pixeltracker

Who Do YOU Want to Replace Ebersole?- Page 5

Who Do YOU Want to Replace Ebersole?

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#100re: Who Do YOU Want to Replace Ebersole?
Posted: 6/21/07 at 4:49pm

People need to get over the fact that other people WILL play the dual roles at one point or another (tour, regional, amateur, West End, Broadway revival) and guess what? Whoever does it may actually be as good as Ebersole.
It is not about replacing Ebersole, it's about finding new layers, new takes, and new ways to approach a role. Phyllis Stones was written for Alexis Smith and yet some of us found Donna Murphy's interpretation of the role to be brilliant, Sally Bowles was written for Liza Minnelli but Natasha Richardson's portrayal has been hailed as one of the best in the past 10 years or so. So please do get over it.
I think Faith Prince, Donna Murphy, Victoria Clark, and even Bernadette Peters and Cyndi Lauper would all make great replacements. I have heard the Lesley Ann Warren rumor before too though, not sure if she'll get it.
Sarah Uriarte Berry as Davie's replacement would be great.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#101re: Who Do YOU Want to Replace Ebersole?
Posted: 6/21/07 at 7:49pm

and the fact of the matter is that future productions do not have to cast the show the same way--they could have two actresses play the 2 women, aging for the second act. they could have 4 actresses--2 for each act. the casting is not written in stone.

I have to say that I think cyndi could be quite an inspired choice. as edith, it might be a stretch (though who knows--she could amaze us) but she would be an astonishing little edie. she has a stunning voice that is 4 octaves. I would love to see her do 'revolutionary costume' and 'around the world' and 'another winter'.

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#102re: Who Do YOU Want to Replace Ebersole?
Posted: 6/21/07 at 11:48pm

Sally Bowles was written for Liza Minnelli

Not quite, considering that she didn't originate the role on Broadway and that they had to change the character's nationality in order for her to play it in the film.

But I agree with your overall statement.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#103re: Who Do YOU Want to Replace Ebersole?
Posted: 6/21/07 at 11:51pm

Well, I should have said conceived for Liza Minnelli. Kander and Ebb begged Prince to cast her in the role but Hal Prince was convinced that he wanted a British actress to play the role so Haworth got the part.
You get my point though re: Who Do YOU Want to Replace Ebersole?

EDIT: Thanks for D2 for pointing out my mistake writing "American actress" instead of "British actress," my bad.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
Updated On: 6/22/07 at 11:51 PM

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#104re: Who Do YOU Want to Replace Ebersole?
Posted: 6/22/07 at 12:03am

Indeed, and in fact, I would WANT to see someone else triumph in that role.

You know who I'd love to see do it (not that she'd ever step in as a replacement in an established role)? Dianne Wiest.

Although I'm surprised it's gotten this far in the thread without someone mentioned the even more far-fetched Meryl Streep idea that gets tossed into every casting conversation. re: Who Do YOU Want to Replace Ebersole?

Dollypop
#105re: Who Do YOU Want to Replace Ebersole?
Posted: 6/22/07 at 6:19am

Rosie O'Donnell.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#106re: Who Do YOU Want to Replace Ebersole?
Posted: 6/22/07 at 6:55am

Great choice Dolly

Poster Emeritus

Wicked63
#107re: Who Do YOU Want to Replace Ebersole?
Posted: 6/22/07 at 7:59am

DONT replace her! pay her treble and keep her!

anactor
#108re: Who Do YOU Want to Replace Ebersole?
Posted: 6/22/07 at 8:17am

Victoria Clark

rayoflight104 Profile Photo
rayoflight104
#109re: Who Do YOU Want to Replace Ebersole?
Posted: 6/22/07 at 9:09am

When is her contract up?

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#110re: Who Do YOU Want to Replace Ebersole?
Posted: 6/22/07 at 9:32am

October or November. Either way, from my understanding, the meeting that occured last week with the producers was very serious and Ebersole's July vacation was one of their main concerns.

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#111re: Who Do YOU Want to Replace Ebersole?
Posted: 6/22/07 at 11:03am

On the note of height, Maureen Moore is significantly shorter than Christine.

