pixeltracker

Who should play George and Dot/Marie in the 2008 Sunday Revival

Who should play George and Dot/Marie in the 2008 Sunday Revival

esparza 333
#1Who should play George and Dot/Marie in the 2008 Sunday Revival
Posted: 7/25/07 at 9:18am

I just feel that if this revival wants the critics praise and tony awards it will have to go with Raul Esparza as George and Keli O'Haraas Dot/Marie. I"ve heard that Raul has some new broadway revival but i still hope he could it. Who do you guys see in those roles

Current Avatar:The sensational Aaron Tveit in the soon to be hit production of Catch Me If You Can.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#2re: Who should play George and Dot/Marie in the 2008 Sunday Revival
Posted: 7/25/07 at 9:20am

Well, they've already been cast. Jenna Russel and Daniel Evans are coming over from London.

And if it wanted crtical praise and Tonys, why would they have to go with Raul and Kelli?

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.
Updated On: 7/25/07 at 09:20 AM

Yankeefan007
#2re: Who should play George and Dot/Marie in the 2008 Sunday Revival
Posted: 7/25/07 at 9:23am

Daniel Evans and Jenna Russell.

being.jeremiah
#3re: Who should play George and Dot/Marie in the 2008 Sunday Revival

It's Jenna Russell and Daniel Evans. The critically-acclaimed Jenna Russell and Daniel Evans.

esparza 333
#4re: Who should play George and Dot/Marie in the 2008 Sunday Revival

Because both Raul and Keli played those roles in other productons and were hailed has phenomenal by the critics. The critics were really pushing them to do the roles on broadway.

Current Avatar:The sensational Aaron Tveit in the soon to be hit production of Catch Me If You Can.

wonderfulwizard11
#5re: Who should play George and Dot/Marie in the 2008 Sunday Revival
Posted: 7/25/07 at 9:28am

Well, I don't know about Raul, but I don't think the critics were crazy about Kelli.

Here's a review from Variety:

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117932647.html?categoryid=33&cs=1

I think they're making a good choice to bring Russel and Evans over from Broadway. They're excellent on the CD.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Yankeefan007
#6re: Who should play George and Dot/Marie in the 2008 Sunday Revival

Well, both Raul and Kelli are busy and booked.

Hate to disappoint you.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#7re: Who should play George and Dot/Marie in the 2008 Sunday Revival

If you don't have the recording of this production yet I highly recommend it. Daniel Evans and Jenna Russell are marvelous.

wonderfulwizard11
#8re: Who should play George and Dot/Marie in the 2008 Sunday Revival
Posted: 7/25/07 at 9:30am

Does anyone else think the tempos for the songs are too damn slow? It makes the disc much less enjoyable for me.

esparza 333
#9re: Who should play George and Dot/Marie in the 2008 Sunday Revival
Posted: 7/25/07 at 9:34am

I agree wonderfulwizard. I think it makes the beautiful score lackluster.

ruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
#10re: Who should play George and Dot/Marie in the 2008 Sunday Revival
Posted: 7/25/07 at 11:18am

Daniel Evans and Jenna Russell (or Anna Jane Casey but that's NEVER gona happen!). End of story. They're brilliant and the production is beautiful.

All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#11re: Who should play George and Dot/Marie in the 2008 Sunday Revival
Posted: 7/25/07 at 12:05pm

I listened to the London recording of Sunday in the Park With George. Now, this is one of my favorite Sondheim shows, and whoever said the tempo needs to be picked up-it sure does. I was bored stiff for half the songs. I don't love Jenna Russell's voice either. She's fine. I'll definitely go see it because all I've seen is the Great Performances video with Bernadette and Mandy Patinkin. But, I can't say my overall first impression was that positive. I hope they pick it up and that Russell's voice is better onstage. I don't know-she seemed too tentative at times.
Looking forward to seeing it staged-it's so beautiful when the (spoiler) painting is shown with the people inside it. Love that moment.

