Aida Revival?

Glory Profile Photo
Glory
#1Aida Revival?
Posted: 4/8/07 at 2:49pm

Does anyone think that this show could possibly be revived not soon, but in the future? I think the music and the story is just amazing. I loved the show and i'm dissapointed I never saw it in NYC, but I think it would be a successful revival.

husk_charmer
#2re: Aida Revival?
Posted: 4/8/07 at 3:02pm

In 20 years, maybe. Right now, no.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#2re: Aida Revival?
Posted: 4/8/07 at 3:05pm

This is a show that definitely has a future.

I wouldn't be surprised if Disney has this on the list to "look at again" for opportunities for a film version, whether it be feature, television, or feature animation.

It was originally intended for an animated film. If Disney doesn't do a film, I'd expect a Broadway revival were to come about in 7 years.

ETA: I *love* this show. However, I would cut "Another Pyramid." Perhaps the original staging was the turn-off, but I don't see anyone doing anything to this song that would make it worthy to keep. It adds nothing that dialogue can't do. It's a poor excuse for a flashy dance break. CUT THIS SONG.

If that number weren't in the show, I think critics would have been more forgiving for the other "tween" elements to the show, such as th fashion show break in "My Strongest Suit" (and perhaps that whole number, though it works).

Somewhere in AIDA is a perfect show. It's very very moving. Great music. Great story. And the original cast was terriffic, especially Heather Headley. She deserved that Tony.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle
Updated On: 4/8/07 at 03:05 PM

antonijan Profile Photo
antonijan
#3re: Aida Revival?
Posted: 4/8/07 at 3:12pm

I would like to see it as an animation like Beauty and the Beast :P

OOTI2004 Profile Photo
OOTI2004
#4re: Aida Revival?
Posted: 4/8/07 at 3:17pm

I agree with you CapnHook, they should cut Another Pyramid. Personally, I can't stand Like Father, Like Son either. The second act has such amazing songs and then the only song I skip when listening to the OBC comes up. Other thean those two songs I love the show, even though the dialouge can get a little cheesy.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#5re: Aida Revival?
Posted: 4/8/07 at 3:24pm

AIDA is a case of the book being stronger than the score. The story, as always. The score is not very strong. None of the somes are standouts and many are quite dull. Have any of these songs become standards outside of the show, or even become popular audition pieces?

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#6re: Aida Revival?
Posted: 4/8/07 at 3:25pm

Like Father, Like Son is an OK song, however it's true - it doesn't fit in the show. I would replace that section with a new song or with dialogue.

The father character needs work overall. All of his songs suck.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#7re: Aida Revival?
Posted: 4/8/07 at 3:42pm

frontrowcentre2, that opinion shocks me. I haven't met anyone who doesn't like the score.

"Every Story Is A Love Story/Fortune Favors The Brave" is a wonderful introduction of a musical number, though on its own isn't much because it is a story-telling song.

All songs thru "Dance of the Robe" are dull in the respects that they are very much story-telling/character songs. Once we get to "Dance of the Robe," most of the rest of the songs are OUTSTANDING emotion songs.

"Dance of the Robe," "Not Me," "Elaborate Lives," "The Gods Love Nubia," "A Step Too Far," "Easy As Life," "Written In The Stars," "I Know The Truth," and the "Enchantment Passing Through (Reprise)" are all brilliant. The highlights of the score. Extremely memorable.

And "Every Story Is A Love Story (Reprise)" is a wonderful closing to the story.

I don't have a problem with the score on its own - it's the placement/choices I have issue with. All of Radames' father's songs are horrible and distracting from the main plot in a bad way. The other songs are more for fun/character build. They are the lest interesting to the story, which hurt the show. The emotion songs, in my opinion, make up for everything (except for "Another Pyramid").

--Aristotle

Ariella Profile Photo
Ariella
#8re: Aida Revival?
Posted: 4/8/07 at 3:43pm

I agree - Zoser is more or less a cardboard character, and he was saddled with 2 of the most cringe-worthy numbers of the show.

In the future, I would love to see Aida again. I have some wonderful memories of it, and the original cast was, in my opinion, fantastic. Heather Headley absolutely deserved her Tony, and Adam Pascal's vocals especially were great. The show was a beautiful spectacle. Were there problems? Yes. In a revival, several of the numbers ("Another Pyramid," "Like Father, Like Son," "Fortune Favors the Brave" to name a few) could be cleaned up a bit, and some kinks in the book could be worked out. However, I think all the core material was good - that certainly isn't enough to make a show, but Aida had a lot of potential. This potential was apparent in some parts of the show more than others.

