pixeltracker

Into the Woods question: "Our Little World"

Into the Woods question: "Our Little World"

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#1Into the Woods question: "Our Little World"
Posted: 7/5/07 at 5:43pm

I bought the Libretto for cheap at a used book sale, but it doesn't have "Our Little World". I was wondering if there is dialogue that sets up this song or if it is just inserted before or after the witch asks Rapunzel to let down her hair? Or not? How is it incorporated?

Evan Almighty Profile Photo
Evan Almighty
#2re: Into the Woods question: 'Our Little World'
Posted: 7/5/07 at 8:10pm

I've never heard of this song. It's not listed on the original musical (ibdb.com), or in the reunion concert special. It's only listed in the 02 revival.

I'm guessing they added it for Vanessa Williams.

My avatar: South Park Evan Almighty. He's nutty.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#2re: Into the Woods question: 'Our Little World'
Posted: 7/5/07 at 8:13pm

I thought it was added for the London production of ITW, no?

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

commasplice
#3re: Into the Woods question: 'Our Little World'
Posted: 7/5/07 at 8:13pm

"I've never heard of this song. It's not listed on the original musical (ibdb.com), or in the reunion concert special. It's only listed in the 02 revival.

I'm guessing they added it for Vanessa Williams."

It was originally in the London production.

(Alas, CATS, I can't help you, but I'd also like to know.)

artscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
#4re: Into the Woods question: 'Our Little World'
Posted: 7/5/07 at 8:26pm

It was definitely added for the London production. I've seen it used in three different productions, including the recent Broadway revival. So I'm pretty sure that I'm correct in my recollection that there is no dialogue lead up to the song. It is inserted after the I Guess This Is Goodbye / Maybe They're Magic sequence. At most they may have transitioned with a "as for Rapunzel..." from the narrator.

Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#5re: Into the Woods question: 'Our Little World'
Posted: 7/5/07 at 8:33pm

Yes, it was added for London. In fact, the one used in the recent Broadway revival is actually a shortened version of the song. You can hear the whole thing on the London album. Rapunzel's role is pretty puny without it. When I did the show several years ago (before the revival), the song was published in the individual cast books but not in the score.

I'm trying to remember if they used it in the production I saw in Houston with Leslie Uggams and Lenny Wolpe.
Updated On: 7/5/07 at 08:33 PM

harris007 Profile Photo
harris007
#6re: Into the Woods question: 'Our Little World'
Posted: 7/5/07 at 8:52pm

it's used in place of the whitch just climbing into the tower in act one, the song starts the scene .

Attend the tale of Bovine Boy His party threads we all enjoy But does he have Mad Cow Disease? He doesn't eat beef - but cows skating? - oh please!!! With cocoa!?! And lemonade!?! The heifer-mad poster of Broadway (World)

ThankstoPhantom
#7re: Into the Woods question: 'Our Little World'
Posted: 7/5/07 at 9:27pm

It's a fun song that I think adds something to Rapunzel. Every other character in the show has something memorable to work with....Rapunzel, initially, did not.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#8re: Into the Woods question: 'Our Little World'
Posted: 7/6/07 at 12:25am

We did the song recently in our production of Woods...I was Rapunzel...

The scene started with teh Narrarator's dialogue, and Rapunzel's Aaahhs, which lead into the song. Her hair is lowered after the first verse. Then the rest of the song is sang...and the scene ends with the witch climbing up Rapunzel's hair and Rapunzel aaah ing in pain :)

does that help?

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#9re: Into the Woods question: 'Our Little World'
Posted: 7/6/07 at 12:32am

side note:

CALVIN! it was that production that got me into musical theatre! i'm also pretty sure they did use the number. I have the playbill at home so i;ll look on monday

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

Jon
#10re: Into the Woods question: 'Our Little World'
Posted: 7/6/07 at 9:21am

It's included in the licenced version as "optional material" - meaning each production can choose to do it or not.

