks at this point are:
Spring Awakening
Grey Gardens
Curtains

I figure the last spot will go to Legally Blonde or LoveMusik. I really hope Spring Awakening wins. I just adore and I'm proud to say that I saw it and fell in love with it before all of the major hype.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#44re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 3/31/07 at 7:17pm

Please dont judge Legally Blonde until you have seen it as i think your going to be very surprised

How can everyone be saying LoveMusik?

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#45re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 3/31/07 at 7:20pm

I think the conclusion that LoveMusik will be nominated is probably due to it's all star cast and director.

wonderfulwizard11
#46re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 3/31/07 at 7:23pm

And don't forget the Weil's music.

As was said, Lovemusik is being predicted because of it's fantastic creative team and cast.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#47re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 3/31/07 at 7:24pm

I think Legally Blonde will get nominated and I woudn't be surprised if it won, it very well could be another Hairspray!

Updated On: 3/31/07 at 07:24 PM

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#48re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 3/31/07 at 7:30pm

has anyone heard the LoveMusik score or seen any of the show

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

wonderfulwizard11
#49re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 3/31/07 at 7:40pm

Yes, we have heard the Lovemusik score. They are all previously written Kurt Veil songs.

And while no one has seen the show yet, I do remember someone posting something about very positive buzz from a workshop. I'll see if I can find the thread.

ETA: Found the thread. Scroll down.
Click Here

Updated On: 3/31/07 at 07:40 PM