Auf Wiedersehen, LoveMusik.

RockabyeHamlet
#1Auf Wiedersehen, LoveMusik.
Posted: 6/24/07 at 2:42am

LoveMusik is ending it's run this afternoon. A extremely touching show, it will be missed. Best of luck to the cast and crew.

"I wouldn't let Esparza's Bobby take my kids to the zoo...I'd be afraid he'd steal their ice cream and laugh."- YankeeFan
"People who like Sondheim enjoy cruelty."-LuvtheEmcee
Updated On: 6/24/07 at 02:42 AM

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#2re: Auf Wiedersehen, LoveMusik.
Posted: 6/24/07 at 2:47am

Awww, Rockabye, did you have to remind me?
This news makes me a bit sad but luckily I was fortunate enough to catch the show last Sunday. I'm just glad the brilliance of the cast will be preserved on a cast recording.
Here's hoping Murphy records "Pirate Jenny" as a bonus track.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#2re: Auf Wiedersehen, LoveMusik.
Posted: 6/24/07 at 3:30am

I'm sorry, but it was two great performances in a really substandard show. I'm not going to miss it very much, but am glad that Cerveris' and Murphy's brilliance will be immortalized on a recording.

"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

Bwayfan4
#3re: Auf Wiedersehen, LoveMusik.
Posted: 6/24/07 at 8:12am

I saw this show yesterday and really enjoyed it! It seemed very random and quirky...completely different than many of the shows I am used to seeing...but I really liked it! Both Cerveris and Murphy gave wonderful performances. (I had no idea it was so funny!) In any case, I'm glad I saw it before it closed.

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#4re: Auf Wiedersehen, LoveMusik.
Posted: 6/24/07 at 10:01am

Wait, it closes "tonight"? I was under the impression that the closing perf was at 2... is that wrong?!

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

#5re: Auf Wiedersehen, LoveMusik.
Posted: 6/24/07 at 10:16am

i'll miss LOVEMUSIK but im very excited about the cast recording!

ive said it before & i'll say it again, if they only cut the BUDDY ON THE NIGHTSHIFT and ILLUSION WEDDING SHOW numbers, the whole production would be tighter & stronger!!!!

cheers for all involved & i wll be one of the first to pre-order that cast recording!

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#6re: Auf Wiedersehen, LoveMusik.
Posted: 6/24/07 at 10:23am

I saw it last night. A very interesting show, it didn't always work but that glorious music and those brilliant performances kept it from completely imploding from it's own pretensions to "serious high art."

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#7re: Auf Wiedersehen, LoveMusik.
Posted: 6/24/07 at 10:24am

You're right, ITF. It closes this afternoon.

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#8re: Auf Wiedersehen, LoveMusik.
Posted: 6/24/07 at 10:27am

Thank you WithoutaTrace! I always appreciate you on this board!

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#9re: Auf Wiedersehen, LoveMusik.
Posted: 6/24/07 at 10:41am

And I'll be there! RC, and I know very little about the show but the cast looks great and we are looking forward to seeing it this afternoon.

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien

divarobbie Profile Photo
divarobbie
#10re: Auf Wiedersehen, LoveMusik.
Posted: 6/24/07 at 11:55am

What label is recording this?

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#11re: Auf Wiedersehen, LoveMusik.
Posted: 6/24/07 at 12:06pm

Time Life Records

James2 Profile Photo
James2
#12re: Auf Wiedersehen, LoveMusik.
Posted: 6/24/07 at 12:14pm

It's too bad that this was not a better show. Still, David Pittu's entertaining performance made the trip worthwhile for me.

My avatar = A screencap from Avatar, arguably the greatest animated show of all

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#13re: Auf Wiedersehen, LoveMusik.
Posted: 6/24/07 at 1:11pm

I'll look forward to the cast recording. I can't wait to see what is up next for the great Michael Cerveris.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

keen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
#14re: Auf Wiedersehen, LoveMusik.
Posted: 6/24/07 at 1:14pm

I believe Cerveris is doing a play reading tomorrow night. Never let it be said he lets any grass grow under his feet!

