pixeltracker

Ideas for the next Actor's Fund concert and possible casting ideas

Ideas for the next Actor's Fund concert and possible casting ideas

Mattbrain
#1Ideas for the next Actor's Fund concert and possible casting ideas
Posted: 5/29/07 at 10:23am

What should Seth do for his next star-studded Actor's Fund concert and who should be in it. He said in an interview a few years back that he wanted to do The Most Happy Fella with Audra McDonald as Rosabella and Norm Lewis as Joe. Perhaps, along with those two:

George Hearn as Tony
Hugh Panaro as Doc

That's all I can think of.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#2re: Ideas for the next Actor's Fund concert and possible casting ideas
Posted: 5/29/07 at 10:33am

How about reusing the Funny Girl multi-star approach with Hello Dolly?

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Gothampc
#2re: Ideas for the next Actor's Fund concert and possible casting ideas
Posted: 5/29/07 at 11:13am

Oliver

Oliver - Neil Patrick Harris
Nancy - Sara Ramirez
Fagin - Harvey Fierstein
Artful Dodger - John Cameron Mitchell
Bill Sikes - Christopher Walkin

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Mojojo5 Profile Photo
Mojojo5
#3re: Ideas for the next Actor's Fund concert and possible casting ideas
Posted: 5/29/07 at 11:15am

I'd rather see a full-blown production of "Hello, Dolly!" but if we need a Herman musicale would love to see a "Funny Girl" type concert with "Mame." Mame seems to be a harder role to get completely right so hopefully a rotation cast would solve certain problems. Since an "Evita" transfer seems dead in the water, how about going back to that idea from a few seasons ago (complete w/ multiple Evas).

Z.

"You're not a kid anymore, Robby. I don't think you'll ever be a kid again, kiddo." - Joanne, Company

Shakespearean Profile Photo
Shakespearean
#4re: Ideas for the next Actor's Fund concert and possible casting ideas
Posted: 5/29/07 at 11:17am

Christopher Walken as Bill Sykes???

"You know... the boy... you know... the boy... Oliver... the boy... he needs more... you know... the boy... he needs more... cowbell... yes... he needs more cowbell..."

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#5re: Ideas for the next Actor's Fund concert and possible casting ideas
Posted: 5/29/07 at 11:19am

The Mystery of Edwin Drood

Drood-Alice Ripley
Rosa Bud-Laura Benanti
Chairman-John Lithgow
Puffer-Mary Testa
Jasper-Brian D'Arcy James
Helena-Ana Gasteyer
Neville-Christopher Innvar

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#6re: Ideas for the next Actor's Fund concert and possible casting ideas
Posted: 5/29/07 at 11:26am

Ragtime!

Mother- Julia Murney
Father- Marc Kudisch
Younger Brother- Hugh Panero
Sarah- Tamyra Gray
Emma Goldman- Mary Testa

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#7re: Ideas for the next Actor's Fund concert and possible casting ideas
Posted: 5/29/07 at 11:28am

This has been discussed to DEATH.

The last thread on this was really great, and offered up some fantastic ideas.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Gothampc
#8re: Ideas for the next Actor's Fund concert and possible casting ideas
Posted: 5/29/07 at 11:31am

"Christopher Walken as Bill Sykes???"

Walken proved he can do a musical when he did "James Joyce's The Dead".

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

munkustrap178
#9re: Ideas for the next Actor's Fund concert and possible casting ideas
Posted: 5/29/07 at 11:32am

Haha, can you imagine? A 40-ish year old Dodger? Hahahaha.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Gothampc
#10re: Ideas for the next Actor's Fund concert and possible casting ideas
Posted: 5/29/07 at 11:39am

"Haha, can you imagine? A 40-ish year old Dodger? Hahahaha."

It's a concert, not an actual staged production. They've taken huge liberties in the other shows they've done.

munkustrap178
#11re: Ideas for the next Actor's Fund concert and possible casting ideas
Posted: 5/29/07 at 11:42am

...oh, you were serious?