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#11re: Into the Woods question: 'Our Little World'
Posted: 7/6/07 at 9:26am

Woo, CQ! re: Into the Woods question: 'Our Little World'

I went in thinking Wolpe would be WAY too old to be the Baker, but actually, it kinda made sense to have an older Baker, which makes the whole being childless thing a little more poignant. I was thinking they used the song, too.

husk_charmer
#12re: Into the Woods question: 'Our Little World'
Posted: 7/6/07 at 9:39am

When we did it, I was the Witch, and we didn't use it. Honestly, I hate the song and it slows the action down for me...

OT: I would KILL to see Leslie Uggams as The Witch (I assume that's who she was)

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#13re: Into the Woods question: 'Our Little World'
Posted: 7/6/07 at 9:41am

Indeed she was! (and one of her daughters was a stepsister)

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
#14re: Into the Woods question: 'Our Little World'
Posted: 7/6/07 at 12:15pm

re: Into the Woods question: 'Our Little World'

Here is a photo of Our Little World from the beautiful production of Into the Woods I saw at the Stratford Festival last year or the year before.

raphael06 Profile Photo
raphael06
#15re: Into the Woods question: 'Our Little World'
Posted: 7/6/07 at 12:18pm

Wow Kyle! That's an awesome photo! Do you have anymore?

"I chose and my world was shaken. So what? The choice may have been mistaken. The choosing was not."-Sunday in the Park with George

#16re: Into the Woods question: 'Our Little World'
Posted: 2/23/09 at 9:25pm

I dunno how I stumbled on this old thread by chance, but here are more pics from that stunning Stratford production on a web page for the designer (she';s from Montreal...) Dany Lyne

http://www.canadiantheatre.com/dict.pl?term=Lyne%2C%20Dany

laura is broadway Profile Photo
laura is broadway
#17re: Into the Woods question: 'Our Little World'
Posted: 2/23/09 at 10:15pm

Wow, that production looks beautiful.

PiraguaGuy2
#18re: Into the Woods question: 'Our Little World'
Posted: 2/23/09 at 10:17pm

What an interesting, beautiful production.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

MrSweetNAwful Profile Photo
MrSweetNAwful
#19re: Into the Woods question: 'Our Little World'
Posted: 2/23/09 at 11:10pm

...wow, that design (set and costume) is so bizzare. It is gorgeous, but it's jarring for me since I have the original production carved into my memory. Big kudos for them for doing something completely original though, looks like they pulled it off!

You're reminding me of people you hear at the movies asking questions every ten seconds, "Who is that? Why is that guy walking down the street? Who's that lady coming up to him? Uh-oh, why did that car go by? Why is it so dark in this theater?" - FindingNamo on strummergirl

"If artists were machines, then I'm just a different kind of machine...I'd probably be a toaster. Actually, I'd be a toaster oven because they're more versatile. And I like making grilled cheese" -Regina Spektor

"That's, like, twelve shows! ...Or seven." -Crazy SA Fangirl

"They say that just being relaxed is the most important thing [in acting]. I take that to another level, I think kinda like yawning and...like being partially asleep onstage is also good, but whatever." - Sherie Rene Scott

#20re: Into the Woods question: 'Our Little World'
Posted: 2/23/09 at 11:28pm

Oh I'm definetly a traditonalist with these things and love the original designs but as an alternative I agree it's pretty striking.

nobodyhome Profile Photo
nobodyhome
#21re: Into the Woods question: 'Our Little World'
Posted: 2/23/09 at 11:40pm

"I went in thinking Wolpe would be WAY too old to be the Baker, but actually, it kinda made sense to have an older Baker, which makes the whole being childless thing a little more poignant. I was thinking they used the song, too."

It makes sense emotionally, but not when you think about the fact that Rapunzel is supposed to be a teenager and the Baker was supposed to have been "no more than a babe" when the events recounted by the Witch occurred. The Baker should probably be around 18 given Rapunzel's age (increased to 16-17 in the revival), but that doesn't make any sense either. It's one of those plot holes.

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#22re: Into the Woods question: 'Our Little World'
Posted: 2/24/09 at 6:00pm

"It's one of those plot holes."

The bit where Little Red Riding Hood slices open the wolf and retrieves Granny alive from inside his stomach is another. re: Into the Woods question: 'Our Little World'