Revolutionary Profile Photo
Revolutionary
#15re: Auf Wiedersehen, LoveMusik.
Posted: 6/24/07 at 1:33pm

Wasn't LM supposed to transfer? I think I remember responding to a thread a couple months ago that said transfer was imminent or something along those lines.

Oh well.

Maybe I would be more sad right now if I had actually stayed awake for the entire show.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#16re: Auf Wiedersehen, LoveMusik.
Posted: 6/24/07 at 1:54pm

Enhancement money was invested into the project, but due to the mixed critical response, lack of Tony affection, and poor ticket sales, a transfer ended up not being a possibility.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#17re: Auf Wiedersehen, LoveMusik.
Posted: 6/24/07 at 2:58pm

Yes, the transfer is definitely not happening but apparently there are a dozen international productions on the work.
Norn, I couldn't agree with you more. In my opinion, they needed to cut "Buddy on the Night Shift," "Illusion Wedding," done something less trite about the boat scene, let Donna Murphy sing ALL of "Surabaya Johnny" (I still don't get how Prince cut "Surabaya Johnny" but included a number as trivial as "Illusion Wedding" that just stops the show cold, not in the good way), put "Pirate Jenny" SOMEWHERE in the show, AND do something about the accents the show would have been much more solid.
As it stands, I thoroughly enjoyed it though. Cerveris, Murphy, Pittu, and Judy Blazer (in the dozen roles she gets to play) all made me grateful that I was able to see LoveMusik.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

chris d
#18re: Auf Wiedersehen, LoveMusik.
Posted: 6/24/07 at 4:43pm

I'll miss LoveMusik as well. It really brought an element of elegance, ambition, and chutzpah to Broadway during its short run. It wasn't perfect, but it was daring, challenging, emotional, and romantic. It also really got me interesting in Weill and Brecht's work and Lotte Lenya in general, who I didn't know much of before LoveMusik came about. I think praise is due also to MTC for those great Podcasts that really shed light on the subject matter and made the show all the more fascinating.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#19re: Auf Wiedersehen, LoveMusik.
Posted: 6/24/07 at 6:47pm

I'll miss it. I saw it for the second time yesterday at the matinee and loved it even more. Donna's acting in like the last 10 minutes ~ from the suitcase to the make-up ~ just undid me both times.

As for the accents...while they were hard to understand at times, I can only imagine the complaint thread there would be if they hadn't used accents. Somehow I think the complaints about the lack of Irish accents in The Pirate Queen would have been mild compared to that one. :)

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

#20re: Auf Wiedersehen, LoveMusik.
Posted: 6/24/07 at 8:25pm

yes!
thanks to MTC for those podcasts!!!
they really added to the experience!

divarobbie Profile Photo
divarobbie
#21LoveMusik not recorded
Posted: 6/26/07 at 5:39pm

LoveMusik was NOT recorded today.

RockabyeHamlet
#22LoveMusik not recorded
Posted: 6/26/07 at 5:48pm

oh no... do you have any more info or how did you find out?

"I wouldn't let Esparza's Bobby take my kids to the zoo...I'd be afraid he'd steal their ice cream and laugh."- YankeeFan
"People who like Sondheim enjoy cruelty."-LuvtheEmcee

Chrysanthemum62001
#23LoveMusik not recorded
Posted: 6/26/07 at 8:17pm

I absolutely adore Michael, and I FINALLY made it to see the show Saturday afternoon. I don't know how random this is, but he came out of the stage door almost immediately AND he was wearing his costume. I took a picture of him signing something so I will post it later.

LOVED THE SHOW. I will regret only seeing it once. My favorite number was "Wouldn't You Like to Be on Broadway". I loved all the music, but I felt some of the songs could have been shortened a bit.

I am gonna keep my fingers crossed that they record.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

Yankeefan007
#24LoveMusik not recorded
Posted: 6/26/07 at 8:21pm

As per Hal Prince, there's no firm date as to when it's to be recorded (though it could be as early as this week), but it will definitely be recorded.

According to one of the Biltmore/MTC people, it's due to contract negotiations with the musicians.

Videos