pixeltracker

Billy Porter's "Beauty School Dropout"

Billy Porter's "Beauty School Dropout"

chino Profile Photo
chino
#1Billy Porter's "Beauty School Dropout"
Posted: 4/12/07 at 8:10pm

I was reading Seth's Q Guide to Broadway at our local library, and on the book, he mentioned Billy Porter's "Beauty School Dropout." I went to F.Y.E afterwards to check out the CD. Turns out, it will only be the song I like from the recording so I downloaded it from iTunes... and now, as usual, I cant stop playing it. Its so amazing! I never imagined that it could sound soulful and as "gospel-ish!" Amazing. Go and download it.

I think I might download his live album too. Yikes, I have to control myself to spend arghh!

I'm sorry if this appeared to be corny, just wanted to share.

GOD BLESS

sidjones09 Profile Photo
sidjones09
#2re: Billy Porter's 'Beauty School Dropout'
Posted: 4/12/07 at 8:24pm

It is still one of the most amazing recorded performances that I have ever heard on a Cast recording. Just incredible. Glad that you're getting the chance to experience it for the first time.

"If you've got something to say, say it, and think well of yourself while you're learning to say it better." - David Mamet

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#2re: Billy Porter's 'Beauty School Dropout'
Posted: 4/12/07 at 8:30pm

I know I'm in the minority when I say this, but I did not care for Billy's Teen Angel (recording or live) at all. On 2nd viewing of the show, Ty Taylor was on as both Doody and Teen Angel and I liked his interpretation so much better.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany
Updated On: 4/12/07 at 08:30 PM

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#3re: Billy Porter's 'Beauty School Dropout'
Posted: 4/12/07 at 8:34pm

What Dottie?!

He got a standing O EVERY performance!

And Chino, download "Wings Of Angels". He recorded it BEFORE Celine Dion, and she ripped him off, note for note. I LOVE his version.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#4re: Billy Porter's 'Beauty School Dropout'
Posted: 4/12/07 at 8:34pm

weird that Billy was in SFANW and Ty did the cd.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

Candleshoe2 Profile Photo
Candleshoe2
#5re: Billy Porter's 'Beauty School Dropout'
Posted: 4/12/07 at 8:38pm

When Billy Porter left the show, did the song's arrangement stay the same, or was it a bit different for each performer? I can recall reading on IBDB.com that both Darlene Love and Mary Bond Davis played the Teen Angel at one time, and wa wondering if they did the song different, as well as others who eventually played it?

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#6re: Billy Porter's 'Beauty School Dropout'
Posted: 4/12/07 at 9:11pm

Theatredude, SFANW?

Sorry Diva, that's why I said I know that I was in the minority in terms of his performance. To me, his voice is like nails on a blackboard.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

commasplice
#7re: Billy Porter's 'Beauty School Dropout'
Posted: 4/12/07 at 9:12pm

Songs for a New World, Dottie :)

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#8re: Billy Porter's 'Beauty School Dropout'
Posted: 4/12/07 at 9:16pm

SFANW?

and let me say something to you... YFSYSA.

jczelyph Profile Photo
jczelyph
#9re: Billy Porter's 'Beauty School Dropout'
Posted: 4/12/07 at 9:19pm

That "Wings of Angels" song is called 'Love Is On the Way' and can be found on Billy's 'Untitled' album, and on Celine's 'Let's Talk About Love' album.

I am a massive fan of Celine and Billy and couldn't possibly choose a favourite. As for Beauty School Dropout, it is definitely in my Top 5 songs of all time. I played Teen Angel in a university production and the MD was kind enough to let me adapt the orchestration (with some well-timed pauses etc) to riff it up, Billy-style. Obviously my version wasn't quite as amazing as his, but I can belt pretty high and I got standing O's every night too. It was such an amazing feeling and I was so pleased that Billy had performed it and given me the inspiration.

Yeah, so, BIG Billy Porter fan here.

"Jane, I've been dealt a blow - I've been dealt a blow, Jane."

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#10re: Billy Porter's 'Beauty School Dropout'
Posted: 4/12/07 at 9:36pm

"He got a standing O EVERY performance! "

Not at the performance I attended....

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#11re: Billy Porter's 'Beauty School Dropout'
Posted: 4/12/07 at 9:47pm

I find him to be fabulous, no one can sing that song like he does. He is very gifted performer. He stayed until Brooke Shields finished her run in Grease! right?

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

OOTI2004 Profile Photo
OOTI2004
#12re: Billy Porter's 'Beauty School Dropout'
Posted: 4/12/07 at 11:00pm

I'm actually with Dottie. I'm not saying that he isn't an amazing performer, because he is, and has such a great voice. However, I do not like his version of Beauty School Drop-out, at all. If I ever listen to the recording, which I only bought to listen to "Since I Don't Have You", I can't skip by his version fast enough.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#13re: Billy Porter's 'Beauty School Dropout'
Posted: 4/13/07 at 1:46am

Stephan Buntrock is sweating in his Gaston Dressing Room.
NOT...

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#14re: Billy Porter's 'Beauty School Dropout'
Posted: 4/13/07 at 1:49am

He should be playing Sebastian in the upcoming LITTLE MERMAID.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

friedrichVT
#15re: Billy Porter's 'Beauty School Dropout'
Posted: 4/13/07 at 12:24pm

His voice is not in the best of shape these days.

husk_charmer
#16re: Billy Porter's 'Beauty School Dropout'
Posted: 4/13/07 at 12:27pm

After hearing his "Last Midnight" I'm sad that he didn't get to play the Witch in "Into the Woods."

That said, not a fan of is Teen Angel...then again, I'm not a fan of the song either, so he's fighting an uphill battle.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

#17re: Billy Porter's 'Beauty School Dropout'
Posted: 4/13/07 at 12:38pm

He needs to stop smoking!

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#18re: Billy Porter's 'Beauty School Dropout'
Posted: 4/13/07 at 1:53pm

But not, SMOKIN'!

BSoBW2
#19re: Billy Porter's 'Beauty School Dropout'
Posted: 4/13/07 at 1:58pm

I like the gospel version of it. Not sure if I like the idea of it being gospel. But...his version is fantastic and the first time I heard it I was amazed.

His LAST MIDNIGHT is amazing as well.

Videos