I thought all of your casting was a joke.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#12re: Ideas for the next Actor's Fund concert and possible casting ideas
Posted: 5/29/07 at 1:00pm

SIDE SHOW with Rosie and Star.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Mattbrain
#13re: Ideas for the next Actor's Fund concert and possible casting ideas
Posted: 5/29/07 at 1:45pm

Maybe years into the future after it closes...The Color Purple with Queen Latifah as Sofia.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#14re: Ideas for the next Actor's Fund concert and possible casting ideas
Posted: 5/29/07 at 2:49pm

I rember watching the broadway.com ask a star for Cerveries. He spoke about how he would like to try and to a Tommy concert for the actors fund because everyone in the cast has such fond memories of doing the show and it owuld be fun to get together for one night.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#15re: Ideas for the next Actor's Fund concert and possible casting ideas
Posted: 5/29/07 at 3:23pm

The Most Happy Fella, one of my personal favorites, would be a great choice!

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#16re: Ideas for the next Actor's Fund concert and possible casting ideas
Posted: 5/29/07 at 4:06pm

What about Rocy Horror with rotating Franks...?

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

callitquits
#17re: Ideas for the next Actor's Fund concert and possible casting ideas
Posted: 5/29/07 at 5:32pm

I like the Tommy reunion cast idea, since the OBC was chock-full of talent; however, I'd also love to see others take on the roles.

Tommy - Jonathan Groff
Mrs. Walker - Julia Murney
Captain Walker - Raul Esparza
Sally Simpson - Celia Keenan-Bolger
Acid Queen - Jennifer Hudson
Uncle Ernie - Norbert Leo Butz
Cousin Kevin - John Gallagher Jr.

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#18re: Ideas for the next Actor's Fund concert and possible casting ideas
Posted: 5/29/07 at 5:48pm

I actually kind of like that cast, callitquits.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

ashley0139
#19re: Ideas for the next Actor's Fund concert and possible casting ideas
Posted: 5/29/07 at 5:51pm

I like the Ragtime and Side Show ideas.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#20re: Ideas for the next Actor's Fund concert and possible casting ideas
Posted: 5/29/07 at 6:11pm

I think "Hello Dolly!" with Queen Latifah in the title role would be pretty spectacular.

Seth loves his powerhouse women, so another "Funny Girl"-esque female star vehicle with multiple people rotating the central role would be great as well (shows like "Evita" and "..Dolly!" would lend well to this concept.)

Or perhaps he can round up some of Broadway's fiercest divas for "Ain't Misbehavin'"? The likes of Capathia Jenkins, Lillias White, Sharon Wilkins, Roz Ryan, Anika Noni Rose, Shayna Steele, Mary Bond Davis, and Jennifer Hudson taking on that show would be quite a spectacle.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 5/29/07 at 06:11 PM

Mattbrain
#21re: Ideas for the next Actor's Fund concert and possible casting ideas
Posted: 5/30/07 at 7:24am

Concerning guys for an Ain't Misbehavin' Concert, Darius de Haas, Rufus Bonds Jr., Jesse L. Martin (singing Your Feet's Too Big), Norm Lewis, Chuck Cooper, etc.

And somethingwicked forgot about Anne Duquesnay.

Updated On: 5/30/07 at 07:24 AM

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#22re: Ideas for the next Actor's Fund concert and possible casting ideas
Posted: 6/2/07 at 10:20pm

According to Seth, there isn't going to be a concert production like usual this year. Instead, Brian Stokes Mitchell will be performing October 15th at Carnegie Hall to benefit the Actors Fund. That concert will go in place of Seth's usual show (a tradition that is expected to be resumed next year.)

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#23re: Ideas for the next Actor's Fund concert and possible casting ideas
Posted: 6/2/07 at 10:25pm

Many options were given in the old threat, and Seth's comment about the Brian Stokes Mitchell concert was also mentioned.
http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?boardname=bway&thread=932817#2966476

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#24re: Ideas for the next Actor's Fund concert and possible casting ideas
Posted: 6/2/07 at 10:50pm

I like the idea of The Mos tHappy Fella,e specially witht he people you posted. I would add Felicia Finley as Cleo.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

Videos