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

Jazzysuite82
#12re: Who should play George and Dot/Marie in the 2008 Sunday Revival
Posted: 7/25/07 at 12:48pm

Yeah I'm not a fan of the Revival CD either. Everytime it comes up on my ipod I skip it. It really irks me for some reason. And Yes the tempos are REALLY slow. If anything on a recording they should be a little faster. It's a shame. I'm not one to ever think like this but Mandy and Bernedette kind of pissed all over those roles. It's gonna be hard to equal that.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#13re: Who should play George and Dot/Marie in the 2008 Sunday Revival
Posted: 7/25/07 at 12:52pm

Raúl is so wrong for the tone of this revival. And many critics didn't much like Kelli. And as people have already said, aside from the fact that the roles have been cast for months, those two are busy anyway.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 7/25/07 at 12:52 PM

Johnnytoc
#14re: Who should play George and Dot/Marie in the 2008 Sunday Revival
Posted: 7/25/07 at 1:05pm

I really want to know who the supporting cast will be. I hope they announce it soon.

Fenchurch
#15re: Who should play George and Dot/Marie in the 2008 Sunday Revival
Posted: 7/25/07 at 1:08pm

I think the tempos are great. They were waay too fast for that old recording, but hey, Im grateful I didnt have to hear those two old farts caterwaul any slower on the OBC recording. What a wonderful piece spoiled by two grossly overrated singers.

Im so grateful for the new recording.

"Fenchurch is correct, as usual." -Keen on Kean
"Fenchurch is correct, as usual." - muscle23ftl

Julian2
#16re: Who should play George and Dot/Marie in the 2008 Sunday Revival
Posted: 7/25/07 at 1:10pm

Speaking of pissing . . .

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!

wonderfulwizard11
#17re: Who should play George and Dot/Marie in the 2008 Sunday Revival
Posted: 7/25/07 at 1:11pm

Well despite my disagreement with you on Mandy and Bernadette, I disagree with you on the tempos. I think the score to Sunday is brilliant, but when taken to slow, I think it's just a bore. I want to fall asleep sometimes. I think the original tempos are just right.

I hope they are sped up for the revival.

mrkringas Profile Photo
mrkringas
#18re: Who should play George and Dot/Marie in the 2008 Sunday Revival
Posted: 7/25/07 at 2:06pm

This comment re tempo keeps coming up on US based boards....

Sunday in the Park was a critical smash in London. I dont know anyone who didnt love Daniel Evans and Jenna Russel in this production and every element of the show.

Wait and see for yourself and you will have a real treat. Shame they have to recast the supporting cast as we had some really territfic performances in that cast.

Fenchurch
#19re: Who should play George and Dot/Marie in the 2008 Sunday Revival
Posted: 7/25/07 at 2:21pm

The new performances on the new recording are magnificent. You actually hear...subtlety...in a Sondheim score...

I know...I almost dropped dead.

"Fenchurch is correct, as usual." -Keen on Kean
"Fenchurch is correct, as usual." - muscle23ftl

Parsley
#20re: Who should play George and Dot/Marie in the 2008 Sunday Revival
Posted: 7/25/07 at 2:25pm

I much prefer that London revival with Daniel Evans and Jenna Russell to the OBC which I found dull. This production was stunning - an utterly ravishing few hours in the theatre whereas when I saw it originally on Broadway although I enjoyed it I found the two lead performances curiously forced at times and it plodded along.

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#21re: Who should play George and Dot/Marie in the 2008 Sunday Revival
Posted: 7/25/07 at 2:41pm

Jenna Russell actually recorded the CD before ever going onstage in the show. Considering she'd hardly had any time to get to know her characters, she did a pretty good job. And she's bloody amazing in person.

buffyactsing Profile Photo
buffyactsing
#22re: Who should play George and Dot/Marie in the 2008 Sunday Revival
Posted: 7/25/07 at 2:52pm

"This ocean runs more dark and deep than you may think you know...I'll be the fear of the fire at sea." -Marie Christine
Updated On: 7/25/07 at 02:52 PM

joshy Profile Photo
joshy
#23re: Who should play George and Dot/Marie in the 2008 Sunday Revival
Posted: 7/25/07 at 3:29pm

Daniel Evans and Jenna Russell are just so so good in these roles, and I envy people who still have the excitement of witnessing their performances to come!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#24re: Who should play George and Dot/Marie in the 2008 Sunday Revival
Posted: 7/25/07 at 4:31pm

I don't have a problem with the tempos at all. The new orchestrations are extremely lush and beautiful. Dare I say better than the original orchestrations. Much better orchestrations than the two minimalist Doyle productions had.

Videos