Frontrowcentre - while Aida may not have contributed any complete standout songs, it did quite well with "Elaborate Lives." That number was performed at the My Favorite Broadway: the Love Songs concert (2000) by Pascal and Headley.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#9re: Aida Revival?
Posted: 4/8/07 at 3:44pm

Preach it, Ariella!

--Aristotle

eatlasagna
#10re: Aida Revival?
Posted: 4/8/07 at 3:51pm

add me to the list of people who love this show but did realize its faults were with the zoser character (as well as that god awful choreography that went with both of those numbers!!!)... but unlike Capn... i would say the music starts at Strongest Suit... that fashion show was hilarious and i think added a lot to the character of Amneris... it was a fun number... after the score is beautiful... i think it deserved the Tony Award for best score...

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#11re: Aida Revival?
Posted: 4/8/07 at 3:55pm

eatlasagna, I respectfully disagree, however I do see that view. That number is very very fun and I did enjoy it, however it was confusing in context of the show as to why all of a sudden we were watching a fashion show.

It added a lot to her character, however if removed, we'd only miss the diva aspect to Amneris. In my opinion, that isn't as important as all of the other scenes she is in. The number is fun, but I think the show would be improved if that fashion show were removed (keep the song, perhaps? I'd have to see it.)

--Aristotle

SporkGoddess
#12re: Aida Revival?
Posted: 4/8/07 at 4:08pm

The opera's SO much better though, not just score-wise but also story-wise. The musical has stronger characters, but I'll never forgive the ending change.

I'm glad other people hate "Another Pyramid." I think "Like Father Like Son" could be kept if they cut the really annoying dance breaks.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!
Updated On: 4/8/07 at 04:08 PM

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#13re: Aida Revival?
Posted: 4/8/07 at 4:09pm

While I'm able to remove myself in some ways, in others, it's very hard for me to look at the show objectively. Time has allowed me to realize its faults in some respects, in others, I still look at the show the way I did seven years ago. The passage of time has definitely revealed its imperfections where I had previously not known how to look for them, and I have no problem admitting that the writing is problematic in many, many places, for example (Another Pyramid being one of them, though the majority are in the book, for me). The fashion show sequence is one of the things that's hardest for me to re-evaluate, though. I still look at it now the way I did then -- it was fun, and visually spectacular. I'm generally not into that kind of thing, but I felt like it fit within the show's aesthetic -- indulgent, decadent, and perhaps even a little bit fantastical. I think it works, because it's hard the only moment of the show that departs from realism. No, it's not necessary, or even all that important, but I don't really think it hurts. It's fun and harmless. I probably look hypocritical because I generally stand against fluff, but in a show like AIDA, I don't think a scene that takes you out a little bit is that big of a problem, in principle. It fits, and I think it would be a bigger issue if it didn't.

ETA -- wasn't there a stand-alone radio version of "Written in the Stars?" I think Elton did it with Leanne Rimes.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 4/8/07 at 04:09 PM

Chloe Profile Photo
Chloe
#14re: Aida Revival?
Posted: 4/8/07 at 4:18pm

I agree, Emcee, and would even go so far as to say that My Strongest Suit is needed as a counterbalance to what is essentially a very sad story. The creators evidently intended for the show to be crowd-pleasing entertainment rather than anything really serious, so I think something fun and spectacular like this number is a must. I also think it has to be seen to be fully appreciated. On the CD it doesn't make as much of an impression.

I don't really like the idea of an animated version. That would be tipping the balance too far in the other direction for my taste. It might have a chance as a backstage musical like Kiss Me, Kate though. That way its very theatrical elements could remain theatrical.
Updated On: 4/8/07 at 04:18 PM

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#15re: Aida Revival?
Posted: 4/8/07 at 4:19pm

Not sure, but there is that AIDA concept album I still don't own.

Emcee -- I agree with everything you said except for it being "harmless." I think it does harm the pace and maturity of the show, not to mention distracting from the love triangle storyline. But it's fun and adds a new element to Amneris' character. If Disney did a revival and re-wrote the show, I think they would end up keeping it.

ETA: Chloe - "I don't really like the idea of an animated version. That would be tipping the balance too far in the other direction for my taste."

