HEIGHTS to Broadway

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#25re: HEIGHTS to Broadway
Posted: 5/23/07 at 9:02pm

The producers of "RENT" told the road company they've got two more years left with the Broadway production, so I wouldn't expect the Nederlander to open anytime soon.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#26re: HEIGHTS to Broadway
Posted: 5/23/07 at 9:15pm

The Booth has a tenant for the fall, after Year of Magical Thinking ends its limited run.

When a show announces a Broadway transfer in a legit news source like the New York Times, but no theatre is mentioned, it means it is going into a theatre that is currently occupied with a open-run show that may be winding down. Out of deference to the show that is occupying that theatre currently, In the Heights will not announce anything until whatver current show is in the house has announced a closing.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#27re: HEIGHTS to Broadway
Posted: 5/23/07 at 9:23pm

Not sure how long the "Radio Golf" run is supposed to be, but my guess is that without a Tony Win for Best Play, (which I would love to see, but not likely to happen), the show wont run for long. (unfortunately). Not sure if anything else was scheduled at the Cort.

ashbash1990 Profile Photo
ashbash1990
#28re: HEIGHTS to Broadway
Posted: 5/23/07 at 10:15pm

I guessed this transfer would happen, congrats to the cast and all involved...

What a night! I was in more laps than a napkin!

MungoGypsy8232
#29re: HEIGHTS to Broadway
Posted: 5/23/07 at 10:18pm

I'll post the same thing I posted in the transfer thread

May I also add "way to screw up predicting the Tonys nominations next year based on previous award nominations a la Grey Gardens" re: HEIGHTS to Broadway

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#30re: HEIGHTS to Broadway
Posted: 5/23/07 at 10:52pm

Speaking of GREY GARDENS, the Walter Kerr should free up come October. That would be a perfect space for HEIGHTS.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#31re: HEIGHTS to Broadway
Posted: 5/23/07 at 11:03pm

this doesnt make any sense, why is it coming to b'way? RENT def. wont leave for a couple years, even though its not doiung well in hte box office, its such a b'way classic.

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

tourboi
#32re: HEIGHTS to Broadway
Posted: 5/23/07 at 11:10pm

Ah, but being a "broadway classic" doesn't pay the bills if the show's not making the big bucks anymore.

As for the producers of RENT NY telling the road company anything...remember the road company has DIFFERENT producers.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#33re: HEIGHTS to Broadway
Posted: 5/23/07 at 11:14pm

Speaking of GREY GARDENS, the Walter Kerr should free up come October. That would be a perfect space for HEIGHTS.

If that happens, I think that "A Catered Affair" would get dibs on the Kerr considering they already made a deal with JuJamcyn. Heights would go into a Shubert or Nederlander theatre most likely.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#34re: HEIGHTS to Broadway
Posted: 5/23/07 at 11:15pm

Look like the Helen Hayes will be free. Move it there.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#35re: HEIGHTS to Broadway
Posted: 5/23/07 at 11:39pm

Supposedly the producers really want the Richard Rodgers.

"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

tourboi
#36re: HEIGHTS to Broadway
Posted: 5/23/07 at 11:45pm

Hrm, as much as I think they should, I don't think Disney will admit defeat with TARZAN this soon.

usmma2010 Profile Photo
usmma2010
#37re: HEIGHTS to Broadway
Posted: 5/23/07 at 11:46pm

helen hayes makes by far the most sense Bt i would be stoaked to see tarzan leave

"and in the end the love you make is equal to the love you take"

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#38re: HEIGHTS to Broadway
Posted: 5/23/07 at 11:47pm

I haven't been to the show in a while, but isn't the set for this show fairly "letterbox", as 37 Arts has a wide stage? I can't imagine it being scrunched into most of the playhouses mentioned. I think the Nederlander is probably the best option, given all the options.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#39re: HEIGHTS to Broadway
Posted: 5/23/07 at 11:53pm

RENT is not going anywhere anytime soon.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Tom148502
#40re: HEIGHTS to Broadway
Posted: 5/23/07 at 11:57pm

everythingtaboo is correct. This wonderful show is way too big to fit into places like the Booth.

RentBoy86
#41re: HEIGHTS to Broadway
Posted: 5/24/07 at 12:00am

Well if the show is transferring to Broadway, then the set and everything will change. Like with SA and Grey Gardens, everything will get a "facelift" and things will look better and more expensive and be designed to fit the space their in. They're trying to sway a $100+ audience, so they have to up it.

Smartful Dodger Profile Photo
Smartful Dodger
#42re: HEIGHTS to Broadway
Posted: 5/24/07 at 10:10am

Those who are using the size of audiences at 37 Arts as a barometer for how well this show will do midtown should recognize that a transfer to Broadway means more marketing dollars and a better location for walk-by and tourist traffic. Honestly, 37 Arts might just as well have been an out-of-town try out for the location. Also, with the revisions come some opportunities for re-casting, which means they could replace some of the Off-Broadway cast with some seasoned actors with names that folks might recognize. While most performances have been solid, there are those that tend toward amateur.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#43re: HEIGHTS to Broadway
Posted: 5/24/07 at 10:16am

BJH is correct...A CATERED AFFAIR at the Kerr is pretty much a done deal.

What about the Richard Rodgers? How's TARZAN been doing lately?

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#44re: HEIGHTS to Broadway
Posted: 5/24/07 at 10:17am

In the Heights has 22 cast members. There is no way a theatre as small as the Helen Hayes would make financial sense for a Broadway transfer. Probably it would be best in one of the 1,000-1,200 seat playhouses.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Nick Plasia
#45re: HEIGHTS to Broadway
Posted: 5/24/07 at 6:14pm

I predict that CATERED AFFAIR will never make it out of San Diego; it's awwwwwwwwful.

neddyfrank2
#46re: HEIGHTS to Broadway
Posted: 5/24/07 at 6:16pm

Nick- HAve you seen it?

desiree armfeldt Profile Photo
desiree armfeldt
#47re: HEIGHTS to Broadway
Posted: 5/24/07 at 7:01pm

In the Heights is THE BEST show I have seen this season. I am not sure if it will succeed on Broadway (I feel like it has used up its audience) but it is absolutely incredible and I am SO EXCITED.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#48re: HEIGHTS to Broadway
Posted: 5/24/07 at 8:18pm

AC1, Tarzan has been a major flop from the get go. Problem is that Disney refuses to admit that and says that they have to keep the broadway production open now that they have one in Holland. Personally, I wish that they will addmit to a los soon because they are taking up valueable theatre space. I have never heard of a show where there were so many people involved that couldn't wait for their contracts to end that way they din't have to work there a second longer. I am not talking about cast nesscearly but I am talking about the crew. I met the music director during a rehersal for a show I was working on and during a break I asked him what he thought of Tarzan and he went and jokingly banged his head against a wall.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#49re: HEIGHTS to Broadway
Posted: 5/24/07 at 8:37pm

But I think that a RENT closing may just happen -- perhaps after Anthony and Adam leave. Hope I'm wrong.
Considering they haven't announced it yet and that's only 3 months away, I seriously doubt it. It's been open for 11 years; they're going to give notice of closing probably 6 months to a year in advance.

I'm...wary. Lin Manuel is so talented and I'm happy this show is doing so well, but I can't imagine it will do too well on Broadway, though it will get more attention than it is now.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

Videos