I'd enjoy Vicky C or Cyndi, I'd love for it to be Maureen, but it does seem a "name" would be required to keep the show open.

I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America. [turns and winks directly into the camera] - Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) on 30 Rock

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#112re: Who Do YOU Want to Replace Ebersole?
Posted: 6/22/07 at 11:10am

I think Charlotte Rae should replace Mary Louise Wilson. I mean, after all, she gets to sit in a bed and already has the shrill voice thing down pat.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#113re: Who Do YOU Want to Replace Ebersole?
Posted: 6/22/07 at 11:11am

Actually, I'd love to see Angela Lansbury as Big Edie.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

andyf
#114re: Who Do YOU Want to Replace Ebersole?
Posted: 6/22/07 at 11:23am

Patti Cohenour.

Andrew, tonight isn't about you! It isn't even about me!!! - [FD]

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#115re: Who Do YOU Want to Replace Ebersole?
Posted: 6/22/07 at 11:35am

Ugh perfection, love Patti and didn't even think of her!

Unfortunately I don't think she has any plans of moving back to NYC anytime soon, but it would certainly be worth it. Producers would probably want her for u/s though...

I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America. [turns and winks directly into the camera] - Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) on 30 Rock

ElFantasma14 Profile Photo
ElFantasma14
#116re: Who Do YOU Want to Replace Ebersole?
Posted: 6/22/07 at 12:44pm

The more I think about it, Cyndi Lauper might be excellent! I can definatley see her as Little Edie, and I'm sure with some help she'd be a fine Big Edie.

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#117re: Who Do YOU Want to Replace Ebersole?
Posted: 6/22/07 at 12:55pm

I remember on Bravo's "Broadway's Best" she was "hidden" as an usherette and then started singing "There's No Business Like Show Business" quite beautifully.

Cyndi could very well pull it off comically and singing-wise.

Vicky C. would give a vocal and emotionally commanding performance but lacks the notable name Lauper carries. Same for Cohenour.

EDIT: Found It!

Updated On: 6/22/07 at 12:55 PM

danielloz
#118re: Who Do YOU Want to Replace Ebersole?
Posted: 6/22/07 at 3:10pm

I think that Madona might make an interesting replacement for Ebersole, though nobody will ever be as good as Ebersole

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#119re: Who Do YOU Want to Replace Ebersole?
Posted: 6/22/07 at 4:14pm

I love Madonna--and she could be a fantastic Little Edie. But, I don't imagine she could carry the legit vocals of the show. I know she has those vocals in her, but she doesn't use them. Joan Lader would have to put her through a massive boot camp, and she would have to follow every instruction to the letter.

And then be able to do it 8 shows a week. It's not gonna happen, though I wish she would do a Broadway musical at some point.

BigFatBlonde Profile Photo
BigFatBlonde
#120re: Who Do YOU Want to Replace Ebersole?
Posted: 6/22/07 at 4:16pm

Lovin' the idea of Patti Cohenour

What great ones do the less will prattle of

actormcfamous
#121re: Who Do YOU Want to Replace Ebersole?
Posted: 6/23/07 at 4:20am

I could see Maria Friedman playing the role if the show has a London run.

HDThoreau2 Profile Photo
HDThoreau2
#122re: Who Do YOU Want to Replace Ebersole?
Posted: 6/23/07 at 8:42am

Faith Prince.

If Tom DeLay is The Hammer, then I proclaim a new title for the Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi: The Briber. Nancy Pelosi had to bribe her members with spinach to get their votes.

Belleof14thStreet Profile Photo
Belleof14thStreet
#123re: Who Do YOU Want to Replace Ebersole?
Posted: 6/23/07 at 4:31pm

What about Marin Mazzie? She def. has the legit voice to pull it off - she's about the right age and physical appearance and she is HIGHLY underused by the Broadway community.

fflagg Profile Photo
fflagg
#124re: Who Do YOU Want to Replace Ebersole?
Posted: 6/23/07 at 4:44pm

Catherine O'Hara and Cloris Leachman

Do you know what happens when you let Veal Prince Orloff sit in an oven too long?