I can definitely see it as an animated film. Same style/tone as THE PRINCE OF EGYPT. More of a serious animated film as opposed to a kiddie version.

--Aristotle
Updated On: 4/8/07 at 04:19 PM

Chloe Profile Photo
Chloe
#16re: Aida Revival?
Posted: 4/8/07 at 4:28pm

Yes, Elton did Written in the Stars with Leanne Rimes. I much prefer the OBC version to the concept album, which wasn't a very good idea in my opinion.

The main reason I don't like the animation idea is that the love story is the key element for me, and I just wouldn't enjoy it as much without real people enacting it.

luvtheEmcee
#17re: Aida Revival?
Posted: 4/8/07 at 4:29pm

The "maturity" of the show is kind of an interesting thing, because I feel like if you want to make it more... serious, or realistic (pick your term, really), which is what I assume you mean by "mature," then you have to play with a lot more things than just the removal of that one sequence. Stylistically, the show is really almost a fantasy. As far as saying it's "harmless," I mostly meant that to say that it's really not the biggest problem with the show where a lot of people are concerned, which is with things like historical accuracy and all of that. For what AIDA feels like it was probably meant to be, it seems alright to me. I guess it can be distracting in that it might taken attention away from the central love triangle thing, but it's a character moment... and I think we can trust audiences not to forget about the love story.

eatlasagna
#18re: Aida Revival?
Posted: 4/8/07 at 4:53pm

what the hell does ETA mean... forgive my ignorance

btw... does anyone else like the song the past is another land... i go back and forth between hating it and liking it... don't know why... i just do... same thing with Fortune Favors the Brave... it's kind of a stupid song and pretty cheesy if you ask me... well i don't so much as hate it but i don't think it's a good song, but i like listening to it... oh well

antonijan Profile Photo
antonijan
#19re: Aida Revival?
Posted: 4/8/07 at 4:56pm

where do u get concept albums?

mrcacou Profile Photo
mrcacou
#20re: Aida Revival?
Posted: 4/8/07 at 4:58pm

I wish they had left the messenger. It was such a great song closing the show in a powerful way. Maybe a bit too powerfull.

In my heart, I found the answered dream, and in my soul I found the song, and in my friends I found the magic, the love, the moon up above- they were mine, all mine, all along..!

luvtheEmcee
#21re: Aida Revival?
Posted: 4/8/07 at 5:03pm

"ETA" = "edited to add"

I've seen the concept album in a bunch of stores. It's not hard to find. It's this:

http://www.amazon.com/Elton-John-Rices-Concept-Album/dp/B00000IFTH/ref=sr_1_1/102-3184000-4087362?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1176066124&sr=8-1

I think The Past is Another Land is really pretty, but I often skip it when it comes up on iTunes, because it's a bit boring out of context. Fortune is a completely ridiculous song... one of those "hey, we need a song here," songs, but it's kind of a guilty pleasure. re: Aida Revival?

I've never seen the opera -- what's the ending with the messenger?

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#22re: Aida Revival?
Posted: 4/8/07 at 5:06pm

The concept album was released commercially. Only some shows have done this. JEKYLL & HYDE is the only other one I can think of. Try eBay.com and Amazon.com.

ETA = "edited to add"

"Past Is Another Land" - There is a pace change with this song. It's awkward. Good song. Says the right things. Just doesn't work as well as it can within the context of the show.

Emcee - "maturity" meaning consistentcy, I guess. Used wrong word. This one fun character song clashes with the other songs. I agree in that the audience forgives. I guess my main issue with it is that it is LONG. 6-7 minutes - the LONGEST musical number in the show (remember, the cast recording cut a section of the fashion show orchestration).

ETA - You know, you have three people working on the book, neither of which are the composer nor lyricist. Perhaps the show's biggest fault was the way they did their collaboration? Seems to me like that is what caused the problems. Are the problem areas in the show the result in compromises?

--Aristotle
Updated On: 4/8/07 at 05:06 PM

luvtheEmcee
#23re: Aida Revival?
Posted: 4/8/07 at 5:08pm

Yes, it was too long. That I'll give you. re: Aida Revival?

MotorTink Profile Photo
MotorTink
#24re: Aida Revival?
Posted: 4/8/07 at 5:09pm

I completely agree with FFTB - total guilty pleasure and current ring tone, lol! re: Aida Revival?

BroadwayBoobs: I'll give all of you who weren't there a hint of who took the pictures ...it rhymes with shameless

SOMMS: I knew it was Tink!